Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which tug  (Read 5075 times)

billa65t

Which tug
« on: April 20, 2010, 10:17:56 pm »

Hi guys looking for some advice as new to tugging! am looking to either buy or build a tug for towing and was wondering what the general consensus is about what is the best for towing I E size of tug,single or twin screw,rudders or Kort's, direct drive or gearboxes,bow thruster? if twin screw independent throttles or mixer.
Look forward to hearing your views
Bill {:-{

poll

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Which tug
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:55:56 pm »

Hi Bill, Welcome to the forum.  Each modeler will have there own idea of what is the best for towing, A good average tug is the portgarth type of tug, I run a Portgarth it's  38in x13in  Twin screw, Direct drive, steerable kortz nozzles, independent throttles, bow thruster. This is not every ones choice, also it as a working main & Gog winch which do's help, this type of hull gives you room to put your extras in, Battery's  three 12.7amp & 6.5amp for the rx. Hope this is some help to make your choice. Regards

John                                POLL

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 06:33:18 pm »

Hi bill i too have the same as poll but in an afon alaw which is 2" shorter than the portgarth and a little deeper as john says it is up to you but cost has a big decision in what we all build these days our tugs can get mighty expensive when you start fitting radars switchers smoke units and sound units. well worth it tho in my opinion. can you get to a towing event close to you if you can call in on the chaps they will normally be very welcoming.

Steve

billa65t

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:14 pm »

Hi guy's thanks for the info, am going to the Doncaster show in June so will have a look around to see whats  about before i decide what to get.As Steve points out things are getting expensive these days so I might buy a tug that is already built and just modify it for my own needs.
Regards
Bill

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 09:49:38 pm »

See you there Bill, I'll get the tea's in!

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/shows2009/Doncaster2009/index.htm

Martin
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:34:36 pm »

Hi Bill,  Balne Moor M.B.C. will be there at Doncaster. Will take the Portgarth for you to look at.

John

787Eng

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 07:37:52 am »

Have a chat with Mobile Marine Models
http://www.mobilemarinemodels.com

They will see you right and answer your questions and some.... :-))

Mark

andywright

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 09:18:50 pm »

Have a look at the Nangee, I've got a 900 motor in mine, with steerable single  kort, handles great, you can fit two motors if you want, I've also fitted fire monitors, working lights, radar, sound system in mine, it all fits, but if you want an easier fit go for the Portgarth or Alan Alaw.

Andy
Navigational Aids vessel Master. Old Conway 70-72

ministeve

• Full Mayhemer
  • washing the decks!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 12:05:31 am »

the smit polen/japan from scale hobbies is a good buy too

steve

tugs46

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:48:43 pm »

How about this one:

http://www.marksmodelbits.com/

Mike

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 09:13:37 pm »

That's a nice model tug Mike, but a bit too small for serious tug-towing work. I'll be picking one up at Weymouth this summer, already ordered,  but not in the same league as the models Poll and Steve are talking about. Not too much room for extras either.

Danny

poll

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:56:55 pm »

That's a nice model tug Mike, but a bit too small for serious tug-towing work. I'll be picking one up at Weymouth this summer, already ordered,  but not in the same league as the models Poll and Steve are talking about. Not too much room for extras either.

Danny

Hi Danny,  what tug are you going for?

John.

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »

get a polly tug , un sinkable (so far) and cheap to build.
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24068.0
mind the drives are bank breakers  O0 .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 09:02:19 am »

Danny

Just to set the record straight, my new tug is only 4 inches shorter than the Nangee, a popular tow boat (for now!!) but is an inch wider. With the standard motor pack set up with she has a bollard pull of 4lbs 12oz which is fine for tug towing, (she could take more power and most probably will at some stage!!!)
Size and and brute force power isn't the "be all and end all" for a tug skipper there is also delicate manouvering, fine control and finesse involved as well!!!!
I can easily fit all the running gear in with a 12v 7ah battery and there is still room for a working winch motor and gearbox as well, how many extras do you want to fit!!!!!

The model is very manouverable in both forward and reverse, and could quite easily navigate the tightest steering course in reverse with no problem!!!!!! she also tows well and with a 10" beam she is very stable as well.

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 12:03:47 pm »

I've had a play with Mark's new tug over the Wicksteed weekend, great fun!
Even on the standard motor pack it seemed to be quite authoritative and highly manoeuvrable.

What I found interesting is that it can be controlled in numerous ways:
a, 2 channel - Both korts linked together + One speed controller for both motors.
b, 2 channel & switches - Both korts linked together + Two speed controllers ( switches turn off inside motor on a hard turn)
c, 2 channel & switches - Both korts linked together + Two speed controllers ( switches turn reverses inside motor on a hard turn)
d, 3 channel - Both korts linked together + Two speed controller for independent motor control.
e, 4 Channel - Independent Kort control + Independent motor control.
f, 5 or more channels for full independent control plus other functions eg. winches, sounds, lights etc.

NB. Transmitter mixer or  add-on mixer can be subsequently added to c, d, e, or f,

Option 'e' seems to be Mark's personal preference.

£175 Full kit including motors and running gear - can't be bad! - http://www.marksmodelbits.com/
 Build log here: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23939.msg234896#msg234896
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tolnedra

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:50 pm »

Mark, I was not being disparaging about your tug, merely pointing out that it's a good bit smaller than the ones poll and Steve were mentioning. I reckon it's a great little boat, otherwise I wouldn't have ordered one, now would I? I see you've managed to cut the windows out in the bridge now; did Angie and Hannah give you some time off then? Roll on Weymouth!! :-))

Danny

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »

OH NOOOO!!!!! >>:-( >>:-(
You could have warned us Martin  <*< <*<
That shirt is
 LOUD

I think a parental advisary sticker should be puy over that one  {-) {-) {-) %% .
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Marks Model Bits

• No Mustang Mark
  • Full Mayhemer
  • http://marksmodelbits.com/
    • Marks Model Bits
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 06:57:19 pm »

That's nothing Daz, the one I was wearing Saturday was even louder!!!!!!!

Mark.
I HAVE NOT FAILED, I HAVE FOUND 1000 WAYS THAT DON'T WORK.!!!!

http://marksmodelbits.com/

billa65t

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 08:54:22 pm »

I thought Mark was just wearing that shirt to be colour coded with his boat ! ( which by the way I think is very nice and may very well buy once i sea its towing capabilities )
Bill :-)) :-))

craftysod

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 10:02:28 pm »

Seen it working,great boat,but you wont get the shirt included.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.