Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Micro RC Square rigger Take2 HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale  (Read 13630 times)

meatbomber

Micro RC Square rigger Take2 HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale
« on: April 19, 2010, 08:26:57 am »

Hello Mayhamers!

After the the encouraging results i had with the little 1/85 scale constructo Brigantine St.Helena i`m wondering if it`s possible to build a fully rigged ship at the same size and still sail her to windward :)
I bought a Constructo Bounty kit which is basicall the same hull as St.Helena but with a bit different makeup above the waterline.

Length on deck: 26cm / 10.2in
Beam: 7cm / 2.75in
Displacement: 350g / 12.35oz
sail area 4,21dmē / 65,33sqin
RC will be 1 x HS81 (had no more HS56s sitting around) Fore yards, 1 x HS81 Main & Mizzen yards + spanker and 1 x HS50 servo for rudder.

So far i have carved out the insides of the hull with a big drill in about 15minutes work :) The hull weights now only 75g which is nice as the Helena was 140g after i holllowed her.
The servos were placed according to the mast foots and the fairleads for braces and spanker sheet installed. After painting the hull i can now finalize the Rudder installation and then start closing the deck.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Micro RC Square rigger Take2 HMAV Bounty 1/110 scale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 09:05:44 am »

Very impressive!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »

MB
I find on a ship rigged vessel you need to control the foremast separately from the main and mizzen if you want to tack --- (and not have to wear ship)--- except in ideal conditions {:-{ :embarrassed:--- But my models are a lot bigger than yours and slower to come about--- You've done some amazing things with these,,, May I Call them "Micro Square Riggers ";),,,I think that if you were to draw up some proper plans you would find a ready market for them --- :-)) Keep building and keep sending the photo's and Videos I find them fascinating :-)) :-)) :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:44 pm »

Thanks Jimmy :)

it`s all there ! There is a separate servo for the Foremast braces and on the second servo there is the Main brace, as well as the spanker sheet ( i`m using brooks martins setup there which has been used to control the Jibs  on Somers). the mizzen will be directly connected to the main yards so basically i`ll have main and mizzen working in tandem and fore extra to ensure normal square rigger maneuvering.

As for plans, i really didn`t do anything other than carving out teh hull from solid, glueing some servos in and installing a few fairleads :D the nice thing with these conversions is that they build much faster than the static model as you leave out a lot of time consuming standing and running rigging which just wouldn`t work anyway :)

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:47:09 pm »

Looks like fun...I think I may have a go at one of these pocket size square riggers when I can find 5 min's spare time.
Freebooter :-))
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:43:21 pm »

There you go :) i hope i can male this one work :D
I hinged the rudder today, i`m going pretty slowly lately... but as soon as the rudder horn is on i can close teh aft part of the deck too

meatbomber

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »

progress has been extremely slow lately... toomuch work and other things to do, but i`m not giving up on it ;) Was sailing today again with St.Helena and i can`t wait to seebounty on the water!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:29:29 pm »

MB
 Can you post some pictures of your rudders and keel's attached to the models
Jimmy
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »

Jimmy the Ruddder is hinged with a carbon rod as an axle and at teh topit sits in a thin PVC tube and at the bottom in a plate with a hole.
The Extension is just some see thru plastic glued onto the rudder blade.
The Keel is a pice of ply that has 2 strips of wood glued to the top edge. Thru these strips of wood and teh hardwood keel of the model i just drilled thru and attach the keel with steel nails as pins. So its easily adjustable and removable. Unfortunately the wood on both sides deteriorate from the water, and the keel starts to be loose..  i`ll have to replace it soon with something a bit more durable.

meatbomber

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 12:21:13 am »

did some more on bounty today, a few more swivel stocks and the catheads and the general structure will be finished, then the deck furniture and fittings are up... i`m still not sure if i`m gonna install any standing rigging, its definitely not needed at that scale but i think it would look nice ;) but tehn i`m a bit worried if it wouldn`t deteriorate the sailing performance beyond workiable... soi guess i`llleave them off for now and decide then when i have my masts and yards up.

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 06:17:08 pm »

Looks like it's progressing very well - looking forward to seeing it on the water!
By the way, I was really impressed by your earlier St. Helena model - it looked great in the videos, if I hadn't seen the build photos I honestly wouldn't have believed the model was only 26cm long; it sails very realistically for such a small model. Building a realistically sailing square rigger in any scale is an achievement, but in a "sub-Footy" size and from a solid-hull kit never intended to be sailed - !

I have a rather larger Bounty hull (1/48 I think - an unfinished model picked up at a car boot sale) which I'm thinking of R/Cing (converted to a generic merchant brigantine) eventually when I have a radio set + sail servo spare, though I can't decide whether to have just the gaff-rigged sails set and sail it like a yacht (easy way out), or work out a way to sail it as a square-rigger.
Would it be practical to connect the sail servo (which I assume would have to be fairly powerful, for a two-masted model about 2.5-3ft long) to a single yard, then have all the other yards connected to this one? A fellow member of Black Park MBC has a similar setup on his three-masted barque, but with a whole mast (not just the yards) rotating and turning the other two as it does so.

meatbomber

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 06:42:32 pm »

Thanks edward :) as for sailing square riggers with all masts controlled by one channel, i think this is why so many people had no luck with their square riggers.. you really need to seperate fore and main/mizzen from each other and fro a  Brig like my Somers with a big spanker i can only recomend having the spanker also as an extra channel because it works as an air rudder. Another reason why squareriggers are so hard is that at our model scales there is not enough mass to maintain momentum when the sails go aback during stays (funny enough little St. Helena sails through all her stays with forward movement) This being aggreviated by the fact that if you don`t have enough yard swing the sails will go aback very early in your turn preventing the head even reaching the eye of the wind. Also not enough yard angle means very poor performance to windward... i have so far tried to get good sailing models by compromising with scale items such as shrouds adnd fake runnign rigging to not constrict yard angle.

