Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Battery Charger  (Read 7563 times)

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
  • Change is inevitable, except from a drinks machine
Re: Battery Charger
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 08:50:17 pm »

Bernard,

I have sent you a PM but in case you dont receive :-

except no instructions with charger. Downloaded them from BMI site.

http://www.bmi-models.com

Look under downloads and the model no is 2141.  It will then download as a pdf file.  Only 1st 7 pages are relevant as all other pages are in different languages.

Any probs, let me know.

Terry.

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2007, 04:33:22 pm »

Bernard,

PM on its way re:- setting up the BMI charger.

Good luck, Terry.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 05:57:00 pm »

(Dear Terry, Thankyou again for all your helpful advice. Regards, Bernard2)

Just to let everybody know: the charger arrived on Jan.4 (well packed and sent 'old' Reg.Del.), so a very prompt and efficient service indeed. It is certainly a nice compact and tidy piece of eqpt., and it does come with all the batt. connection leads that one commonly needs - which was a pleasant surprise as I had to make leads for the other two chargers I have (diff. make). The only slight 'irritant' is it doesn't come with an Instruction Booklet, however, as Terry pointed out, this is easy to get from the Mfrs. website. I can understand this as printing is certainly expensive these days (with even medium quan. runs), and to save this cost enables eqpt. cost to be kept as low as poss., however, it would have been handy if the Mfr. had put a note on the box or a slip of paper inside to say how to get the Instructs.. So, all in all, it is a very nice piece of eqpt. and I am very pleased (& grateful), to have been guided to it.

Regards, Bernard2

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 07:37:56 pm »

Bernard,

Hows the charger going ?

Need any more help with nicads, Ni-mh's

Terry.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2007, 10:02:09 am »

Dear Terry,

Thankyou for asking. There is something I would like to ask as as it happens please.

I don't have the Instructs. with me here so can't quote, but they mention a procedure of charging with varying cell numbers in relation to partic batts. (single cell, dual, etc., etc). At present, my predominant batts. are Sakura 8.4v NiMh 3000 MAH batts., these have two long cells and a small one across the bottom of the 'pack'. I also have two GP NiCd, but these are two long cells only in the 'pack'. So, do I need any special procedure in relation to the cell arrangement of my batts., or do I just proceed as you have already advised?

Thanks again.

Regards, Bernard2

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2007, 10:24:02 am »

Polaris
Sounds very much like your GP packs are 6 cells apiece i.e. 7.2 volts. If they aren't labelled then charge a pack up, connect a suitable load (e.g. a motor or 12v car bulb) and check the voltage across the load.  A fully-charged 6 cell pack will show about 8 volts, whereas a 7 cell pack - nominally 8.4v - will be nearer 10v.
Looks like a sound piece of kit, that charger.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2007, 10:27:18 am »

Are you sure about the number of cells.
Normally an 8.4v batt. would consist of 7 cells@ 1.2v.
Infact Nicd batteries are made up of 1.2v cells i.e. 6v =  5 cells
                                                                     7.2v= 6 cells
                                                                     8.4v= 7 cells
                                                                     9.6v= 8 cells
                                                                     12v = 10 cells

Richard ;)
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2007, 01:04:56 pm »

Dear LeatherJacket & Richard,

I think you have answered my question. I must be honest, I didn't realise that these relatively large batts. were constructed in as many cells.

Leatherjacket, yes, it is an excellent charger. My knowledge of the intricacies of it is yet to be gained though! However, with your and Richards' knowledge you would find it easy to operate.

I must admit I didn't realise that these what look like blocks of 'single' cells were in fact so multiple.

Thankyou for your replies.

Regards, Bernard2

Faraday's Cage

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2007, 06:29:10 pm »

Hi Bernard2,

Just to confirm what others are saying. Your sakura packs will be made up of 7 cells and GP packs 6 cells.

Each cell is approx. 1.2 volts hence the voltages youve got on your packs. Charged packs will show a higher voltage until load applied and voltage has stabilised.  Discharged packs should be somewhere around 1.0 volt per cell or slightly less.

With your BMI charger you can monitor charge voltage on the display but this will be considerably higher than a normal standing voltage.

The charging voltage is regulated by the cells themselves and its only when using discharge function when to need to know number of cells as the charger will discharge to approx. 1.0 volt per cell before changing over to charge mode.

Regards, Terry.

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2007, 09:28:21 am »

Dear Terry,

Thankyou for the info.

Regards, Bernard2

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2007, 06:57:50 pm »

Dear All,

I would like to let members know, that the charger that Faraday'sCage advised me of at the beginning of this Heading is certainly very good indeed.

With Terry's very helpful guidance, and working through the instructions, it is an excellent and very versatile piece of eqpt.. People who are well into electronics/electrics will find it relatively straight forward to operate, however, it is a piece of eqpt. for the initiated rather than those who are not familiar with relatively high-tech instruments. I fit the latter category, but, after help, was able quite quickly to master the basics to get me on my way.

I can also recommend Model Sport as the supplier for this eqpt. - v.prompt and well packed.

I hope this info. might be of use.

Regards, Bernard2

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 22 queries.