Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone do woodturning please?  (Read 2109 times)

Edmund

Anyone do woodturning please?
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:18:09 pm »

:-) Hello , can anyone turn me a couple of boat chimleys please? I tried moulding some in halves from GRP with hmm results, mebbe after a few they might turn out aright %%

thanks,
Ed.

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Anyone do woodturning please?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 08:11:42 am »

What size and shape are you looking for?

I usually do my funnels by cutting a flat cross-section former for top and bottom, then rolling newspaper with a layer of Cascamite on it around the formers. It gives a very light yet stiff shape. and I have no problems doing angled funnels of a teardrop cross section.... 

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:45:28 am »

DG's roll your own is ideal for tubular or slightly oval shapes, but to resurect another, for the "Streamlined shapes, formers for top and bottom profiles and pin them to a block of pink/blue/green EXTRUDED polystyrene foam (The dense one NOT the compressed bubble type) and attack with a sanding stick. Even though it's light, you can save a few extra grammes by hollowing, much cheaper than using block Balsa.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:04 pm »

Try a plastics warehouse- we have one near us that stocks everything from plumbing fittings to bubblewrap, conduit to roof vents, you name it, as long as it's plastic they stock it!

They would probably have a plastic tube of the right diameter and may also be able to help with a moulding that you could shape with a heat gun and glue round the funnel.

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Edmund

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 01:57:46 pm »

Sorry not been on fer a while.
They are both cylinders about 6" tall and 1¼" diameter.
Another way is I could make the sections from 1¼" dowel if I could find some and make the rings from thin ply, I made the GRP mould this way but using lots of ½" discs glued together to form a cylinder, I would prefer it hollow though and dowel aint real easy to drill along the grain if it beech or summet.
I did get some waste pipe , pronlem is polystyrene sections don't take to ABS or PVC  :((
The GRP worked quite well , it just tight in the mould, especially at the fancy bottom bit.
So I will have another think ....

Ed.  :-)

Oh and it should be straight , it my dodgy photoshopping  {-)

Edmund

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 07:39:50 pm »

Now taken care of .  :-))

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.