If you keep these things in mind and make your Bounty a sailing Brigg you will for sure get a nicely sailing square rigger and once on the water the appearance of a sailing ship with all sails set totaly makes up for any lack of detail not visible at 15m distance out on the pond :)

AS for servo size, its mostly depending on how freely your rigging / yards and brace runs are, there is not as much force required to rotate the yards than say on a same size sloop sail, because you have a pull pull setup that hinges in the middle. Just overcoming the drag under tension is sometimes hard. But i think you don`t need anything fancier for your brig than 2 powerfull standard sized servos for each mast and a smaller servo for the headsails and one for the spanker.

cheers
Phillip

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:54 pm »

Edward
 the way I get around it is to mount a 100/1 motor with the spindle comming up through the deck with a drum fixed to it to make a capstain...An endless messenger is passed 3 times around the capstain then out through the bulwark and forward through a block on the bow spirit then back down the other side to the capstain ... the sheets from the courses are attached to the messenger which easily hauls the yards around.... The choice is yours to have one capstain and link all the yards togeather or install 2 capstains and control the fore yards on one and the main and mizzen on the 2nd one.... The big trick is to make sure all the yards on a mast's pivot points are in a vertical line...But as I say thats the way I do it ... Other ships Different long splices... {:-{ %%
Freebooter
  MB
Phillip... I think you have really got the feel for it, The models look super and seem to sail extremely well at the scale you work in... and I agree with you about keeping the rigging to a minimun My systime is if you don't need it don't put it on :-))
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 08:15:31 pm »

Jimmy the one thing i have been fighting with is the problem with loose braces when the yards are braced and tight when squared. how do you deal with that on your spindle capstan setup ? and can you post some details on the whole setup please :) i`ve so far made all my ships with servos and arms and i`m wondering for future projects if whinch wouldn`t be better.

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:45 am »

MB
 I'll Have to Draw up some Diagrams for you  But basically it's a very simple systime that can be refined too tune it up to a high standard and allows flexability
 1) everything revolves around 3 working parts a) a geared 100/1 motor--- b) a 3 position switch or a bob's board--- c) an endless Messenger (a piece of line half string half elastic
 2) mount the motor to the underside of a hatch cover so that the shaft sticks through in to the open when the hatch cover is in place, make a capstain barrel (a small wooden drawer nob can be used)
  3)I run the motor off 6volts... No speed control is needed just a 3 way switch (Forward, Stop, Reverse) I make my own switches like a bob's board fixed on top of a servo mounted on the underside of the hatch cover (Home made 3 way switch --- use 1/32"piece of plywood the size of a credit card cut a hole in the centre and glue it to the top of a servo --- on two sides of the ply glue a thin strip of brass or copper and to this attach a suitable length of wire running to the battery (1 for the + & 1 for the--)
You should know have a board with one side pos +, the centre neutral, the other side negative -- ...attach sweep brushes to each end of the servo arm and run wires from these to the motor this gives you a 3 way switch.
   4) take 3 turns around the capstain with the messenger then at 90deg. cross the deck and go out through a hole in the bulwark then forward through a block on the bowsprit then back along the other side through the bulwark and to the capstain .... Attach the tacks(lower corners) of the course to the messenger and you have sail control of the fore sails...the upper yards will follow the lower yards .... For control of the main and mizzen  add another capstan
Jimmy  .... :-))
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:13:45 pm »

Because I can't for some tec reason post pictures Martin is posting some plans and pictures on BRIGANTINE FREEBOOTER UNDER SAIL (YACHTS & SAIL R&D)for me Soon
 Jimmy
Freebooter :-))
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 05:37:55 pm »

Let me see if i can attach them here :)
Thanks for the great sketches Jimmy  :-))

meatbomber

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 12:49:31 am »

So today i finaly got to do some more on bounty. I finalized the RC installation. The only thing left to do is to install eylets on the servo arms and install the sheets / braces :)
I also got to do the hatches, the waist is a friction fit hatch that will be semi permanently sealed down with scotch tape as this should only need to be opened when there is maintenance to be done. The after part of teh deck will be glued down and i made a hatch thats closed via the Capstan to access the akku. now i need to do all the deck furniture and then its rigging time :)

meatbomber

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2010, 10:21:27 pm »

finished all the deck furnishing today :) now only missing teh guns and then it`s rigging time !

meatbomber

« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2010, 11:54:16 pm »

final one... now with guns and galley funnel..

meatbomber

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2010, 10:40:39 am »

Started with masts and spars :) now the maiden is no longer far off !

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2010, 05:44:14 pm »

She's looking realy good Phillip.... I ihink this is the best one so far. :-)) :-))
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

meatbomber

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2010, 11:09:41 pm »

thanks jimmy i`m pretty happy with it so far :) can`t wait to see how she looks with some canvas up... built up the Mizzen and Foremast today and next will be all the yards, sails and riggiing :)

meatbomber

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 07:05:36 am »

finished all the spars yesterday and started with installing sails. The sails are glued to their spective yards and held to the bottom yards by dental ruber bands as earings (don`t know if i like that yet, there is a lot of tensionon thwe yards / sails)
Next up the courses and studdingsails, as well as the stays and stays`ls

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 04:43:18 pm »

Just curious Phillip ...Stun sails and stay sails ?  {:-{Wow..seems like a lot of sail set ?  %%Mind you do have a very deep keel , O0I shall watch the sailing trials with great interest :-))
Jimmy
Kings Lynn
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.