Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro RC Square rigger Take2 HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale  (Read 13626 times)

meatbomber

Re: Micro RC Square rigger Take2 HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 07:01:50 pm »

i`m not overly worried about over canvasing her Jimmy, St.Helena has 6,7dm˛ sail area and Bounty with all the stock sails (sans stun and stays'ls) has only 4,2dm˛ so with the extra sails i`m hoping to get to Helenas sail area (i`m using Helenas keel too). i`ll be much more flexible tho as i`ll be able to strike next to every sail from Bounty except the spanker

meatbomber

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 09:52:26 pm »

Bounty has now all the squares rigged and the driver sheeted,

below is a quick demo of it. i have a bit of a problem of the main braces which is sometimes snagging on the fairlead of the spanker sheet below decks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I43kmijq1cw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPZgQmK2Wxo

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 10:54:01 pm »

She is looking better all the time .... Check on Freebooters thread for reply and infomation
Jimmy

Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2010, 12:47:14 am »

Thanks Jimmy and Wyvern is a real bauty too, i like the white sails !
Thanks for the info on the Servos !

i`ve finished the headsails and she is now ready for maiden :)

warrior193

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2010, 09:32:59 am »

Hi Phillip, i have been following your build with interest, she looks beautiful, great job :-)) - one question, does she carry ballast in a external keel? (I think you mentioned previously something about using St.Helena's keel)
Regards, Brendon (warrior193)

meatbomber

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 09:41:17 am »

Hello Brendon !
Thanks :) in te above pic you see i mounted St.Helenas Keel on Bounty and at the bottom in a small PVC container there is about 100g of lead shot ballast. i have yet to float her to see if the trim is correct.

warrior193

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 09:55:27 am »

Oh, I see now - I thought that was part of the stand {-)
Regards, Brendon.

meatbomber

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 03:03:23 pm »

Maiden ! :)

Bounty sails! I could tack and wear, i only wore twice and it was very easy, tacks were depending on wind, it was very light wind and in a puff she would obligingly swing her head around, if you tried in a lull she would stall while still heading up. Funny enough the position of the keel seems to be quite good, as she holds her course well when close hauled.
It was a bit hard to judge windward performance as i was sitting in a row boat and we had to row quite far from shore to catch the wind, thus removing the easy reference when standing on shore if you make progress to windward. there was a buoy in the water and we moved away from it to windward so i`m thinking she does :D

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 09:03:43 pm »

Outstanding Phillip
I'm looking forward to the video
... Whats next?  {-)a Frigate>,  {:-{A 74 gun Ship of the Line?  {:-{or a Clipper ship
Jimmy :-))
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 09:43:40 pm »

video will be a bit longer yet ;) my video man was busy rowing :D so i only shot these 2 pics myelfe while sailing and conning our rowboat to prevent us from running over bounty :D
i would very much like to do a 74 :D and i also have the Revel Monogram 1:96 scale USS Constitution kit at home that would be a real nice conversion to running  model... so we will see.

First i`ll have to tune Bounty into a well running ship :) i think i found one problem already... the fore yards have about 10° more yard swing compared to main and mizzen because the main brace bowsie is hitting teh fairlead when bracing and thereby limits yard travel.. then i`ll have to make teh main stays'ls and teh stuns'ls so there is some more work to be done

barryfoote

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 09:49:22 pm »

Superbly done. I did not think it was possible.. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

I find the same sort of troubles with mine ...But half the fun is tweeking them up and getting them to sail better
Jimmy ok2
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »

i started adding a bit of sail area, so now i have the fore stays'ls except the topgallant as i would have to cut it to a very strange shape to make it cross over the the topmast stay. the mizzen staysails i  don't know if i can fit. then will only need to make the stuns'ls :)

warrior193

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 04:56:42 pm »

Hey Phillip, she's looking a really beautiful little ship :-)) :-)), did you end up using two or three channels for sail control? Time to crack on with my Huntsman project now that I have finished the work on my Mother in laws place, I was hoping to have her running for Wicksteed - but I may only have my IOM for that :((
Regards, Brendon.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 08:05:39 pm »

Phillip
The main & mizzen topsails on some real square riggers and schooners often has to be struck and re set when when you tack or wear because they foul the stays  {:-{ ... because this can not be done on most models the usual tricks employed are to make the sail smaller so it will fit.... or remove the stay as you can't really see it any way ...
 I don't usually set topmast staysails on my models because I think they are a pain in the back side, but... I do applaud anyone who is willing to go's to all the trouble to get them to set well and work properly   :-))
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 08:10:30 pm »

