Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's woodworking Jim, but not as WE know it!  (Read 9222 times)

gondolier88

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.coniston-regatta.co.uk
    • Coniston Regatta
Re: It's woodworking Jim, but not as WE know it!
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »

...I am part way through building a sailing model very similar.
regards Roy

Wow, a sailing bed- now that IS something. %)

Greg
Don't get heated...get steamed up!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2010, 02:30:08 pm »

It's a bedspringer! %% %% %% %%
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Greggy1964

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2010, 02:44:37 pm »

A case of mistaken thread me thinks? :-)) O0 {-)

Greggy1964

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:46 pm »

Right!

The wood turning lathe works . . . . . . .  %)

Sort of . . . . .

The motor turns at 11000 rpm :o and at that speed 3" square by 6ft long post whips between the two centre like a flag pole in a hurricane! :o

>>:-( >>:-(

Which is quite alarming to watch! :o O0 {-)

Plan B - Bin direct drive idea {:-{

The need to reduce the speed at the lathe spindles right down

Time to sit and stare at the scrap pile again until summat jumps out at me.

. . . . . hmmm gears?

. . . . . nope ain't got none!

Chain drive?

Yup we got lots of old pedal bikes in the pile :-))

Take one old 5 speed racer sprocket and weld it to a thick walled tube which is a drive fit on the motor shaft and weld the free wheel bit while we're at it, this gives me gear

Then take an old BMX bike frame and kill it

Pick out of the bones the bottom bracket, pedal spindle and 44 tooth chain wheel . . . . . . .

Now we're cooking on gas!

This is just a mock up to give you an idea what I'm up to

5 speed sprocket welded to spacer tube, this gives me 1:3, 1:2.6, 1:2.2, 1:1.8 and 1:1.6 gear ratios. This give me an rpm range at the spindles of between 3667 and 6875.

Back side spindle

The head stock will be set up so that the selected sprocket on the motor will line up with the chain wheel with some sort of chain tensioner to take up the slack

Hopefully all this will allow the bed legs to turn at a more sedate speed :-)) ;)

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2010, 07:52:23 pm »

Greggy,

Have you been on scrapheap challenge by any chance?

You look as though you have a terrific collection of odds and sods in you yard :-))  Do you ever throw anything away? {-)!

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Greggy1964

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 08:34:17 pm »

Hello Ian  :-)

I confess I haven't but I love those programs :-))

I have a knack for visualising a machine or whatever and seeing components for it in the scrap pile.

I tend to go along going oooh! that might be useful and adding it to my collection O0 {-)

I do own a 1930's metal lathe but prefer to utilise parts that just need modifying rather than making new ones for my wood turning project.

steamboatmodel

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2010, 12:44:10 am »

I had a collection of junk like that at one time, the local councel stole it and then billed me.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:17 am »

Greggy,

Maybe you should post here as well: http://madmodder.net/index.php brings an alternative view to things  :-))

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Greggy1964

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 10:13:03 am »

Thanks Ian  :-))

I hadn't spotted that site.

I thought I was the only crackpot/tinkerer  O0 {-), there are thousands of us!

At last! somewhere I belong! ;)

Regards

Greg

Greggy1964

« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:35 pm »

Still on with the headstock of my wood turning lathe :-))

Lately I've been thinking how to get the drive from the motor into the end of the work piece so that it is gripped in place and spun at a respectable speed for turning up.

So far we have geared the motor down to a headstock comprising of an old BMX bottom bracket which just happens to have a hexagonal drive shaft . . . . . . . .

So what to do next?

Sometimes the ideas hit me straight away and other times it takes a few days of staring at various bits and pieces and mooching around the yard staring at the scrap heap.

I needed inspiration so I went on line and had a peek at how the real boys do it :o

Having watched a few youtube videos on wood turning, I returned to the scrap pile knowing what I wanted.

Here is the drive dog for the headstock I've come up with.

Time to wake my old 1930's Colchester Triumph lathe from her winter slumber O0

This is the front face with four teeth to grip the end face of the work piece, these are let into slots cut with a cutting disc in my angle grinder and welded from the back.

The teeth were held in place for welding by a jubilee clip ok2

Here is the back face comprising of an old 3/4" cheapo 1/4" drive socket which fits nicely on our hexagonal drive shaft ;) :-)) this is simply welded to the back face of the steel disk I turned up.

The whole thing was held in the jaws of my lathe and held square by a piece of bar gripped in me tail stock chuck while the 3/4" socket was welded to the back of the drive dog assembly.

Here we have the hexagonal drive shaft with an axle off and old child's bike front wheel, the spindle happily is the same thread as the bolt that used to hold the pedal crank here.

The turned end piece is a bearing cone from the same wheel ground to a point with the tip of the spindle, this will centre the work piece while the four teeth will grip the its end face and spin it against the bite of my chisel while the bed legs are turned up O0.

