Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Over Flanders Fields with Trackir4  (Read 3219 times)

Greggy1964

Over Flanders Fields with Trackir4
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:55:14 am »

If you are into flight combat sims your gonna love this one. :-))

http://www.overflandersfields.com/

For the princely sum of $30.00 you can get your sticky mits on the best WW1 flight sim out there with stunning graphics and realism.

The sim is based on Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 which you will need to obtain and install on you PC prior to installing  OVER FLANDERS FIELDS: BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJHv8fGJjBY&feature=related

Trackir4 is a head tracking system that when configured for a 3d sim or first person shoot-em-up that is built around the system, it allows you to track the enemy instead of you being in a fixed forward view mode.

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/product-TrackIR-4-PRO.html

What this means is that your head movements are tracked in the game :-)) %% O0 in real time! This is just aw-some! ok2 :-))

In a flight simulator this means you can track your enemy in the sky independent of your aircraft which takes things to a whole new realm of realism :-))

If he dives down and to your right and you follow him with your head, the image in front of you pans across your starboard wing following your target as in real life.

This is so addictive that your missus will end up hiding your keyboard and joystick! ;) {-) O0

There are tons of videos shot by pilots during their sorties on youtube, just look for 'Over Flanders Fields trackir4' to get a feel for this amazing set up ;)

A friend of mine actually felt airsick :(( when he first tried this on my computer but this soon passes as you orient yourself to whats on the screen, it really is a weired feeling!

Greggy1964

Re: Over Flanders Fields with Trackir4
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:49:50 pm »

Here is a good video to get you into the mood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ll6-C53fN8&feature=player_embedded

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:15:50 pm »

Have you tried Rise of Flight? I wonder how it compares. I am in the mood for a WWI sim, hopefully easier to fly than faster aircrafts... These are the only 2 fairly modern options I have come across.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 05:14:34 pm »

I've got Red Baron 3D, which is an oldie but a goodie.

You need a glide wrapper unless you have an old 3dfx card lurking about. I've also got 'Full Canvas Jacket' which pretties up the graphics considerably over the standard package.

Although the controls are basic in these old kites, they can be far from straightforward to fly in combat, especially those with radial engines- no throttle control.

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:53:45 pm »

I remember playing what must have been the original Red Baron when I was at uni. Before that I think I had most of the Microprose sim offerings. Falcon 3.0 was the last time I was really into flight sims. Now I mainly do sim racing.
I am a bit of a graphics junky and am looking for something what will work across 3 monitors, I know OFF and Rise of Flight both do.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:55:35 pm »

Oh right- only got the one monitor, so couldn't comment on that to be honest. Red Baron 3D came out in the late nineties, at that time the only player in town for a consumer 3D graphics card was 3DFX. Over the years the game got seriously patched and reworked by enthusiasts, as the code was released by Sierra for others to add to.

It's outdated by todays standards, but the purists rate it as one of the best for realistic flight dynamics.

Greggy1964

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:56:56 pm »

I too have the old Red Baron game and a 3DFX card, I also have tried Wings of War but its a bit too archady for me.

Over Flanders Fields (OFF) is not a commercial set up aimed at getting money in for a OK flight sim, this was created and is still being developed by WW1 aircraft buffs built around Microsoft's flight sim engine.

A group of amateur designers and illustrators got together to produce what they wanted in a private flight sim and we are benefitting from the results.

It offers a flight sim experience based around the world war one era unequalled in realism and graphics, of the planes themselves and the terrain.

These guys put their heart and souls into this and the cost just about covers their efforts, its not about profit.

Off allows you to just go out and shoot stuff up or you may fight a progressive campaign reenacting the development of the war. :-))

bulldog1966

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 01:48:32 am »

i use trackir5 for my battle ground europe game on pc alsome
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.