Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Apache  (Read 11889 times)

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
New Apache
« on: April 21, 2010, 01:19:10 pm »

Hi im now producing 57" Apache hulls from my own moulds .The layup is very nice consisting polyester gelcoat and resin with one layer tissue mat one layer 350 csm and one layer 450 triaxial cloth which makes a very strong hull,very stiff and the hull doesn't flex like many of the hulls we see out there.Im also offering an option with carbon reinforcement in the rear 3rd of the hull bottom.The deck is joined from inside using glass cloth and resin then the lip is sealed using resin mixed with chopped fibres which makes a strong seal that wont crack.The hulls are left in the moulds for a full two days and i attach rails and transom support while its in there also.Total weight of finished hull as is with hatch is exactly 11.8lb which is about right for this size hull.All strakes are solid glass as are all sharp corners ,i do this prior to laying the matt and cloth by making a bog with chopped strands.This makes them very strong and been solid you can sharpen more if required but i have to say the strakes and all edges are sharp.Ive also strengthened the bow area  :-)).
  Ill post more pics with the hatch on when i remove it from the mould.Ill be selling thse in the traders section very soon but anyone interested let me know and it usually takes me about a week to get a hull made up.Prices will be very reasonable as allways and these really are top quallity.The one in the pics is going to be raced this season in the new N.O.M.R.A by its new owner .
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Apache
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:08:37 pm »

Cpl more pics

TugCowboy

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:30:46 pm »

Lovely hull, could be interested indeed. Would it be possible for you to PM me some details?

Alex

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:45:42 pm »

Of course mate

omra85

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:26:52 pm »

Well Martin, you've come a LONG way since your wooden boat with the air cooled strimmer motor.
That's a very nice looking hull, well made and a well proven design. If I hadn't bought my new Phantom last year, I would be sorely tempted.
Does this mean that you might be coming racing? 
Look forward to seeing it on the circuit, although I don't think I'll be racing against it as I don't do petrol (it would make a good C class though) %%

Good luck
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 01:25:38 pm »

Hi Danny cheers mate yes its a well made hull,no racing for me im affraid just too much traveling for me for a start.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 04:01:13 pm »

Just to let you all know things are at a standstill for a while as ive not been well and im taking timeout for a few days till i feel up to finnishing the hatch.Feel free to contact me with any queries if you have any many thanks.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 09:25:46 am »

Well despite feeling under the weather the last cpl of days i couldnt help myself,ive been playing with the deck plug and decided to change some things to make my hull stand out a little from the rest of the apaches out there.Ive removed two of the ribs in the deck and this makes a big difference to the looks so cant wait to get one built. I feel with complete confidence when it comes to build quallity you wont find better if indeed anything as good,its a strong well built hull ,its taken me the best part of 8 months to bring this to the almost finnished product O0.
Mart

TugCowboy

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 02:06:39 pm »

Mart,

Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with very much. Its less than a month till my birthday too ;) make sure you post lots of lovely pictures I can show to the Mrs!

Alex

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 06:23:58 pm »

No worries Alex the moulds ready to start making the new top tomorrow or most likeley monday.will have pics by tuesday all been well.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:24:39 am »

Well i managed to get a prototype deck built,still undecided on it as to wether i like it as much as the old style ,ill take a cpl of pics later and let you see what ive done.

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:10:21 pm »

Heres the pics of the new deck sat on top of the old one just to see how it looks.All coments welcome .
Mart

mook

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 01:05:30 pm »

Mart
I prefer the secod version over the first, looks good
Mook

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 01:55:04 pm »

Cheers Mate,its growing on me  :D.Ill probs make a mould off it after our hols.I can then offer both options i supose.Havent finnished the hatch yet,had a few problems with the first version so having a rethink.
Mart

Bill D203

• Full Mayhemer
  • not long now!!
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 06:51:45 pm »

Hi Martin
For what it worth i like your 1st version. The new one is a bit plan if you know what i mean, but Ok if you want to put stickers on it. Both ways look like a good job mate.
Roll On Mayday. Im off for a pint.   How Much!!!   WHEN do you need it!     No dear!    Yes dear??   Wot Now???  soon to be EX Chairman SMBC

TugCowboy

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 07:10:41 pm »

It'd be the first version for me, just looks that little bit sportier.

Alex

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 07:16:24 pm »

I dont think the pics do it justice to be honest,ill get some more tomorrow but thanks for the feedback much appreciated.Ill take a pic of both hulls side by side with both decks to show a better comparison.
Mart

omra85

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2010, 11:02:49 am »

Hi Mart
Version 2 will make it easier for stick-on graphics and also make a paint job with curves more even (eg Tug Cowboy's avatar).  It gives a nice big area to work on.
I think it is unlikely that the front will have nothing on it, so the fact that it looks plain with no paint won't matter.
How about incorporating an air inlet somewhere in front of the engine position? The problem with most decks is that the inlets are towards the back, so you have to drill holes or fit scoops at the front to supply cold air to the carb. Otherwise it is eventually drawn from the back after being heated by the exhaust (not good for speed!).
If you can design something that seperates air and water, you'd be onto a winner.  Very useful when you come up behind someone in a race who's throwing out a huge roostertail - all over your boat!!
My attempt (picture 39) - http://www.nomra.co.uk/photos.html - there is a "diverter" under the top and small outlets for water along the sides (just below the USA flag)
Cheers
Danny

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2010, 12:41:56 pm »

Yea i know what your saying Danny makes sense,as you say its a big space so ideal for graphics and decals numbers you name it.I was also going to mould in some air inlets at one point along the lines of the naca duct type but some seem not to like them and some do.I will be making naca style ducts and some scoops of various designs so people could add those should they wish.id also like to make the scoop ones so people can just stick them on with epoxy and not worry about glassing so ill make them with a  nice lip .You can bet a  penny to a pound if i add some to the moulding some will hate them some will like them lol.Same with these different decks i suppose so makes sense to offer two versions,more work and an extra mould to do but worth it in the end.I just need to sort out the hatch design for this one as id like to offer something with a little more detail than the norm.Feel free to stick some pics up of your idea for the air inlets im open to ideas and nothings set in stone.Mark TMBC should be picking up this hull sometime next week so you should be able to have a look over one in person pretty soon.I just saw a few pics of the new rcmk apache 68" version and they pinched my hatch idea lol,have to say its very stylish though.
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2010, 06:56:33 pm »

Heres the two sat side by side to show the difference oh also neither has been polished at all this is how they came out of the mould so they will shine even more once i get some 3m compound on them .

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 07:32:56 pm »

Heres a few pics of the one im building for me ,doesnt look plain now does it  ok2.
Mart

andyn

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 09:19:46 pm »

Looks fantastic :-)) :-)) :-))

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 09:25:44 pm »

Thanks Andy doesnt look too shabby does it,also got a new hatch design im working on .
Mart

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 12:00:44 am »

Im thinking of calling these hulls the Navaho,keeps the indian theme going but its different  ok2

tmbc

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »

well guys and girlies
pick the apache up and all i can say is these are quailty mouldings ! the boat isnt the lightest but certainly not the heaviest ! cracking job martin ! 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 22 queries.