The centre point was achieved by running the lathe motor and shaping the cone and the end of the axle bolt with a hand held angle grinder O0  while the whole thing was spinning.

Here is the whole thing assembled :-)) :-)

Next I'm going the weld the headstock to the bench frame and reposition the motor mounting brackets, all aligned with the tailstock.

Here is a side view of the whole head stock, cool eh? %) {-)

Greggy1964

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2010, 10:53:12 am »

Hello Steamboatmodel,

I had a collection of junk like that at one time, the local council stole it and then billed me.

My scrap pile is kept in my two sheds for the most part in my yard, the Council can't touch it.

I have found people mooching around in my yard looking for scrap metal eyeing up my collection which annoys me as they are trespassing.

But I show them my two hairy crocodiles and they don't come back.

I'm toying with the idea of making a cat flap in my back door only for big dogs so they can come and go from the house to they yard.

But Rex and Simba know folks that live here by the sound of their foot falls so strangers are easily spotted and they warn me :-)) {-)

It's sad that it has to be that way, but one has to guard ones treasure :-)) %)

{-) {-)

My dogs are huge but soft . . . . . . . but they don't know that! O0 {-) {-) {-)

I keep the neighbours sweet because I'm good at fixing stuff so I come in handy.

I love creating things from scrap and throw aways stuff to make useful objects

Greggy1964

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2010, 12:59:54 pm »

It's been a while since I posted but I've finally got this thing sorted and I'm enjoying my cosy new bed.

I decided in the end not to turn my bed legs as this slowed up the project, later this summer I might turn a set of legs but for now they are octagonal in section.

Here is a sequence of photos of construction from where I left off to the end result.

Headboard and bottom leg with RHS top & bottom side rails in place. The wide bottom boards have cupped as they have dried so the boards and clamps are to straighten things out so the tenon will fit its mortise! >>:-(

Same again but with spindles installed and glued.

All for corners in place with mattress support beams jury rigged to get an idea of size.

Both sides complete, just the footboard to finish. The bed is being constructed in my front room and the kitchen is my temporary workshop which is cleaned and tidied after each session  ;) The bed is turned 90 degrees from last photo so the kids can at least watch TV from the sofa!  O0 {-)

The completed bed in place in my tiny box bedroom showing access ladder and wardrobes and chest-of-draws underneath.

View from bedroom doorway

The storage cubbyhole under the bed, my dogs love this spot  :-))

Here is the foot of my new bed with chest-of-drawers tucked underneath, this whole exercise is about saving 1562 square inches of floor space that was taken up by wardrobes in their old positions and opening up the 5104 square inches of floor space wasted underneath my old kingsize bed :-))

My nest in the sky :}

Bottom RHS corner post showing the 10 trennels holding all together, each blind trennel hole passes through the post, through the tenon and into the post the other side. 1/2" dowels are glued and driven in the tight holes bored for them and wedged in true boatbuilding fashion.

That's Molly one of my moggies enjoying her new comfy high rise perch! ;)

The mortise & tenons plus trennels holding the side beams in place are all dry fitted - no glue so that at some later date these trennels can be carefully drilled out and the whole bed will flat pack Ikea fashion  :-))

Here is a close up of the trennels planed flush with the post  ;)

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 01:07:11 pm »

But aren't the ladders a bit steep for the Dogs?

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Greggy1964

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2010, 02:01:49 pm »

Hmmm!  >:-o

Yes! The dogs did enjoy sneaking onto my old bed when no-one was looking >>:-(

Yes the ladder is too steep and they cannot get onto my bed in the skybut any longer

But both Rex & Simba seem quite content to accept to cubbyhole created underneath as a compromise :-)) {-)

But the steep ladder presents no problems for the cats though, as they climb it with ease %) . . . . . . . . .

But seem to prefer to climb down by launching themselves from the top rail of the bed? :o

Big Ada

« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »

Great bed, I know what it is like trying to get comfy with 4 cats muscling in !.
Do you wear a Hard Hat in bed so you dont bang your head on the ceiling or is there enough room?. :}

Len.

soldier151

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2011, 12:42:56 am »

Still looking for the boat??????????
Soldier151

Greggy1964

« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2011, 02:33:21 pm »

Big Ada said:

Do you wear a Hard Hat in bed so you don't bang your head on the ceiling or is there enough room?.

I'm 18" across the shoulders which is all I need to roll over while asleep, there is 29" of clearance between mattress and ceiling, I can sit bolt upright and my head just brushes the ceiling. Ask any submariner . . . . . . . they would kill for this amount of headroom in their bunk! :-)) O0 {-)

It takes a little getting used to but I find it quite cosy plus warm air rises so its warmer up there that at more normal sleeping chamber levels!

Soldier 151 said:

Still looking for the boat??????????

Apologies to those following my boat build, its not abandoned, just on the back burner and not at the forefront of my mind at the moment. In the spring I hope for the creative juices to be re-ingnited so watch this space  ;) :-))

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 22 queries.