Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Giant Cod 2.4 sets and CE approval  (Read 3566 times)

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
Giant Cod 2.4 sets and CE approval
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:59:08 am »

I know these sets have a CE sticker on them, I've just bought my first, but when I tried to look up the approval number its in the wrong format!

I very much suspect that these sets are not approved. A friend of mine who sources from China says that the Chinese factories will put any label you want on a piece of equipment.

Check out this site for information on the approvals number. http://www.ce-approved.org/

Not sure where this leaves us, as I understand that the the authorities are planning to carry out checks for illegal equipment.

Barrie

787Eng

Re: Giant Cod 2.4 sets and CE approval
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:56:24 pm »

Oh what a suprise!
Same place as my JR 9303 TX.... >>:-(

Mark

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 01:31:09 pm »

I know these sets have a CE sticker on them, I've just bought my first, but when I tried to look up the approval number its in the wrong format!

I very much suspect that these sets are not approved. A friend of mine who sources from China says that the Chinese factories will put any label you want on a piece of equipment.

Check out this site for information on the approvals number. http://www.ce-approved.org/

Not sure where this leaves us, as I understand that the the authorities are planning to carry out checks for illegal equipment.

Barrie

All of the above is believable, except the last sentence  {-) {-) {-)

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:42:09 pm »

All of the above is believable, except the last sentence  {-) {-) {-)
I can believe that, the except bit anyway. 
In the olden days, if you had radio or TV interference, you would fill a form in at the Post Office, and it would be investigated by an interested and knowledgeable guy, and the problem probably resolved.  For the past several years, your interference requires that you pay a fee to fill in the form, after which someone will spend enough time to justify the cost looking, finding being optional. 
These RC sets are basically short range devices, there is no means of passively seeking them to analyse their signals - someone has to be on site deliberately looking.  There is neither the willpower nor manpower to do that.  A spot check MIGHT at some time happen somewhere in the importing process.  Then again, it probably won't.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Dueller

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:17:37 pm »

Much the same as not buying a TV licence

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 06:28:02 pm »

Not quite, as when you purchase a TV the supplier notifies the licensing people.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 06:39:11 pm »

Certainly until recently inspectors were sent prowling around marinas to check that yacht radio registrations were up to date.

Colin

Dueller

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 06:51:46 pm »

Not quite, as when you purchase a TV the supplier notifies the licensing people.

I meant that if you dont have one there is very little they can do about it

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 07:30:57 pm »

I can believe that, the except bit anyway. 
In the olden days, if you had radio or TV interference, you would fill a form in at the Post Office, and it would be investigated by an interested and knowledgeable guy, and the problem probably resolved.  For the past several years, your interference requires that you pay a fee to fill in the form, after which someone will spend enough time to justify the cost looking, finding being optional. 
These RC sets are basically short range devices, there is no means of passively seeking them to analyse their signals - someone has to be on site deliberately looking.  There is neither the willpower nor manpower to do that.  A spot check MIGHT at some time happen somewhere in the importing process.  Then again, it probably won't.

There is no question of interference being caused or detected - these are short-range standard 2.4Ghz systems using standard components - their radiation would be unable to be distinguished from the many other 2.4Ghz radiators all over the place. Mine cause no issue with my home wireless link....

The issue would be that someone hasn't paid the EC tax to be allowed to put a sticker on. And this would be enforced either by Customs during import, or by a market surveillance exercise from BIS (formerly DTI), who would target the seller. The BIS civil servants would probably do nothing except wait for a competitor to shop someone who was evading the tax, and consequently selling his products cheaper. It's all about our having to pay hidden taxes in order to keep the state going.....

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 07:54:25 pm »

But you can still get interference on 2.4Ghz. I had a TV sender unit from downstairs to the upstairs bedroom TV which knocked out the wireless router link to an upstairs PC in another bedroom. And when you switched the microwave oven on the TV picture broke up completely. I expect they were all CE approved too.

Colin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 09:07:12 pm »

We were thinking of having the TV sender unit but were asked if we had wireless computers, which we do.
We were told TV senders were a definite no no as were wireless cctv with wire less computers.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 09:09:34 pm »

Nothing works as advertised Richard!  {:-{

wombat

• Full Mayhemer
  • The view from the shallow end of the gene pool
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 09:56:20 pm »

Barrie

There is not a set form of CE approvals number as there is not a central issuing agency. What you need is to get hold of the certificate of Conformity signed by an officer of the manufacturing company or importer. This will detail the standards to which the unit is approved. This information, if it is not included in the documentation can be requested on demand, with supporting documentation

Wom
The prat in the hat - www.floatingwombat.me.uk - Have look & say Hi
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.