Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sun XXI Tug build  (Read 3698 times)

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
Sun XXI Tug build
« on: April 05, 2010, 06:03:22 pm »

I have just purchased an unbuilt kit of the above mentioned tug, but afraid the box has no build instructions or plans.

Does anyone here have anything they could either email me with or by mutual agreement, would be willing to photocopy and post to me.

any assistance would be appreciated please.

Or the kit will be built to my own design [which, er, well, may not be as it was originally intended] Ha ha.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Sun XXI Tug build
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 07:34:22 pm »

This one by any chance?
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

farrow

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:36:24 pm »

Having been on the old girl in my youth (my Dad was her Chief Engineer for a few years), I believe the Flying Bridge arrangement is incorrrect on this model. The old man steered the vessel from a tiller and he had a single morse control handle for the engine revs ( the ahead and astern moves where conducted in the engine room by the engineer). I remember being up there with the old man, when the tug was stern drag on a Royal Mail vessel from the river lock through to her berth in the Royal Victoria berth, it was an interesting experience as the master gave me a running commentary on what he was doing and why, also how they used to communicate with the pilot before the use of VHF radio's.

tugmad

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 08:23:17 am »

Hello Old Dodes   they were the days dragging down the royals and then through the cut into the KG V  for the lock ,,what memories ,,double banked ships and craft of all sorts laying around and the smell of the eggs and bacon first thing on a cold morning,  look at the docks now you have to duck or your head gets cut off by low flying planes ( if they are flying).      Geo.

number-1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »

I have built this model a few years back and sold it on, my father in law also purchased this tug as a retirement project but soon gave it up and has past it on to me, its still lurking in my loft.
From what I remember theres a lot of oversize parts that need replacing such as bulwark supports and handrail they also include a lump of wood to carve a lifeboat from!

cheers, Les

farrow

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 04:06:39 pm »

Hi Tugmad, Yeah I left my Dockyard apprenticeship in 1969 to work on Crescent Shipping motorbarges, I spent my next 7 years or so working on the Thames before I went back into the Dockyard at Chatham to work on the PAS boats. Yeah I remember the double banking in the KG dock especially with the Port Line vessels, I was telling Shipmate 60 how the lightermen would shoot their lighters into the docks and let them drift around etc. I went up the Thames a couple of years ago a few times to the Lower pool, the river had changed completely, virtually all the old working wharfs had gone, no local trade work on the river to speak off, the river as far as I was concerned was completely dead. I thought it was funny, when it was really busy there was no VTS system, now you cannot do anything without asking for permission or you have to have a pilot, PROGRESS !!!!!!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 21 queries.