Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: hms broadsword  (Read 13713 times)

nick j page

Re: hms broadsword
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:55 pm »

you might notice filler on the underside well the wires to search lights and nav lights are under/in a gap with plasty card on top to cover up the wires so not seen i have changed the stancions around the outer of the top of bridge from white metal ones to brass as thought thay could get broken

plus soz for these photos but this is done with my phone camera as my didgital cam is having a blonde minute

this is to show bridge and hull together with the lights on

nick j page

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2010, 09:18:28 pm »

hi all sorry there is not much to show at the minute but done some small stuff but its getting there plus made a stand for her as this is going to a show in july but

nick j page

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 07:57:38 pm »

hi sorry all for no replys or updates on this but i had used this while modelwarshipsuk site was down and its now down again so here is a update of what i have been upto i shall post all photos from last post

nick j page

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:58 pm »

i started to make a control box for lights and any workings on the build this box was brought from maplins and was empty

nick j page

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 08:08:03 pm »

next was to build more stancions and more soldering
  next was to apply some grey coat

nick j page

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »

next thing i did was to replace the compartment and connector from a din plug to a d plug and  change its door as this was going to get in the way when i do the deck and edging around the hole for accsess from bridge through deck to batterys

i decided to remove the search lights and replace with some from jhon haynes which i drilled out to take led bulbs then wire up and a coat of black

next was to do the deck

i then made shure the connectors still worked

then next was to do edging around where battery accsess was going to be then fibre glass the deck down sand a paint grey

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2011, 08:45:13 pm »

hi sorry all for no replys or updates on this but i had used this while modelwarshipsuk site was down and its now down again so here is a update of what i have been upto i shall post all photos from last post
Thank goodness, we thought you had died
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

nick j page

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2011, 08:55:18 pm »

next was to make from hard plastic and the same alloy as motor mounts you buy was a base and mounts for motors

next was to resin in some threaded rod in hull this will be to attach the motor board to

holes drilled and motorbord in place

nick j page

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2011, 09:04:47 pm »

more work next was ladders
and to paint them

nick j page

« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 09:11:55 pm »

next was to build the mast and working radar

nick j page

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 09:20:19 pm »

this is now upto date and have done nothing in the past 6 months as my wife and we are expecting our first child which should be arriving this weekend as she is 14 days overdue so work has stoped on this build for now and since xmas i started on her xmas prezzy a tug which is now my boat due to my old motor yacht died and she claim my tv i brought

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 09:32:36 pm »

Nice build thread.

Did you solder the railings in situ or off the model? Im always concerned about soldering on the model due to the heat from the iron damaging the plasticard deck. I know you can use a couple of croc clips as heat sinks but then the thought of a blob of solder failing off the iron worries me too!

nick j page

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 05:32:00 pm »

hi most of the stancions and railings i soldered in place after i bent brass rod to shape then marking them with a perm pen some i soldered off the boat and followed same method as before i found that if you use soldering fluid like bakers fluid a quick dab on to this with a hot iron and solder ready it pulls it in to join fast and it did not do to much heat damage to the plastic card i did use a croc clip hands free aid while doing most to hold things in place apart from that no other aid or heat sink was used

nick j page

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

hi im now thinking about r/c gear for this build unshure if i should go with the expensive action set up or try other units im wanting to use action as you can control the speed to each prop motor so a ease of moving would make a difference to the build when finished is there a cheaper way or is it got to be done the expensive way

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 05:12:42 pm »

Nick,
I would go with what you want to fit in her, it seems a shame to possibly spoil a fine model by compromising on the electronics.
If funds are an issue put them all on a removable board and move from model to model.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

nick j page

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2011, 03:49:51 pm »

thanks bob thats a good idea but as my other build is a tug and is fully fitted the electronics for this hms broadsword build would stay inside but would be on a removable board this was my origanal plan it has gone through my mind if i should put this build up for grabs and sell it on im still not sure think its mainly due to not putting time in to the build in the last 6 months i have done very little to this and i have lost a bit of interest and lost love in this build so a lot of thinking is to do on my part .
i would hate to be defeated by this i have enjoyed what i have done and i am more then happy with the look of her for my first scratch built boat what the future is for this build i dont know .

wartsilaone

« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2011, 04:06:43 pm »

Hi Nick. Did I meet you at Wicksteed this year?

nick j page

« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2011, 04:11:19 pm »

no i am sorry to say you did not i very really do shows i have only shown this model at one main show at potterheigham last year and allso twice at my local model boat club

pugwash

Re: hms broadswordyou
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2011, 04:14:03 pm »

Nick I would take a bit of time thinking about disposal of Broadsword.  You have put a lot of work into her and looking at the posts
you are quite close to the finishing straight. If you can afford to why not put it away until you are sure you want to get rid of it or until
you think you would like to finish the job.  
I'm sure most of us have times when we lose interest in our hobbies - I personally am on a go slow as far as my builds are concerned during the
summer months as there are to many other things to do.

Geoff

wartsilaone

« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2011, 04:20:49 pm »

Hi Nick. I was going to say, Don't lose faith. You will get back into it. It may be a year or so before you have the time to do much with a baby on the way. By then you'l be itching to get on with it. Congratulations by the way. You mentioned a show at Potterheigham. Let me know if there is one next year, maybe I'll see you there.

Ali.  

mikearace

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2011, 07:11:52 pm »

Keep the faith!  We all have times when we need to take time out, lose interest, dont have time etc etc.  3 years ago I had the sad fortune to suffer a devasting loss in my family, the consequences of which are still affecting our lives  to this day and will continue to affect us.  I stopped building, sold off a few boats and was going to eventually get rid of everything but my wife wisely put me right and after time I realised that no matter how long I stayed away it would still be there when I came back and you can just pick up where you left off.

nick j page

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2011, 02:58:37 pm »

thanks all i forgot to say we had a baby boy on the 10th sept so he is about 8wks old now bless him i have been doing some little work on my tug build in the last 2 days i have been getting back in to my other hobby art and just got myself a badger sotar 20/20 airbrush as i was trained in airbrush art on harleys and the like i had alot of yrs away from airbrush but kept up the drawing and i am getting some great idea of old skills lost and found so if i can do that you are right in what you say in having time away from hobbys.

ALI i dont know if potterham is still going as i had heard from some people who also went that yr i did that this year no one could get hold of the person who organised the avent

nick j page

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2011, 09:39:57 pm »

HI I HAVE HAD A LONG THINK AND I HAVE DECIDED TO PUT THIS BUILD AND ITS FITTINGS AND ANYTHING I HAVE ON THIS UP FOR SALE SO IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED PM ME OR E-MAIL ******@ntlworld.com
There are only a couple of fittings that have been lost but all is there .

nick j page

« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 11:20:44 am »

this is still avalible for sale

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 12:02:19 pm »

If you would like to place an Advert in the 'For sale' section, you could refer back to this page for people who might be interested.  It is also advisable not to put your Email address onto an open forum as this will attract spammers.

All you will need is a pictures and a price please.

best of luck

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.