Sorry That should read main & Mizzen topmast staysails ... Sorry Lads the old grey cells are failing
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 05:45:16 am »

Yesterday had a chance to finally sail her from my local pond. wind was a turbulent 10kts with lulls to near calm and gusts about 10-15kts. Bounty is a surprisingly stiff sailer :) initially sailed with all sails set including the main topmaststays'l but found that she wouldn`t stay and i had to hold lee helm all the time. So brought her back in, took in the outer jib and the main topmaststays'l and sailed out again. Now she headed up nicely any being a bit ardent was easy to tack (i found i need to balance my square riggers so i have to keep a bit of a weather helm to make them sailing nicely on the wind and for easy stays). She definitely sails to windward :) she`s more happy with more wind. in all i`m happy :) i compared her tonight with ST.Helena and was surprised just how much more sail area Helena has :D still Bounty accelerates pretty briskly once the sails start drawing well. she is not quite as weatherly as helena which was to be expected.
I also have a little problem with the main and mizzen brace line which sometimes catches the fairlead of the driver sheet. very annoying at times, but i don`t know right now how to fix that because access in that area is pretty bad. we`ll see what i can come up with :)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »

She looks very workman like Phillip   Well Done

Wyvern with the tack on the main hauled up to de-power the main with out losing control It's a bit like dropping down a gear
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:10 am »

I finally have a Video of Bounty :)
Winds 270/10G15 sailing at our pond in klatovy (axis 300°/120°). Sailed with all sails set, i moved teh keel a bit further forward and she is sailing great! She needs a bit of weather helm when sailing close hauled but she is lighning quick in stays :) I had a bit of troubles with:
A) Outer Jib sheet catching the fore course clew on the stbd side.
B) below decks spanker sheet fairlead catching teh main braces, causeing the main and mizzen yards to get stuck at the squared position sometimes.. that caused a few missed stays. But when you catch teh wind right she´s tearng a long at a good rate :D teh video is original speed! She was  a bit overpowered in gusts with all sails set, and probably i should have struck teh Tgallants'ls but oh well she looks great with her lee rail in the water and teh bow wave almost coming over the bows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2-gEWwSXMg

cheers
a very happy MB

p.s great mugshot Jimmy :) great to see the people behind the forum names :) Oh and i love your fleet!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2010, 09:50:13 pm »

MB
Sadly the Parrot has woodworm.  ;) the tin leg is rusty and the eye patch is a fake   :embarrassed:.. Oh! well can't have everything...
  Super video of "Bounty" sailing ... she really flier's around when you tack
Well Done
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2010, 10:33:26 pm »

HMAV Bounty of Juist. Baro high and steady wind steady east topgallant breeze.
Position: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=53.678682,7.060014&spn=0.003003,0.008256&t=h&z=18
We are currently with 2 skyvans flying skydivers on the east frisian islands off the german north west shores. Stationed on the island Juist i took teh chance today to get some sailing time in! So Bounty tasted salt water for the first time :)

She was sailing again surprisingly fast in a steady 10kts wind. Breasting scale 10ft waves! Could tack and wear ship anytime, missed stays only twice due to a higher than usual wave rolling through :) she surprised a few onlookers with her ability to go to windward in high seas! She definitely likes strong wind! i`m really really happy with this little ship !

I think the nice sailing to be had with her is due to her being set with the keel very far forward and thus with a very strong weather helm. Actually when all masts are braced up sharp i can`t keep her from luffing up even with full rudder, so i need to slightly square main and mizzen to make her track straight still holding a slight weather helm. but this makes tacking super easy!   Wearing also works well with the fore braced sharp and the main and mizzen squared.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2010, 11:06:01 pm »

Nice one Phillip
  She's sailing well... I like your "Sea Boots"
Jimmy :-))
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2010, 11:05:04 am »

had another outing with Bounty yesterday :) wind was nearly as strong as on the sea but a bit less of a swell.. unfortunately i had to sail her quite far offshore due to teh shoal water close in. Also the stbd sheet of the outer jib caught the clew of the fore course and made cause her to lie not as close to the wind as i would have liked her on the port tack.

here`s a short video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuVhdsfClEQ

my girlfriend was filming with our Nikkon SLR and when you film only manual focusing is piossible and with the relatively long lense, small object at long range the video isn`t very sharp at times... hope that is excused ;)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.