Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BL 12" Mk V111 Guns  (Read 2909 times)

Captain Povey

BL 12" Mk V111 Guns
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:52:07 pm »

Hi All, My rebuild of the 'Deans Marine Majestic 'into a HMS Caesar (1896) is grinding on but I am at a loss for details of the 12" guns. {:-{ All the reference books I have looked at say that Caesar and Illustrious had round barbettes not pear shaped ones. I have a cross section and plan of Mk V111 guns but am struggling to construct the turret shape from them and I cannot find a picture of the turret shape. I even went to Hay on Wye, (claims to be the book centre of the world) looking for information but no luck. It seems that what are probably the best reference books such as Oscar Parkes Battleships 1868-1950 or British Battleships 1889-1904 by Ray A Burt are very expensive and I am loathe to buy them without viewing first. So my question is does anybody out there have copies of these and would they mind having a look to see if they contain any views I need. If they have then I may well splash out on them. Thanks, Graham. :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BL 12" Mk V111 Guns
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »

I have Parkes and there is some info there. If you PM me your email I will send you some rough photos. No point in posting them on here as they would not be clear enough. If any of them are useful I can do you a proper scan.

The interesting thing is that Parkes states that the mountings in Caesar and Illustrious were effectively prototypes for the next Canopus class and there is a line drawing of that which I have photographed.

Hope this helps,

Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:14:43 pm »

Any use? (Image of Jupiter's forward turret).

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Captain Povey

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 08:16:02 am »

Thanks Colin, That sounds very useful. I will PM my email address. Thanks Andy. I think Jupiter had different guns but will check. Cheers, Graham.

Captain Povey

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25:25 am »

Hi Andy, Well having looked again at your posting yopu are right that might be it. Thanks again. Graham.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 09:02:14 am »

Have you a copy of "The Big Gun" (Hodges) which has some info and drawings of the BIII mounting fitted to Caesar and Illustrious?

Rick

Captain Povey

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 09:24:38 am »

Hi Rick, No I dont have a copy of that publication. I will look out for it. Thanks. Graham.

Captain Povey

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 09:44:18 am »

Hi all, I suppose my confusion arose because some illustrations that I have show the turret within the confines if the Barbette but some photos, like the one in the earlier posting show the turret over hanging the Barbette. Attached is a rather poor picture of the model so far. Minus - masts, anchor chains, stanchions & railings, some boat & anchor davits, some ladders and of course the guns. Some way to go yet but I am hoping to get it to Warwick this year. Cheers Graham.

Captain Povey

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:56:54 am »

Hi rick, My second hand copy of 'The Big Gun' arrived by post this morning. I had a quick look through befrore setting of to wiork and it looks great. Lots of useful info and diagrams. Thanks again. Graham.

PS Just an update picture with the masts and round vac formed Barbettes in place.

Captain Povey

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 12:34:58 pm »

Hi all, Just an update as the turrets are now complete as are the stachions and railings from J Lane. Only some ladders and rigging to finish, plus a bit more paint. Nearly there then. :-)) Cheers Graham
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.