Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some Victoria yacht help please  (Read 2380 times)

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
Some Victoria yacht help please
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:29:26 pm »

I'm in the process of building the Thunder Tiger Victoria Yacht.  I'm doing the electrics at the moment but I seem to have hit a bit of a snag - I'm using a Hitec HS422 servo for the rudder (see attached picture) and I was going to send for an HS765HB Sail Servo, but I see that it measures 5cm in length but I only have space for 4cm on the mounting board unless I cut the end away.  Can someone please recommend a Hitec Servo that will be OK for the sail arm and will fit into the 4cm gap.  I'm sure someone on here will be using Hitec stuff - or at least I hope so.   Many thanks in advance

Periscope
The best cure for sea-sickness is to sit under a tree.

exvtop

Re: Some Victoria yacht help please
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 11:34:02 pm »

My original Victoria build used a HiTec HS765 which can certainly be made to fit. However it is rather large and heavy and overkill for the job.
Several of our club members have used Futaba S3010 which is more or less a standard size and fits easily.
A recent Futaba introduction has been the S3014 which seems to have the same specification as the S3010 but is claimed to be waterproof.
Very occasionally in a bit of a blow there have been indications these servos aren't quite up to the job but by and large they have been OK.
Personally, I'm now using a Futaba S3802 which admittedly is quite expensive but has been more than adequate.
Suggest you have a look at http://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php for specifications and prices.

Mike

exvtop

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 11:38:19 pm »

Just to add.
Lots of useful Victoria build information athttp://www.okanaganmodelsailboat.org/Step-by-Step.html

Mike

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 07:52:28 am »

Thanks Mike - very useful information - I'll browse throught it and see what I can come up with.

Cheers,

Ian

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 10:31:31 am »

I just used a HD2400A from Howes of Oxford. Its a standard size, but high (9Kg if I remember right) torque servo. And cheap. No problems apart from having to make my own arm.
Is there a vital reason to stick with Hitec?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:51:23 pm »

SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 03:25:39 pm »

Howe's is selling a 17kg metal gear servo for £15.oo but you will have to make an extension on the servo arm yourself I'm using two of them in different boats and am happy with them . If you need something more powerful  ...I use  Hi Tec Quarter power servos and make my own sail arm by bolting a length of 1/16" ply to the servo arm ... I seldom have any problems with my boats :-))
Freebooter
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

periscope

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 04:03:20 pm »

Thanks everyone for the info - appreciate your time.

Cheers,

Ian

Tombsy

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 05:12:40 pm »

On my 2 Vic's I mounted the rudder servo on its own mount screwed to the underside of the deck as shown in the links in the posts above.
Then you can make the radio box a lot smaller and lighter or ditch it altogether and just use a couple cross braces to mount your servo. The receiver can be Velcroed to the underside near the mast.
I'm also using Futaba 3802's with the homemade sail arms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.