Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Malcolm Mclaren...RIP  (Read 2138 times)

Patrick Henry

Malcolm Mclaren...RIP
« on: April 08, 2010, 09:29:24 pm »

Just heard on the radio that Malcolm Mclaren, one time manager of the Sex Pistols, would be MP, and well known entrepreneur, died of cancer today.

I remember seeing the Pistols play in London, in some grotty club one night...although not really my scene, you had to like them. (if you didn't they'd spit on you...)

Malcolm Mclaren...RIP.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Malcolm Mclaren...RIP
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:52:17 pm »

Sad - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8610423.stm
 Quite the weirdo Impresario with a real gift for spotting unusual musical  talent.
 I still have is Duck Rock album...  :-))

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 05:50:04 am »

Just my take on this:
Sex Pistols, I absolutely abhorred them, in my own opinion music and entertainment hit it's biggest low when they came on the scene.
I didn't find it musical, talented, entertaining and not at all grown up, it was' in yer face sh*t', just there to shock and I used to hit the 'off' button when they came on.
Apart from that, I know nothing of the man so his passing leaves me unnaffected.

Signed: Grumpy ole git who woke up too early this morning! :((

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:11:50 am »

Blimey, If I woke up that bad I'd go back to bed again!!

Music is like everything else, there has to be room for all tastes and I think remaining open minded ensures that you don't miss out on anything.  Although I was not particularly receptive to the Sex Pistols I did think that bands such as The Stranglers produced some superb tracks and they were usually labelled as "Punk" as well.  It's a bit like "Rap", I generally loath it with a passion but every now and then a track comes along and I think "OK That was pretty good"

As for Malcolm McLaren there's no denying he had a substantial impact on the music industry and having a number of extreemly close contacts with cancer only recently I will never say anyone who dies of it will not have an effect on me.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

wesley

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 07:33:55 am »

Just my take on this:
Sex Pistols, I absolutely abhorred them, in my own opinion music and entertainment hit it's biggest low when they came on the scene.
I didn't find it musical, talented, entertaining and not at all grown up, it was' in yer face sh*t', just there to shock and I used to hit the 'off' button when they came on.
Apart from that, I know nothing of the man so his passing leaves me unnaffected.

This is just the reaction that Malcolm would be looking to get from 'the establishment' (still having the last laugh from the other side!!!). OK the Sex Pistols couldn't play, but you still remember them.
He gave the music industry a big shake up by legally "ripping off" EMI and A&M record labels (they broke their contracts, not Malcolm) and only Virgin records had the nerve to stay with him.

As for controversy, what Malcolm and the Sex Pistols did is all rather tame when compared to todays current batch of pop stars and what they sing about and get up to in their videos.

Notoriety, infamy call it what you will, Malcolms' legacy will live on in music history.

RIP Malcolm....

Andrew.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 08:55:43 am »

Just my take on this:

Blimey Chris...go make another cuppa, mate!!

I can't say as I really liked the SP's, I was always a Floyd fan, but when you're stuck out in London, run out of driving hours, and got nothing to do for the night....well, it was just something to do. I was the odd one out in that place, everybody else had stuck up hairstyles, safety pins in the their ears and wore bin liners...I had long(ish)hair and was dressed in t-shirt and jeans.

It was...different, to say the least. To be honest I'd rather listen to the SP's than some of today's music, but the old saying applies I guess...'each to their own'.

MM was a strange man to be sure...strange, but a shrewd business man. I hope that when he arrives at the Golden Gates they are firmly bolted down....

hopeitfloats

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2010, 11:20:53 am »

Just my take on this:

i used to think the same too but i actually enjoy listening to them now. even managed to get a copy of
'never mind the "xxxxx" - here's the sex pistols' on vinyl recently.  i cant get into Rap though and dont think i ever will or want to.

pasty

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2010, 01:27:56 pm »

Malcom Mclaren will be smiling now in the knowledge he can still provoke such black and white opinions.
     In my forties i fondly remember those years and still think the album '' Never Mind The B*ll*cks'' is still one of the greatest rock albums ever, and yes i still have a copy. It still makes me smile when i play it now and again. I still like the slightly edgy music even now. Wether i would have liked the bloke if i met him i am not sure about, but we always need people like him to give the institution a kick up the 'bottom' now and again.
     No matter what anyones opinion is about the Punk era, everyone must consider it important and a reflection of the decade when it started. I consider it a spring clean of the music scene at the time and gave disenchanted youth of the seventies a voice, fed up with the politics and 15 min prog rock solo's. Don't think the Seventies was a great decade otherwise, things were getting pretty bad by the end. It gave the teenager a chance to pick up an instrument and express themselves in a 2 or 3 min song, when otherwise they would have bottled it all up.
      Wether Malcom Mclaeran actually invented Punk Rock is debatable, Iggy Pop and the Stooges for one example comes to mind. But he definitley gave it the British Edge and it kick started some great bands including The Clash, The Damned and Souxsie & Banshees to name a few. Don't forget the fashion either, with Vivien Westwood of course. Mohicans in London were a much photographed subject for visitors.
       Anyway, RIP Malcom and thankyou for the great music and memories. ( actually not sure if RIP is appropiate for him  ok2)

Craig.

pasty

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2010, 02:20:36 pm »

Just found a quote from John Lydon ( Johnny Rotten),
  '' Above all else he was an entertainer and i will miss him, and so should you''.

Couldn't put it better myself.

barryfoote

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 02:27:10 pm »

Just my take on this:

Not just your take on it. I am with you, wholeheartedly....I could not have put it better myself. :-)) :-))

Another grumpy old git!! :-) :-)

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 02:53:30 pm »

On this forum the word 'Gog' is often used
Now we all know!

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.