Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BATTERY REMINDER  (Read 2588 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
BATTERY REMINDER
« on: December 30, 2006, 07:01:48 am »

Hi All  ;)

Just to remind you not to forget your batteries

I topped up my Gell Cells for a few hour as the  only way to know their state is a meter test.

Ni-cads,Ni-Mh I discharged them (almost) by running them down on a model ,Hope this does the trick ?

Now I see we have Lipos. Don't know much about these,except a balanced charger/charge and they will run all day ???

I would like to get a charger that charges all types of battery,saves a lot of hassle.

Martin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: BATTERY REMINDER
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:31:13 am »

Hi all, I have been gradually moving over to Nimh cells but I am a bit bovvered.  I use 2 AA cells in my camera and  after a week in the camera they are almost discharged, whether I use it or not.  The cells are Sanyo 2500 and only a few months old, and I have been through 3 sets of cells in 2 years. The spare pair are OK and work the camera when fitted.  I charge them 4 at a time.

I noticed a similar situation with leaving them in a Tx.
I notice that the commercial fast chargers (usually 4 at a time) make the cells very hot which I would think is not a good thing and I have been using lately an old multi cell expensive Robbe charger.  This takes much longer but the cells stay cool.

I have come to the conclusion that putting anything more than 1000mAh cells in a Tx. is a not productive, as these will give a long morning session anyway.  Also you need an 8 cell charger to plug in to charge the Tx.  There are higher o/p chargers around and I like to charge my batteries before each session, but say 1800mAh cells will still take a long while to charge.  My experience with the camera leads me to expect you need to charge batteries immediately before you use the RC.

Any comments would be welcome
regards to all and Happy New Year.
Roy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 10:51:28 am »

I use Uniross Nimhs in my camera (2100), TXs (1300) and Digital (2000) for a RX pack in my tug. I have 3 sets for my 2 TXs (1 in reserve) and find that I can get at least 3 sessions (Sundays and Wednesdays) at the lake before I have to change them. The reserve set always (to date) retain their charge until required. I have two sets for my camera and they seem to last at least a month. On a recent holiday I took over a 120 pics on one set of batteries over 10 days. I have to say that I took both the spare set and the charger with me but in the event did not need the latter. The pack in the tug seem to go on forever (at least 2 months).

I use a pair of Uniross chargers (4 AA cells at a time) which take up to 5 hours to charge the 2000mAh cells. They get a bit warm but not overly so and are cold after 5 mins.

I find Nimhs a great improvement over Nicads particularly for TXs and Cameras.

Cheers

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 12:22:40 pm »

I have found that the Uniross Hybrio cells seem to do what it says on the tin - they come charged and don't self discharge to anything like the same extent as standard NiMh cells.

I do have a fast charger though, also made by Uniross, which is rated at 2,500 mAh for two cells, 1,400mAh for four. The cells themselves are 2,100 mAh and they do get pretty warm when charging. There is nothing in the charger instructions that prohibits any type of battery and the battery pack states that "works in any charger". nevertheless I wonder if it might be better to use a slower charger as the small print round the bottom of the battery quotes a 5 hour rate of 420mAh.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 12:50:14 pm »

Hi All  ;)

I charge as it says on the instructions that comes with Uniross's batteries. What I like about their chargers are they discharge (red light) then charge (green light)the batteries.What I've to be careful of is that I put the switch to the correct type of battery being charge.other than that I've no problems with batteries..touch wood.

Still anybody really know about these Lipos ?

Martin

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 01:16:30 pm »

I think LiPos are a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment. They seem to be extensively used in model aircraft, but I think I saw that the MPBA were banning them from their events. I read somewhere that they have a tendency to explode whilst being charged!

Barrie

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 05:48:14 pm »

Dear All,

Is there a battery charger available that is either 12v or mains input, that will charge/discharge 6v to 12v gell cell AND Nimh 7, 8, 9v 3-5ah?

Regards, Bernard2

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 05:52:36 pm »

Hi i use nmh for my camera it take 4 and they will last for at least 400 shots(fuji 5600) In a weekend I will on av take 800 to 1500 photos if I am really trying,and go through prob 3 sets,I use the same for my TX and they last at least 3 weeks with no probs,I get on av 8hrs if using them on the yaucht as a power source.Maybee it is the way I charge them SLOWLY not on a fast charger ;)And believe it or not they mostly are the ones from liddle bought for £2.50 fro 4!!!!!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 06:33:13 am »

I think LiPos are a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment. They seem to be extensively used in model aircraft, but I think I saw that the MPBA were banning them from their events. I read somewhere that they have a tendency to explode whilst being charged!

Barrie

Never heard of that but have read a lot about them. Just inquiring to see if anybody had hands on experience of this type of battery.I do know they are dear so is the charger.

Mart

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 10:24:58 am »

I use MiNims in my camera, last far better and always got a spare set.

Bob
Officially a GOG.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.