Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: any clever dick's out there!  (Read 2974 times)

tony23

any clever dick's out there!
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:17:05 am »

Hi, I race sailing yachts called 'A'class and in that class we can use as many servos in the boat as we like so at the moment I have 3 servos in her one for the rudder one for the winch and one attached to the mainsail boom to adjust the leech in the sail.
I want to fit another winch so I can control the jib separate from the mainsail my question is I have seen the transmitter converted to a twin stick for the sails in other words fitted in the gimble are two sticks side by side can anybody tell me how this could be wired up I know I have to get another stick but any ideas.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: any clever dick's out there!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:58:45 pm »

You are talking about a f14 like this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROBBE-FUTABA-F14-NAVY-REMOTE-CONTROL-UNIT-MODEL-BOAT_W0QQitemZ300413008500QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item45f202ba74
I  think this one has the twin stick option, but it can also be upgraded to about 22 channels I believe. (someone will correcdt me on this!!)
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

tony23

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:04:37 pm »

gosh, I cannot believe you found that but I'm wanting to do the conversion on my own Spektrum DX6i and don't know how to go about it?

andyn

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:34:33 pm »

I believe you just missed out on a 22ch F14 on here for £200. Nevertheless it looks an easy conversion to do if you buy the split stick gimbals. You unscrew the rear of the case, and undo the the four allen head bolts on the front of the tx, throttle side. The stick until will come out, you need to unplug it from the board, taking not of which way the plugs go etc. Plug in new unit and screw in with the four allen bolts.

Where you get it from I can't remember, but I have seen one.

How about using the rudder axis on the throttle stick as this control, it'd save a lot of effort...

tony23

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:13 pm »

blimey I'm glad I missed it the one on Ebay went for £100  :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 04:32:10 am »

gosh, I cannot believe you found that but I'm wanting to do the conversion on my own Spektrum DX6i and don't know how to go about it?

The issue with dx6i is whether the gimble can be disassembled, and then rebuilt to support the
two sticks side by side. I don't doubt that it is possible to reconfigure the existing components.
It is just a matter of building the framework to support them in  that position.

I know one key to this is providing a center support between the two sticks.
But I have never seen anyone perform this mod to the dx6i... only the dx6.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 03:25:51 pm »

As Umi pointed out it's a mechanical job as opposed to an electrical one. You need to move the potentiometer from the x-plane to the y-plane. This means a bit of scratch building on your part I'm afraid.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 11:54:21 pm »

One of the issues with the Robbe/futaba twin sticks, is whether the potentiometer values
will match the Spektrum specifications. It may require that the pots be switched out of
the DX-6i and placed into the Robbe assembly. Best case scenario is that it might only
require a couple of resistors are added, in line, to balance the values.

:)

What I would like,... er, like to know, is if the two center slides here are proportional.
They could be used for sail control, or twin throttles, and then the sticks could be used
for ASD/Schottle control.

http://www.spektrumdx10t.de/vorteile.html

It's not just a transmitter, it's a tool box...  O0

8)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.