Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: surface drives / rudders  (Read 13612 times)

triumphjon

surface drives / rudders
« on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:40 pm »

haveing given up on the intercepter ( seive ) im makeing my own replacement , can anyboby advise me the best measurements to the shaft & rudder positions from the transome please ? as i normally stick to submerged drive boats ! 

andyn

Re: surface drives / rudders
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 11:58:19 pm »

Can we get some pictures and dimensions of the boat?

triumphjon

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 04:13:04 pm »

mono hulled , moderate vee ,although fairly shallow at the transome , its  600 mm long and a beam of 200 mm  constructed of 3mm keel and bulkheads , skinned with 1.5 mm birch ply , im sorry no photos yet as its still upside down on my biulding board !  sorry for the delay in replying ive had to replace the computer screen !

andyn

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 06:18:10 pm »

Ok then, you want it so that the centre of gravity is about a third of the total length forward from the transom. If you get a surface drive setup (Dave Marles sells them, Prestwich Model Boats), resin / glass it in then chuck all your kit inside the boat where it should roughly sit you can place things to suit from there.

For surface drive, you need the shaft to exit the boat as close to the bottom of the transom as possible. The flexi shaft can be cut with a hacksaw (slowly and carefully) then tidied up with a file so don't worry about the measurement of shaft and tube too much.

triumphjon

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:35:16 pm »

i was hoping to use the old solid shaft from the last hull , fitted at the lowest point in the transome , at as close to horizontal as possible , id like to know what is the best length to mount it from the stern ? im not looking to use it to race with on a competition level .

andyn

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:10:53 pm »

I've tried solid shafts as surface drive, trust me, it doesn't work...

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 05:57:38 pm »

I've tried solid shafts as surface drive, trust me, it doesn't work...
They don't bend very well do they Andy {-) {-) {-)
1/4" fleix drive as sold by PMB will do the job and will last for sometime.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

andyn

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »

triumphjon

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 08:27:40 pm »

i dont see why a short solid shaft exiting as low as possible in the transome shouldnt work , after all its thte rudder that we use to steer with ? unfortunatly as im a carer for my partner my boating is done on a very limeted budget ! .  <:(

andyn

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 08:37:06 pm »

All that happens when you try that is that the motor will rev its nuts off, make a lot of disturbance under the water and you'll get no forward motion whatsoever. The only way it's ever work is if you could get the shaft to exit at 90 degrees to the transom and that isn't going to happen...

triumphjon

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 09:08:00 pm »

i really cant see a problem in useing a solid shaft , as my origanal request was could anybody advise to the distance from the transome to the prop ?  surely you can understand the power loss by useing a flexible cable to transmit rotation to a prop ?  unlike some modellers ive not got deep pockets !

andyn

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 10:31:05 pm »

Trust me, a solid shaft won't work on surface drive. Been there, done that, given up on the model.

There is actually less power loss in a well greased / oiled flexi system than a straight drive.

triumphjon

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 02:55:26 pm »

why are you so against a soild shaft , its worked for decades in full size craft .  rather than answer my origanal request for the distance from the stern the prop needs to be to draw its own water some people like to spend needless money on making a propshaft run around corners !

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 04:22:35 pm »

....... can anybody advise me the best measurements to the shaft & rudder positions from the transom please ? as i normally stick to submerged drive boats ! 
As you normally stick to submerged drive boats why reject the advice of someone that normally drives surface drive boats?
Andyn states he has tried it and given up, I have never tried a solid shaft surface drive so can't give you first hand experience but let's be honest if it was the best solution we would all be using it.
The only person I can recall using solid shaft on a surface drive was from the USA and had one running on his outrigger hydro.
Full size craft may not use flex drives but they do use UJ's and CVJ's to achieve the correct drive angle at the stern, something not possible with a solid shaft.

triumphjon

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 06:50:26 pm »

its the content of "advice "   full size craft do use uj s & cv joints , which is exactly the same as we do on a smaller scale ! if you read the content   of advice its pure spend pots of money

grasshopper

• Full Mayhemer
    • A1 Hobbies Ltd.
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 07:29:24 pm »

compromise is possible chaps!

Solid shaft - at correct angle, inline with hull bottom - whatever distance is recommended from transom connected to motor via:

https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/servlet/AI?ARTN=3345.L

should work shouldn't it?  better if the inboard end of the shaft and tube was ball raced though - and not overly expensive.

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 07:57:39 am »

A couple of options;

1. Piano wire drive. You'll need a couple of solid couplings at each end but piano wire was the drive of choice before flexy wire drive.
2. I've used both Graupner and Robbe UL's on my boats with no real issues.

My Graupner 'Arrow' eventually had an Irvine .25 (4cc) glow motor with solid shafts and plastic UJ's and that worked
 well, without too many issues. The coupling did fail once... when i ran the boat up the bank at full chat!  
  http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_models/06_arrow.htm

The tiny Graupner 'Cobra' had an Areo converted 2cc motor that screamed it's little guts out trearing across the lake. Again a setup
 with olid shafts, plastic UJ's & strudder.

The Robbe electric 'Little Devil' comes also utilises a 'Strudder' with solid shafts and UJ's, the Robbe 'Scarab' comes with two!

My Hydrofoil used a home fabricated piano wire drive using nothing more than an battery drill.....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

triumphjon

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 10:47:56 pm »

finally some sensible modellers who can understand we dont all have lots of disposeable income !  soilid shafts  a couple of uj s  and a strudder unit is the way i wanted to try ,  just need to get a strudder unit ! 

andyn

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 11:08:01 pm »

And you reckon outdrives are cheap do you? They're awful too...

I give up...

john54

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 03:54:04 pm »

I Dont want to "Rock the boat" so to speak {:-{ When i was in to fast leccys (On A Budget {:-{) I used solid shafts a lot  ok2 On a 20in - 25in Deepvee hull about 5in of shaft from transome to prop @ as finer angle as poss . It worked very well on my Dateline & Zoom 2 hulls useing  700bb on 14cells  &  3000kv brushless on lipo 4s :o knocking on for 40m.p.h  ok2 With no worrys @ all . I must of got lucky then ?

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 04:06:00 pm »

Don't bother John, Andy's too young to listen to us dinosaurs!   ok2
 He doesn't believe that we could build boats out of scrap, wood, and things not bought from a website!  
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

john54

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 04:14:40 pm »

Fair Play Mate :-)) No More pearls of wisdom from an old f*rt then? {:-{Whos been there & done it  (And made mistakes :embarrassed:)

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 04:20:27 pm »

Don't bother John, Andy's too young to listen to us dinosaurs!   ok2
 He doesn't believe that we could build boats out of scrap, wood, and things not bought from a website!  

Nicely put Martin.
If it works then do it. Why not? They all said 2.4ghz radio would not work in a offshore boats as there is to much spray ect. WELL it dose and it dose it well.
So go with the flow.
Happy boating :-))
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

john54

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 04:28:56 pm »

Been useing 2.4 radio  in fast leccys for the last 3yrs  ok2 Fair lot of sprey with 3-4 boats running  %) No problems AT ALL :-))
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 22 queries.