Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how do you print plans?  (Read 2973 times)

Koldness

how do you print plans?
« on: December 28, 2006, 10:48:01 pm »

How do you print plans that you have downloaded.  I have JPG file but dont know how to print or what to print with. How do I get the JPG to the original size?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: how do you print plans?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 11:12:57 pm »

It can be a problem. First you have to get the computer file to the right size and then you have to ensure that the printer is properly calibrated too. I scanned in a miniature plan full size recently but when I print it out I have to enlarge it to 101.5% in Photoshop Elements in order to get the printer to reproduce it to the original size. If you are in the position of having to make up a full size plan out of A4 sheets I think it would be quite tricky. The obvious solution would be to print it out on a single A4 sheet and then use a copyshop to enlarge it but you could find that a lot of the detail is blurred.

I'd be very interested to see if anyone has cracked this particular issue using standard PC kit.

White Ensign

• Full Mayhemer
  • Limits must be limited!
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 07:56:42 am »

I use to make a CD and have a go to the next copy-shop or (if my boss is away) use the plotter/printer in our companies drawing dept. (psssst- keep it undercover!).

Jörg
When God created planet earth, he made it with 75% of water. Bet he had the modelboaters on his mind!

Welsh_Druid

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 12:02:09 pm »

I have printed plans from jpg's downloaded from the net. The results gave rather thick lines and a certain loss of detail depending on the amount of scaling up but were usable enough to build a model from  :)

I used Microsoft Publisher (97) because thats the version I have.  Within the programme options create a "custom blank page"  then "special size"  sizing the page to be slightly  bigger than you require for the finished plan.

Insert the jpg and resize it using the ruler guides on the top and side of the page  ( you will of course have specified the rulers to be imperial or metric as you require) to give the finished size you want the model to be.   

Print the plans using the "tile" option. This will give you several pages on whatever size paper you wish to use which can then be glued together. You can specify the overlap of the "tiled" pages to ensure accuracy when joining the sheets.

This is a fairly "low-tech" way of doing it but it worked for me  ;)

Don B

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 12:21:55 pm »

I use a fairly sophisticated drawing package called Microgafx Designer. This enables me to import a .jpg or any other file, scale it accurately to size, then resave it. Another major advantage is layering, so that the original can be on, say, layer 1 and tracings and line drawings on any other layers. Turning the layers on or off then enables any thing to be printed - which it does on A4 sheets -  with great accuracy - which can then be stuck together to produce a plan.

Rick

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 01:53:24 am »

My buddy has some software that will convert jpeg to CAD file.
He then copies to disk and takes it to the sign makeing shop and they cut the pieces out of ply with a computer controled router.
the one they use to cut the plastic letters on shop signs.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Joystick

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 11:34:51 am »

Hi First post here... You could try isoplot, its a program for printing out plans on any size paper A4 plus
It can rescale and also print out from many formats. Give it a try.
I found it by using the authors other program Profili for model aircarft, Its not free but he sends you a valid key for a few euros (paypal) when you reg it with him. Very nice guy.

Regards Pete C

Hagar

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 08:30:22 pm »

Dont forgt to look at your printer soft ware- I have a canon printer and within the drivers/software, there is a selection tab for format. 2x2 3x3 4x4 (2x4 3x4 for that matter) just say how many sheets by how many sheets and select print to edge og page. Press print and go find the sticky tape!

Another way to do it is to open Photoshop, make a new document in the size you want. open the ruler tool and divid the page up into A4 size grids. print the sections one at a time.
Go find the sticky tape.

by no means the cheapst but by far the easiest, by a plotter.....Na!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.