Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kirklees Model Boat Club Steam Convention  (Read 3027 times)

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Kirklees Model Boat Club Steam Convention
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:03:50 am »

Having returned home and started to get all the various things in place I am happy to confirm that the Kirklees Model Boat Club is now in a position of being able to offer a basic steam test for manufactured boilers below the 3 bar-litre limit.  We have already started this process and are happy to continue it, free of charge to members and non members alike and we will be offering this service, for a limited time during our Steam Convention on the 23rd May. Any boilers presented for such a test must have the original manufacturers pressure test certificate, suitably dated and numbered or, if this is not available, a subsequent numbered pressure test certificate.

We will not at that time be offerring pressure testing so any boilers at the event over the 3 bar-litre size or of a home made construction must be supported by dated and numbered certification and the matching identification number muct be visible on the boiler shell.

We sincerely hope that as many steam enthusiasts as possible attend the event to either steam thier models, show thier models or just enjoy the models presented by others.  Details are as the following post and don't forget, there is no admision charge!

I hope to see you there
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Kirklees Model Boat Club Steam Convention
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:06:25 am »

The Kirklees Model Boat Club Steam Convention will be held on the 23 rd May 2010 at:

Wilton Park, Bradford Road, Batley, West Yorkshire WF17 8JH

From 10.00 am to 4.00 pm

Refreshments will be available c/o the ladies in the Tea Tent and the pond will be open to all comers during this time.

All types of steam models will be welcome either completed or under construction and tables will be available for display purposes for those who do not want to steam thier models.

Models will require certification to be allowed to steam however "Steam Tests" will be available on the day between 10.00am and 12.00am to assist those models below 3 bar-litres to get up and running.

Clubs wishing to attend and reserve table space please contact Mr Stan Reffin

We look forward to seeing you there on the day
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 09:30:07 am »

Having now completed a number of 'Steam Tests' for the lads at the Kirklees club we can feel confident in offerring this service to any one who wishes to attend the show.  It would however make things considerably easier if you could have your original manufacturers certification with you.  This will clearly have the Working Presure of the boiler stated on it making the test and certification simple and straightforward.

If the original certification isn't available a steam test could still be completed however the Working Pressure will have to be determined for the boiler, so it might not be quite as straightforward.

Steam tests will only be available for manufactured boilers which fall below the "Blue Book" 3 bar-litre limit.  All other boilers must have appropriate certification in place to be able to steam.

We look forward to seeing you at the event

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:55:19 am »

A bit more news on this event.  At 13.45 there will be an award for the best steam powered model boat at the convention.  This will be judged by available comittee members and will be awarded to any model be it kit, scratch or a combination which they judge to be simply the best model.

This model will then, assuming it's seaworthy, have the honour of leading out the steam procession on the pond at 14.00 hrs.  We've been promised local press coverage for this so the winner should be in the local paper as well.

hover tim

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:55 am »

looks like i need to make a steam powerd hovercraft by tomorrow morning then i best get cracking

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:17:21 pm »

If steam powered submarines can be built then you never know what's possible!!

If anyone can do it you can Tim

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 03:33:22 pm »

Well, although I could only spend an hour and a bit, there were plenty of toy steam engines and boats plus a good smattering of  "Conventionally" powered craft. Many thanks for the verbal hospitality from Sub Driver, Stan and of course the Ewok  {-). Despite them being told whom I was, I didn't end up in the pond, but Can you send me a pikky of the test gear BB via E-mail, (See P/M) (Flamin electronics)

Yuo couldn't have asked for a better day, will try to keep a slot clear for July the 11th.

Best Regards  Ian
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

hover tim

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 04:38:08 pm »

having just got back from the day all seemed to go well thanks to Stan ans Richard for organising it i had great day operating my hovercraft alas not steam powerd though i would upload the pics from the day but they are too big so they are at http://www.flickr.com/photos/19759955@N07/

Sub driver

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 05:00:11 pm »

Just got in myself,
Had a Gt day, 27 Degrees and glorious, nice meeting and speaking to Circlip and The Long Build, plus all the useual KMBC crew.
If you missed it then you missed a  "Grand day out". O0

Regards Sub.

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 07:23:20 pm »

An absolutely superb day with fantastic weather and more steamers at the park than we've had for many years.  Tested a couple more plants as well to get some more certificated so great to be able to see a few steamers in action in the knowledge that they have all been tested and certified.  Hopefully now that we've got the ball rolling we will be looking forward to seeing more and more steam models back in action.

All credit to Kirklees for taking testing certification seriously and rather than backing away from it, they've taken a positive attitude and got organised.  It was surprising the number of conversations I've had today with members from other clubs who were saying how dissapointed they were that thier own clubs were lacking in support for steam modellers.  Hopefully next year we will have even more visitors and we may even be able to visit other clubs when they get steam back on thier respective waters.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 09:25:38 pm »

For a first event it went very well. Many thanks to Richard for all is efforts and carrying out tests where needed. The weather was very hot with very little wind but this did not stop the members having a good day,

Stan

The long Build

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 10:33:09 pm »

Well was the 112 mile round trip worth it ?  YES it was , What a great pond to hold an event like this or any other event for that matter, The day was well organised and after a brief safety inspection my launch was on the water . I managed a number of good steamings as did all the other steam boats on the lake.

My thanks to Kirklees club for the warm reception and a great day out, and special thanks to Stan , Richard and all the other members I met.

Here are a few pics I took, unfortunately not many of the steam boats.

The long Build

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »

mike_victoriabc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2010, 02:51:21 pm »

Looks like a great location - weather perfect for boating. At our Maple Bay Regatta - sunshine, breezes, clouds and rain in no particular order!
Great display of different engines - hope more photos show.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 21 queries.