Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Puffer steering set up  (Read 2122 times)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
Puffer steering set up
« on: March 29, 2010, 10:45:35 pm »

Hy Guy,s
I am about to make a start on a 1/24 puffer, looking on the plan it had the normal old chain linkage steering fitted to a tiller arm, and the rudder itself was hung on pintals on the stern., My Question is,,, how is the rudder set up to the servo and still be hidden below decks when the rudder is outside the hull ?,  do I have to have a linkage system that,,, (1) runs across the aft deck, or (2 ) do I have to have a push /pull linkage that goes below decks and through the stern section and on to a bar fitted across the rudder stock. Hope that all makes sense.
Thanks in advance.
 Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

chingdevil

Re: Puffer steering set up
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:14:15 pm »

My Sealight Puffer has a rudder servo under the deck, connectd to a tiller arm  and the chains are just for show. The Highlanders I have seen have the rudder servo arm coming through a hatch at the rear and onto the rudder over the back of the deck, again the chains are just for show. I have actually added aother servo and the chains on my Sealight move, rudder servo and chain servo joined by a Y lead.

Brian

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 11:43:16 pm »

Hy Brian
Thanks for the quick reply,
I was thinking that linkage across the aft deck was the way to go, and maybe putting the servo into the wheelhouse, or maybe some sort of houseing behind the wheelhouse would be better as the rudder linkage would,nt be to much in view. I like the idea of the second servo on the false chain, definately food for thought I will have a look at it tomorrow.
Many thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 11:49:06 pm »

This was mine....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 11:58:57 pm »

Thanks Martin
That,s great, I went right through your build ( a couple of times in fact) but could,nt find any reference to the steering, nice job :-))
Many Thanks
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.