Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rotating Radar?  (Read 4740 times)

darthu812

Rotating Radar?
« on: November 13, 2009, 06:37:55 pm »

Hello
I wish to make the radar scanner on my "Our Lass" model rotate but im not sure how to go about it.
I have read posts on here about making radars rotate but im no sure if i could apply the same proceedures to my boat?
iI have seen the  "M7G MOTOR & GEARBOX"on action electronics and i was wondering if i could fit that to the radar.
What puzzled me was the particular position of the radar on the "Our Lass" as it has a stand on the mast above the wheelhouse which it sticks out from and i don't believe that the motor could fit inside the mast anywhere to drive the radar as the shaft has to be directly below the radar to work i imagine.
can anyone please help on suggesting how i could set up a motor, if possible to my boat to drive the radar?
Thanks.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Rotating Radar?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 06:52:37 pm »

We had a similar problem on one of our boats and we overcame it by having the motor hidden in the superstructure and the radar head connected by a very thin, stiff, length of piano wire.   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 06:58:19 pm »

When the radar sits on an extended arm it may be necessary to take the drive as vertical as possible and then introduce a belt into the horizontal arm followed by a further short vertical drive rod up into the radar. It can be done!

Roger in France

Harrison

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 02:07:28 pm »

A slightly cheaper and more reliable way may be to use two belt drive like wheels, one on the motor and one on the radar with some clear thin fishing line. You would possibly need to double wind both drums and maybe have the motor inside the main structure pivoting with a spring to keep the tension??

A possible way perhaps.

nsa66

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 02:14:36 pm »

I know it's a bit late to reply to this post but newer readers might find this information useful.

On my model of the Isle of Man turbine steamer KING ORRY (iv), I used a Robbe miniature geared motor (500:1 version). On 6v this gives an absolutely authentic scale speed. This has now been running for around 12 years without hitch - does need suppressor capacitors though to avoid radio twitch.

Luckily on the Orry, the radar is mounted atop its own deckhouse so hiding the motor was not an issue.

If you don't mind paying for the convenience (currently around £30 - Westbourne Models stock these) they are a very useful product. Incidentally, they come in 1000:1, 250:1 and 100:1 versions too.

PMK

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 05:18:22 pm »

...or this fellow might be able to help: http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/stuff1.php
(scroll down to "M7G and M3G Motors & Gearboxes").

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:30:47 pm »

I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 07:18:37 pm »

Small motors with gear drives...

http://www.gizmoszone.com/shopping/agora.cgi

I ran a wire up through the top of the superstucture, as I did not have the
space to hide the motor "in" the mast. Also, the mast is removable, so the wire
has a loop at the bottom that connects to a slotted brass drive rod.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5063488244993245944#
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.