Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soldering - soldering wick  (Read 2203 times)

seefalke

Soldering - soldering wick
« on: January 23, 2007, 06:23:54 pm »

Hi all

I purchased something from  'Proops' at the Ally Pally 'London Model Engineering Show' on Sunday called solder wick.
It looks like finely braded copper wire and I'm told its WONDERFUL for removing 'blobs' of excess solder from a joint.
Can any body tell me how its used?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Soldering - soldering wick
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:42:57 pm »

Hi, just hold the end of the 'wick' on the solder to be removed and heat the joint with a soldering iron and the solder runs up the wick by capillary action.
You can also get a de-soldering unit.  Works like a bicycle pump in reverse.  You press in the pump end, melt the joint and hold the tip against the melted solder, release the holding button and a spring releases and  whoosh up it goes into a small chamber which you empty if you remember!
regards Roy.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:26:16 pm »

I bought some of that once - I suppose its in the shed somewhere ..... But wouldn't a gash bit of multicore flex, well fluxed, work just as well?

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 11:16:47 pm »

I use the screening braid from aerial cable myself - cheap as chips. It's brill for use as the connection between cells in a DIY battery pack as well, because it's flexible and it's usually tinned, so it soaks up the solder.
Works for me, but I haven't tried flossing me teeth with it yet............suit yourselves!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.