Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glueing Odd Angles  (Read 3557 times)

Aidi

Glueing Odd Angles
« on: April 15, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »

Howdie Folks,

Just after a bit of advice on how best to get a good result gluing odd angles!   I am trying to glue three bits together as per the photo below. I have sanded down the edges to give a good connection, but my attempts to hold them all together seemed to have failed.  Apart from modelling a small bit to butt the joint together, are there any other methods which i could look at?

Thanks

Rgds
Aidi

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Glueing Odd Angles
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 12:43:43 pm »

Cut a template out of scrap MDF board then you can pin with panel pins while glue sets.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »

Cut a template out of scrap MDF board then you can pin with panel pins while glue sets.

Bob
If you don't want pin/nail holes on either face (side),you can also fix the template to a baseboard, glue the joints and pin with scrap pieces on outside to hold pieces in position against baseboard as well as vertical, if required, whilst glue sets.
If you don't want to waste material with a full size template, mark out the shape on the baseboard and use scrap material on both sides,inside as well as outside, to hold in place.
Method is same for any shape irrespective of number of sides.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:36 pm »

First off Aidi you have to make sure you joints are perfect. Yours would appear to have a slight curve in them.

Then you can use masking tape on the outside then fold round till your joint is tight. Then pin through at the base on an angle into the board you are working on.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Aidi

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 07:45:23 pm »

Thanks for all your replies.  Looking at all the options and a bit of trial and error incorporating the advice, lying them on masking tape then bending them inwards to the desired angle gives a good tight joint, then pinning that postion on a board i think will work just fine.

The joints were only rought in the picture above, i have now sanded them so they create a nice join.

The advice given has helped me, i hope it will help other as well in the future.

Rgds
Aidi

longshanks

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 09:19:19 pm »

Try using PVA glue with a few spots of superglue in the joint and hold together for ten seconds or so. Instant grab while the PVA cures.

hover tim

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:55:09 am »

Drkomen86

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 09:32:57 pm »

I would advise using a glue called "cascamite" it isnt water based like PVA and is more usable than resine yet goes as hard.
it comes in powder form and uses water as a hardener so and damp on the joints will not affect it, sold on ebay rather cheap  :-))

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:38:51 pm »

Is Cyanoacrylate glue and kicker a taboo here?

I have been known to set a bead of pva glue, and leave two or
three spots clear of  pva, and then set a drop of CA glue on those
points. The place the pieces together, and "kick" the CA with an
accelerant... Instant clamp... The pva, can then cure in it's own time, and
I can move on to the next joint.

:-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 22 queries.