Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy removal of old prop & rudder tubes  (Read 2990 times)

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
Easy removal of old prop & rudder tubes
« on: December 28, 2006, 11:26:54 pm »

Have seen a few posts on this topic, The method I use on fibreglass & wood, is to heat  both ends of tube with a
25 watt soldering iron  1 to 2 minutes grip tube with pliers or gas grips Gently twist (rotate) tube and pull out,
if tube does not moved first time just repeat heat with iron.
I had to remove the old  proptube, rudder tube, water cooling and two exhaust tubes from boat I am rebuilding
see pic, the prop and exhaust tubes were through the hull and a wood bulkhead, glassed in, epoxied and araldited,
tubes were brass aluminium and copper
dazzle (Bob) 
Don't Hit the Rescue Dinghy

catengineman

Re: Easy removal of old prop & rudder tubes
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 01:22:33 am »

would it not be easier to cut the items off flush then countersink drill the area ans back fill with resin  if the areas were not to be used again or am I on the wrong thinking here? ???
A dremmel with a disc cutter can be a valued piece of equipment, when wearing the correct safety 'stuff'.but what would I know I'm half P###ed as Its New Year's day/morning (and I'm a sad old model er) who's got nowt to do at this time..... ;) ;D

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 09:48:44 am »

Hi all, slightly off the thread but several years ago I was repairing a plastic type lawnmower.  There were several metal screws which did not respond to turning in either direction.  I applied a (heated) 100 watt soldering iron to the screw head for a short time and the screw came out very easily.
regards Roy

dazzle

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 03:20:09 pm »

Hi all, catengineman the exhaust tubes were 13" long and totaly enclosed, so no chance with a small disk cutter, also I needed to remove these completely. You cannot always get easy access with  a dremel etc, And one slip you will do more damage.
No need to do things twice, cut then countersink, also new proptube fits so snug theres hardly any need for filler.
I have use this method on lots of different boats, Simple and Easy.
Happy New Year to All
dazzle (Bob)
Don't Hit the Rescue Dinghy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.