Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW CLUB500 BUILD  (Read 6324 times)

Daniel

NEW CLUB500 BUILD
« on: December 28, 2006, 09:16:54 pm »

Hi Folks,
 ;DStarted building a lovely new club500 racing boat.
 ;)I have also started working on a new blog where you can see what I get up to in my boating adventures
http://www.floatingwombat.me.uk/blogs/index.php?blog=6   

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
Re: NEW CLUB500 BUILD
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 07:56:23 am »

I have built two Club 500 boats and have been racing them for a few seasons. Here are a few tips that should help with your build.

1. Model Slipway recommend the use of epoxy glue throughout the build but this tends to be rather brittle and the joints have a tendency to part company during the rough and tumble of racing. A better solution is to use an acrylic adhesive, which is more flexible and bonds better to the hull material. This can be quite expensive from some sources but Howes Models sell UHU Acrylit for about £4 a tube.

2. For the hull to deck join use the external version of No More Nails or an equivalent outdoor adhesive. This is very flexible and provides a good watertight seal.

3. In a collision the motor will tend to move forward and pull the universal joint apart. Gluing the metal ends of the joint to the centre section will help keep it together.

4. Water can enter the boat through the rudder tube. Stretch a small piece of silicon tubing over the end of the tube to provide a watertight seal between the rudder post and the tube. Keep the assembly well greased.   

5. Despite my best efforts, water always seems to enter the boat via the propshaft. I have tried various methods to stop this happening but now accept that water will enter the boat whatever I do to try and prevent it. Both my boats now have a piece of sponge under the top end of the propshaft where it joins the UJ and a plastic shroud, which catches any water thrown off the shaft/UJ as it spins.This water then drains back into the sponge. If anyone has a better solution I would like to hear it.

6. I prefer to use a double tiller arm on my rudder linkage as this provides a more precise response than a single linkage.

7. Leave about 1cm around the edge of the deck opening so that you can tape in a waterproof cover. Mine is made from an overhead projector transparency sheet cut to the correct size.       

These articles from Paul Oliver are also worth a read.

http://www.glue-it.com/boats/gallery/club500.html
http://www.glue-it.com/boats/gallery/club500-2.html

Neil

Daniel

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 09:31:07 am »

Thanks for the advice neil,
I shall make sure to follow your instructions very carefully.

Dan

Daniel

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 04:32:12 pm »

Hi Everyone,
New Update On The Blog Showing Both Parts Of The Hull Sanded Down And Fitted

Dan
http://www.floatingwombat.me.uk/blogs/index.php?blog=6

BobF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 05:19:43 pm »

Hi Daniel,

A couple of extra tips from a fellow club 500 racer, that are within the rules.

I would agree with fixing the flexi coupling, but this can cause another problem that is not always obvious.
If the boat has a front end impact, the inertia pulls the motor, coupling and shaft forwards. This can cause the thrust washer or nut at the prop end to bind on the prop tube, and causes drag. The effect is a slower boat and reduced running time.
To stop this happening, I fitted an aluminium plate to the back end of the motor housing using one of the two mounting holes which are not used to hold the motor. This then sits behind the motor mounting bracket and stops the motor going forwards after a collision. It is also essential, in my opinion to line up the motor coupling etc before fitting the deck, as access is limited to the front. It is not possible to over stress that the motor and shaft must be in perfect line. Failure to do this will result in a slower boat. This is a controlled class, and the only way to win, is a perfectly constructed boat and good driving.

Secondly, the rudder assembly will benefit from an easy mod. It is fitted into what I call the top hat assy.
This piece is glued to the hull, and then the rudder tube fits through it. This causes the tube to compress the hull. If not tight enough it will leak, if too tight it will , after a while, crack the hull. All I did to prevent this was to fit a second tube inside, so as the rudder tube is tightened it acts as a spacer between the hull and underside of the top hat. It must be the exact inside length or it will not work.

I will not blow my own trumpet, OK I will then, I was Club 500 world champion of Bridlington, for three years running,  ;D and if you visit our Web site you can see build instructions and tips for Club 500 boats.

Bob

http://www.fastelectricsrfun.co.uk/club500/CLUB500.htm

Daniel

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 11:43:59 am »

Hi Everyone,
After a few days of careful work, the club500 is starting to come to life.
I now have the motor position correctly and have the propeller shaft and rudder installed.
Shall post up some pics later on the blog

Dan

Daniel

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 04:40:54 pm »

Pics now up on blog

Dan

Daniel

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 02:30:13 pm »

My club500 is finished and now ready for the first sailing!!!!

Fast Electricals

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 10:06:15 am »

Have you managed to race your Club 500 yet? How did it go?

Neil

Daniel

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 12:56:12 pm »

Hi Niel,
Yes I have it out on the water a number now and It seems to run really well  {-)  O0 I am now looking at trying to get some more performance out of it.

Pic of Club 500 on  http://gallery2.floatingwombat.me.uk/main.php?g2_itemId=635&g2_navId=x7a801136

Thanks
Daniel

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 07:50:34 pm »

Looks good, now for your next project, whats it going to be,keep up the good work

Stavros

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2008, 09:03:28 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Daniel

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2008, 09:06:38 pm »

Thanks for that Martin.  O0
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.