Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Expanding foam - suppliers  (Read 7115 times)

pheonix

Expanding foam - suppliers
« on: February 11, 2010, 03:59:09 am »

Progress is slow but steady on my Scorpion race hull but I will soon need to consider adding the foam floatation.

I understand that I need a specific two part foam (not the expandable stuff from B&Q) but can't find a supplier. Can someone tell me where I can purchase this please.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Expanding foam - suppliers
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:19:37 am »

Stick to pool noodles or pipe insulation. Does the job just as well or better whilst being easy to remove should the need arise :-))

andrewh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2010, 12:43:29 pm »

Hi, pheonix

I get mine from CFS, works well and does what it says on the tin. Its available from virtually anywhere that sells fullsize boat repair materails or hobby supplies.

For information - the 2-part version is much more controllable and less violent when it expands - and it bonds to EVERYTHING.  If you don't want that particular feature put a plastic bag intoo the cavity and pour into the plastic bag. 
Viola, conformal, removable buoyancy :}

Usual warnings:  ALL uncured Polyurethane is seriously poisonous, keep off the skin, don't breathe the fumes etc. 
Also don't foam into a completely closed volume

andrew

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 12:51:30 pm »

CFS ? {:-{
..well can you land on this?

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2010, 01:21:10 pm »

I only use pool noodles in my OMRA Boats.
1 It can be taken out when cleaning
2 It can be removed if you need to repair the hull.
3 It will keep the boat afloat if it turns over and the then be removed to dry it outside the boat.
4 If you use expanding foams it can warp the boat hull and as Andy found out cause the top and the hull to spilt. Not what you want at all.
Pool noodles can be found in Sea side shops at this time of year very cheaply. I get mine from a shop in Great Yarmouth when I'm there, it can be found in some toy shops as well.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2010, 01:28:37 pm »

Dont use two part foam in your boat,two things can happen the first is it can over expand and blow apart your boat or as a friends did in his aeromarine cat it can suck in the deck and distort it very badly.Stick to pool noodles or if you can get those you can use pipe insulators from B&Q.
Mart

pheonix

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 04:28:33 pm »

Thanks very much for the info - last thing I want after all this time and effort is to "blow" the hull apart.

Looks like its a trip to the local sports shop then  :-))

Must admit, my original "project" I bought off ebay was full of the stuff and it was an absolute nightmare to remove to so I could re-fit the hull out so this sounds like a very good solution.

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »

Stick to pool noodles or pipe insulation. Does the job just as well or better whilst being easy to remove should the need arise :-))
Aidez Moi,

'Pool Noodles' -  Looked 'em up on my local Take Away menu but couldn't find anything under either Chow Mein or Chop Suey.

Are they the blue sqiggly things used for packing? If negative, what are they 'n where can they be obtained?  :embarrassed:
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

zenman63

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 06:41:56 pm »

Toys R us have them  :-))

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2010, 09:51:29 pm »

Aidez Moi,

'Pool Noodles' -  Looked 'em up on my local Take Away menu but couldn't find anything under either Chow Mein or Chop Suey.

Are they the blue sqiggly things used for packing? If negative, what are they 'n where can they be obtained?  :embarrassed:
They are about 1 meter long 100mm dia foam floatation aids for swimming.  They are reel easy to cut up and fit insde you boat. They don't melt when petol & oil gets on them.
You can see a pic of a noddle (green) inside my boat.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

Popeye

• Full Mayhemer
  • I see no ships!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2010, 10:19:31 pm »

They are about 1 meter long 100mm dia foam floatation aids for swimming.  They are reel easy to cut up and fit insde you boat. They don't melt when petol & oil gets on them.
You can see a pic of a noddle (green) inside my boat.

Thanks Bill D203 - just like pipe insulation though presumably more buoyant :-))
Confucius he say, 'if all else fails.......reach for the  Red Top-Stop'.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:36 pm »

If you wait till warmer weather most pound shops sell em  :-)),in the meantime B&Q sell the best alternative for 60-75 p each lol

BJ

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 08:49:55 pm »

CFS ? {:-{

Reply is a bit late but... http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue__FOAMS___CORE_MATERIALS_129.html.
Quoted me 3 days delivery on order and arrived only 23 hours later.

andyn

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:05:08 pm »

- just like pipe insulation though presumably more buoyant :-))

They're slightly more bouyant than pipe insulation because they don't have the hole in the middle ;)

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:09:01 pm »

these noodles that are shown , POUNDLAND  our local branch has them amongst the summer toys section   :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.