Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: F1 - What would you do if your front wheels fell off?!!  (Read 7977 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: F1 - What would you do if your front wheels fell off?!!
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 05:08:29 pm »

At those speeds, you wouldn't even really have time to panic.  {:-{
No control of the car, except perhaps rear braking and foot off the gas. {:-{
I guess I would have enough time to throw in a few expletives :-X, but not enough time for the fear to sink in.
By the time the reality bites, I guess you would be stationary. <:(

I think the same would be true for any car/bike crash.
Having crashed both car and bike through loss of control, you just react instintivley and then it is all over.

My first crash was a car in snow. I had recently read in a book that I should dip the clutch. Trust me, if you start to slide in the snow, do not dip your clutch.

My second was on a motorbike at naughty speeds, and my tail pack (bag that is attached to the rear seat) slipped into the back wheel, locking it up. Having spoken to others this is common, moral of the tale, don't get a tail pack. When the back wheel locks up all you can do is keep turning into the skid, which fish tails, and hope it does not high side you before you stop. I got high sided and the bike landed on me before we went our seperate ways. It did not hurt until I tried to stand up.

I guess the point I am trying to make is that you will tend to react based on your training, or lack of it, and you don't have a lot of time to think or be scared. Until about 10 seconds after it is all over.

And so in answer to the original question. I would take foot of the gas and maybe use the brakes. No point in steering. Although I am sure that if I was approaching a wall, I would turn the steering wheel anyhow.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Aurigarius

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 06:57:26 pm »

I watched F1 but have come to one conclusion, IS IT ME OR IS IT BORING?!?

It's most probably YOU.   O0
If you find it boring you may have seen a different race than me.I found it highly entertaining.
Maybe you are not interested in racing and therefore find it boring. That's OK. Some people may find it boring to watch model boats on the lake. Nothing is for everyone. ;)

jonny shoreboy

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 07:26:29 pm »

If I was doing 180 mph and both my front wheels fell off i would probably:
Crash.
Mess my pants.
Prey (quickly).

Then afterwards I would:
Make sure I was o.k.
Make sure everyone else was o.k.
Change my pants.
Then look for someone to yell at.

Seriously though the safety systems in these modern F1 cars is pretty amazing. This isn't the first time someone has crashed at 180MPH then basically walked away.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 11:45:38 pm »

I think the front wheels were tethered .....to the suspension uprights, so all the bits went down the road together. So far as I remember the late great Ayrton was killed when a bit of upright attached to a wheel penetrated his helmet, after it bounced off the wall he hit.

Aurigarius

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 08:05:43 am »

I think the front wheels were tethered .....to the suspension uprights, so all the bits went down the road together.
Yes, the Toro Rosso Team were testing new uprights that morning. Both of them collapsed in that spectacular manner.
I think they had a word with the constructor afterwards...

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2010, 01:29:52 pm »

Spinning helplessly in a Camaro at Castle Combe (brake fade going into a corner) my thought was "S*d it, how much is this going to cost me?" quickly followed by "How am I going to get home?" as I had driven the car to the circuit.

Comparing notes with other amateur racers afterwards, I found their reactions were exactly the same. It had not occurred to anyone that they might get hurt, it was just the money!

I was lucky, the car went into the infield. I drove home to fit Ferodo pads and cooling ducts. But, as Frank Gardner once remarked, it is hard to drive fast with company in your overalls.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

philk

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2010, 07:50:02 am »

as i drive a rover 400 the chance of going fast enough to loose the wheels and cause anything other than a yawn is remote.

:-))

phil

Aurigarius

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2010, 08:49:51 am »

I drive a bulky french car. So I am always prepared that something may fall off. :embarrassed:

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2010, 10:26:08 am »

I drive a bulky french car. So I am always prepared that something may fall off. :embarrassed:
I can agree with that - on Saturday, on my bulky French car, one of the gear selector joints fell off.  Almost lucky, the day after, I was supposed to be driving to Manchester airport prior to catching a plane.  But that wasn't going to happen anyway.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2010, 01:52:40 pm »

Hmm, wifes AXe Diesel did that on us Malcolm, on M1, in top gear, just as traffic was slowing. Moved across onto hard shoulder as traffic ground to a halt. Kept going for 1 1/2miles to service station but got some REALLY black looks.

Excellent French design, ball joint with ball pointing down and ball socket pointing up. Gravity in France acts upwards. %)

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Nordsee

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »

I have just seen the news, what amazing pictures of the Red Bull loosing both front wheels at 180 mph. According to the news the driver said accidents happen and he is out practicing again.
Alan
Wasn't Red Bull, was Torro Rosso. The B Team for Red Bull !!He was so Cool!

Nordsee

Re: Re: F1 - What would you do if your front wheels fell off?!!
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2010, 04:06:23 pm »

I used to work at a BMW garage and every range had a recall, the big one I remember is the 7 series for the possiblity of an engine fire due to the earth strap being to short and yes there was at least 3 car went up in the UK.

So every marque has it problems only now the media have jumped on the bandwagon and are condeming toyota.
There was a Recall by VW ( Kept very quiet) a few years ago on Passats, Useing a Mobile phone could activate the Airbags or switch off the ABS. I know which I would prefer!

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2010, 11:34:55 pm »

Have Renault recalled the 2000 Megane Scenics which catch fire yet? (Remember to return the door mirror switch to centre after using!)

Greggy1964

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2010, 11:59:37 pm »

Well it looked to me as though the ceramic brakes seized on.

The super grip of soft compound rubber tyres gripping the tarmac ever efficiently stopped the front wheels instantly while the car continued to roll on forward due to the laws of momentum,

and thus the wheels tore themselves from the spindly carbon fibre control arms which shattered under the tremendous loads imposed on them.

The instant the wheels were released from their tethered state to their control arms due to their own internal momentum coupled with the grip of the tarmac, the front wheels then continued the race unabated while the driver and the rest of the car didn't O0 {-)

The car having no longer any directional stability due to the very lack of front wheels careered into the barriers (I'd hate to pick up THAt repair bill!)

This is what you get by building a race car to the outside limits of durability while making it ever lighter and pinning this feather light bullet to the ground through modern aerodynamic pressures!

Q.E.D.

O0 {-) {-) :-)) :o

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2010, 12:03:34 am »

I seem to remember stories of the early disc braked Jags losing wheels in testing on bumpy roads/runways - if the wheel was unloaded when the brake came on it carried on rotating and took the stub axles etc with it.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 08:16:34 am »

There was a Recall by VW ( Kept very quiet) a few years ago on Passats, Useing a Mobile phone could activate the Airbags or switch off the ABS.

Now thats an idea to nurture and develop. Certainly stop the plebs that insist on using their cars as a mobile telephone box.   :-))

Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.