Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: west country trading schooner  (Read 7922 times)

meatbomber

Re: west country trading schooner
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2010, 04:39:54 pm »

Another thing with the brigantine is the technique when tacking of handling the squares..
Especially in strong winds after sheeting in the main i need to slightly square the fore yards to spill some air from the sail to make her head up, that's a fine line between shivering the sails and letting them go aback. Once she heads up you brace the yards again to maintain the same angle relative to the wind as long as you can..
works for me :)

Hammer

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2010, 05:23:25 pm »

Greggy, I can't find your thread on the trawler build, but I know you are having trouble planking the stern. May I suggest you make a former and laminate thin strips to shape, then fix them to the model. You should have no problems sailing the trawler Mine is smaller   (5/8=1ft)than yours and it sails beautifully. It dose have a center plate raised and lowered by remote but the only effect is to reduce leeway, however the expanding rudder, again by remote dose make a difference.
Brooks, I will try to explain the furling mechanism. I have a high torque servo with metal gears, fitted with arms 2.5 inches long set at 180 degrees, so one cord comes in wile the other goes out. The cord going out lowers the topsail yard, the cord going in pulls the yard down and pulls the clue of the top gallant up, along with the bunt lines of both sails. And of course the other way around to set. In this case the cord raising the top sail yard also pulls the top gallant down. There are bowsies approx: 4inch up the mast for adjustment.  All other rigging is as full size. Square sail sheets operate from blocks on the shrouds. In the bottom photo can be seen the windlass handles just laying on the hatch cover, one is there to guide the stay sail sheet and prevent tangles. I see the foot rope has come undone on the top sail yard.  Hammer

Brooks

Furling
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2010, 06:27:16 pm »

Thanks for the detailed photos and explanation of your furling setup. Neat accomplishment, Hammer. The views of the upper rigging are cool; working out the jobs of the various lines is fun.

Greggy1964

« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2010, 11:46:19 pm »

Hello Hammer,

The thread you are looking for is here http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19422.0

I don't have a problem with planking of the stern as such, I built this ship with scale planking to a smaller scale years ago (I have some photos somewhere)

I want to represent the stern frame timbers to scale and then plank to scale over the frames, the idea being that the plank seams were a prominent feature and at the scale I'm building at I want this to show, I will continue my build log and show how I plank to scale soon.

Building will recommence in a month or two, I have other projects on the boil that need to be completed first :-))

Your innovative sailing models are a treasure and I will certainly be taking a leaf from your book and incorporating it into Master Hand :-))

I am curious how you dealt with controlling the foresail on your sailing trawler, presumably it runs on an iron horse across the deck as it does on Master Hand.

I want to show this arrangement to scale yet still control the sheet by sail winch, how have you dealt with this?

Greggy1964

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2010, 12:00:52 am »

Hello Freebooter,

Sorry, I missed your post earlier :embarrassed:

Your square riggers are beautiful, I would love to build such a working RC ship in the future and I have been following you thread sat in the wings :-)) for inspiration.

Greg

Hammer

« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2010, 09:15:52 pm »

Greggy,I don't think you need inspiration after seeing you trawler build. Real dedication there. hammer.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.