Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plans availability for Pickett Boat and for Chimaera  (Read 9115 times)

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
Plans availability for Pickett Boat and for Chimaera
« on: April 26, 2010, 12:11:45 pm »

Greetings all, for some time I have wanted to add two models to my steam powered fleet. One is the Steam Pickett Boat and the other is a Pilot Boat. I would happily buy glass fibre hulls and build from there but the freight cost is a killer. The 50" Pickett boat from Models by Design was going to cost me about 100pounds with boiler cover etc which I thought was reasonable but then the best freight deal they could come up with was another 185pounds! I am also interested in the pilot boat Chimaera as it used to be built by Sovereign Models long ago. I was trying to look at John Hemmens version of it but his website has been out of action for months and in any case it is probable that his complete kit would be outside my budget. I have therfore decided that I will have to scratch build from plans. I am hoping somebody can steer me towards a source of plans that include hull lines for either or both of these. Thanks, Ian.

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
Re: Plans availability for Pickett Boat and for Chimaera
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 01:36:01 pm »

The old Model Boat plan (MM629) for a steam picket boat - sorry don't know which one - is available from MyHobbyStore: http://www.myhobbystore.co.uk/product/16888/steam-pinnace-mm699

Rick

The Antipodean

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:42:36 pm »

Have a look here, they may have what you are looking for, or something close to it.

http://www.taubmansonline.com/

ian kennedy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 06:44:48 pm »

Hi Kiwi,

The original Chimaera plans drawn by P.N.Thomas were published in model shipwright magazine, this was a good article covering quite a few issues concerning scratch building the model.
I'm sorry i can't give you the issue number or even the exact date it was published, The original kit was produced by Ocean/Marvon models in the U.K.
Regarding John Hemmens web site it will be up and running again very soon fully updated with pictures of the new Chimaera in G.R.P and P.OF versions. I know this as I'm putting the finishing touches to the Plank on frame prototype model !

Hope this helps you a bit

Regards

Ian

ian kennedy

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:46:29 am »

The Chimaera article appeared in model ship wright number 3.

It may turn up on ebay but it was an early edition ( EARLY 70'S ) so could be quite rare and hard to find.
The drawings used to be available from Greenwich maritime models, but i think they no longer trade so once again this is a toughy...sorry

Regards

IAN

Tankerman

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:03:39 am »

Hi Ian,

If you search for "Model Shipwright 3" on this site you will find a couple of copies available at a reasonable price:  www.abebooks.co.uk

Chris

ian kennedy

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the link to abebooks, good info :-))

Cheers

Ian

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 11:16:45 am »

Thanks very much for all the tips. I have managed to find locally a copy of plans for a 45ft Admiral's Steam Barge which looks very similar to what I call a Picket Boat although I have also seen them referred to as a Steam Pinnace. The plans have "Modellers Draught" in the top corner and "copywright 1993 Conway Maritime Press Ltd" along the bottom. I believe they may have come with a copy of Model Shipwright but the person who found them for me cannot find the magazine. They do have lines and sections on the back so would be useable to build a model from. As for the Chimaera plans can anybody be more specific about the issue of Model Shipwright which they came with? A search of the Abebooks site for "Model Shipwright Number 3" brought up Vol 1, Number 3, Vol 2 Number 3 and also just Issue 1, 2 and 3. None of the bookshop sellers list the contents which makes it kind of difficult so any more clues would be appreciated. Thanks, Ian.

Tankerman

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 01:58:24 pm »

I have checked my copies of "Model Shipwright" and can confirm that you will need Volume 1  -Number 3 and Volume 1 - Number 4 for the full article on the "Chimaera". Hope this of help.

Chris

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 10:30:17 am »

Great, thanks for that, now the hunt can begin. The good news on the other front is that I had a call tonight from the gentleman who found me the Admirals steam barge plans to say he has now located the issue of Model Shipwright which the plans came from and it has the story of the build so he will post it to me tomorrow. Thanks for all the help. Cheers, Ian.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 11:46:52 am »

Probably not of use Ian but Model Boats April 82 had an artical on the 50Ft Picket but was based again on a glass hull using a D10 as power plant. If you want a scan, send PM.

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 11:41:08 am »

Thanks for that. A member of our local model group who has been reading this has offered to bring some literature he has collected, including something from Model Boats, to the lake on Sunday. If he does not have what you are offering I will P M next week. funny how you can post something to a site on the other side of the world and get a contact just down the road! I have also found listings on AbeBooks for the Model Shipwright mags mentioned and one of them is in N Z. Cheers, Ian V.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 10:29:16 am »

I now have a copy of the April 1982 article thanks very much. Ian V.

spongie

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 11:28:08 am »

I may be interested in what you have on the 45ft steam barge, I have a 45ft Motor picket boat (round bilge) and I wonder if they are the same hull.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 10:52:09 am »

As I find out more I am thinking that there are three different styles of boats from the era of the 1890's to 1920's. There is a Steam Picket Boat (mostly 50 foot versions) with guns, a Steam Pinnace and an Admirals barge which has a counter stern as against the straight transom of the others. Looking at your full size hull I would guess that it is based on a later style of Picket boat as it is quite a bit different (especially the bow) to the ones I am researching. I have come across models of ones like yours while searching for the plans I need so there must be info out there but I cannot help with your type sorry. Ian.

John R Haynes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 03:26:18 pm »

Norman Ough drew out plans at 1/48 for the 50ft steam pinnace carried on larger warships up until the middle of WW2-----------I have these plans in my collection if they are of interest. I also sell at 1/96 a kit of this boat . See my shop on www.johnrhaynes.com

cyclops

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2015, 09:00:05 pm »

Hi Kiwimodeller,
I have recently aquired a rather delapidated Chimaera. Approx.50" long built with diagonal plank on frame with rivet detail added with embossed paper. The articles in Model Shipwright are not very helpful but maybe of some help with rigging. I have managed to properly repair the smashed stern but several parts will need repair or replcement but the original model was well made with a lot of detail. I will retain the electric power plant as I don't think the construction will stand up to steam. I would appreciate any further info you may have acquired since your original post.

kiwimodeller

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:22 am »

Since these posts back in 2010 I have managed to build a Picket Boat and get it up and running with a twin cylinder steam plant but I have not yet done any more about Chimaera. Maybe when I retire at the end of the year. I dont think I have any more info but I will check the shed in the next few days and do a post if I find anything. Have you checked the John Hemmens website? http://www.steamengines.co.uk/
I have been told that the Chimaera kit he sells is the one originally developed by Tom Gorman of Sovereign Models. It may be that you have found one built from a Sovereign kit. Good luck and dont forget to do a post about your rebuild. Cheers, Ian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.