Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Motor for Tug  (Read 2255 times)

class27

Motor for Tug
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:13:32 pm »

I am about to start on Tyne Tugs Alfred kit and I have found a hectaperm motor in the leftovers box from years ago will it be OK with this model I think the prop will be nearly 4". so something with a reduction gear would work best  anybody out there venture an opinion ? Also what would be best for a speed control last time round I used Bob's boards (remember them) I assume things have moved on since then
cheers

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Motor for Tug
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:20:01 pm »

I have a 12v Hectaperm in a Model Slipways Envoy class and it performs exceptionally well and I would hazard a guess at the prop being in the region of three inches.

I have had it on the water for well over an hour and a half and it hasn't shown signs of slowing down and that's connected to a 12v 7ah battery, which drives a JJC Old Smokey as well, although that takes next to nothing.

The only downside is that they can be a bit noisy so a bit of sound in sulation may be usefull as well as a flexible means of mounting such as a rubber or silicone base etc.

Apart from that I think it's a great motor and I'd be more than happy to use it again if I had the chance.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

wesley

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 09:48:20 pm »

I have just bought a Lady Jan off of a fellow club member (just to get me back on the water) and it is fitted with a MMB 900 running on 6 volts driving a 3 1/2" 4 blade prop and I have sailed it pretty much all day on a 7ah battery so the motor must be pulling less than 2 amps on load (note to self..... Must invest in a decent multimeter) and it is quiet as well!!!

Andrew.

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 01:42:58 pm »

I would use an electronise speed controller every time, they are faultless, to save a bob or two you can buy them in kit form as well, they have never let me down, I have used allsorts of other ones but for tug work they are the best. I drive a bosch car fan motor on a 15amp one at 12 volts, my smaller tug has a 900 size motor with a 15 amp controller as well, you get no high pitchwhining or strange noises with them at all.

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 08:40:25 pm »

Hi, your hectoperm will be ok as long as you use the geared end, use silicone grease on the gears to keep the noise down & also you may not need a sound generator. It should run all day as the amp draw is negligible.
                                                     Nemesis
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.