Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yess'by ..my trawler build  (Read 25358 times)

More Coffee

Yess'by ..my trawler build
« on: May 01, 2010, 08:15:38 pm »

Following plans i aquired a few years ago ..I've commisioned a fishing vessel that representative of local inshore/off-shore fishing vessels usally found here on the East Coast of Canada..
The formers had to be re-drawn because the print is twisted ..
This is my second attempt at plank on frame boat building ..
30" overall,8in beam,4 in draft ..
planks are 1.5 mm Basswood laid on 1/8 commercially avaliable oak and birch veneered plywood..nailed down with stick pin's and water proof(resistant) wood glue
She will sport a 2in 3-blade prop ..driven direct with a 550 type can motor in direct drive yet to be installed

Progress so far

Any pictures ,comments or critisism appreciated :-))

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Yess'by ..my trawler build
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 09:10:26 pm »

Lookin good !

John

More Coffee

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:43:08 am »

Thank You  ok2

A little more progress..

I solved my rear access issue ..

I remember seeing these boat's come in with a deck load ..on the aft deck knee walls could be staked into pockets in the deck..additional boards could be put in to make bins to separate by-catch and more valuable species. These bin's also kept the catch from shifting around the deck, while its being sorted, cut and bled before storage in the hold

So ..essentially I'll build up a permanent bin in the rear deck ..and the floor of this bin will be remove able..it gives me access and also aid in keeping water out of the hull..because it well only be a small thickness and just a perimeter fence the deck wont look like it has a hatch cover on the aft deck..

forward of that is a smaller hatch which in essence is where the fish are put down in the hold..

Then ..Square peg,round hole ..I have some Basswood square stock That has to get put in round holes to form the gunnel's around my boat..
To do this and get semi-acceptable results ,,I took a piece of brass tube that was the O.D. as the wood is square..Chucked the brass tube in my drill press ..then took the bass wood cut to an appropriate length ..stood it up ..Eye-balled center and pressed the brass tube down to a desired depth ..pull out the peg ..a little snip with a hobby knife ..i got a rounded end on my square peg..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:23:14 am »

I don't know if this is of any help, but something I did to provide a water tight acces was to make a "shoe box cover" for the open point. You could put anything in or on the cover (dead fish?) to discize it. You then end up with an easily removable water tight cover.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 04:17:10 am »

Now that works ..

The rear deck on mine is a problem .mainly because of access ..once those knee walls go up ..i can make a cover to put down inside with a couple bin's ..some fish etc..only the bottom well be at deck level,the knee walls will be about 3/4in high..The gunnel's from are 1 1/2 inch high ..there's an additional 1 1/2 inch respectively of free-board in that area..so 3in roughly ..that's a good swell to have this little craft in ,I think..
my main concern was water coming through the scuppers and washing down under a deck plate into the hull....
that's the plan ...However..should that not work as i hope ..what you have there will be a great solution to this problem ..

.fortunately though the actual hatch is designed in principal the same as what you have there ..

Thank you ..and what ship is that ..paint looks great...smooth .. :-))

More Coffee

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 10:23:35 pm »

That bin area ..on the aft deck ,that I intend to build ..according to my Dad ..its refered to as a " checker board" you can insert planks to build up bins and such ..looks like a Checker board when its done

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:23:26 pm »

The vessel the aft crate is on is my Smit Nederland tug:
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10387.50

Glad you found the idea useful.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 04:32:14 am »

Yes thanks again :-))

A little progress today..

stern gunnel's were cut out of pine block,I cheated i guess,a little thicker but this area is built up to take the abuse ,,the pegs were put in and the skin put on ..have to cut the scuppers yet..

I included a shot of the plans so theres a general idea what I'm supposed to end up with..Its the only page I have..the text and stuff are AWOL..didn't come with them ..so in some respects I'm flying by the seat of my pants
...Also, if anyone is interested a start point to go find them .I haven't seen these since I purchased them ..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 10:16:55 am »

What did you have in mind to finish the hull? I mention this before you get to far into the build.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »

Well ..Its obvious that even after i redid the formers i had some minor issues..shims here and there to set the planks on..she's a rough looking unit ,LOl,,more a kin to the real one out the road that's been rotted out,stripped and discarded.. :-)..I cut myself a little more slack in this build ..more so than i did the first one that got flung across the basement..then cycled through the wood stove .. :-))..no stress eh!..Big thing for me right now is just to get a feel ,rhythm,confidence by completing a working unit ..the next one well be better..i hope ..

Given its only 1.5mm Basswood I'll clean up any corners or high spots a little to start

I intend to first use fiberglass resin inside and out ..this well add strength..then its bondo and glazing putty to fare the hull..this is where the pins come in ,I didn't recess the heads..so they will offer indicator so i don't get into the wood..

I had also considered using FG chop on the interior ..for additional strength

Your thoughts..dont leave me hangin ok2

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 04:25:50 pm »

I think most of us have been there and done the discard route. Don't worry, the more you do the easier it gets.
  I agree with the fiberglass and resin, glazing putty idea, however, instead of chop inside I use fiberglass cloth on the outside. Get a really light weight glass cloth and cut it a little larger than the hull. Slit it fore and aft for the bow and skeg. Then lay it over the hull (being upside down of course). The I mix a batch of resin and use a cheap foam roller (available in the paint section at CTC) and starting at the keel, roll the resin onto the cloth. Work down wards from the keel instead of length wise. This should leave you with a pretty smooth surface. Paint/pour resin on the inside and get it into all the nooks an crannies. I don't use any chop here. When its all hardened I give the outside a quick sand to take of the sharp bits, if any, then lay on auto body icing. Sand. Repeat as necessary, prime and paint. It seems to work easier for me than trying to get chop and such inside the hull. You also have a smooth place inside the hull to add all your running bits.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 05:51:36 pm »

I had considered cloth on the outside....Yes, I'll stick to what I know and keep using it on the outside...Thanks .

Part of me was hoping that could get a cleaner surface sooner without the cloth on the outside....which is why I thought about the chop on the inside ..I still get strenght..

No easy way around some things i guess..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »

I had considered cloth on the outside....Yes, I'll stick to what I know and keep using it on the outside...Thanks .

Part of me was hoping that could get a cleaner surface sooner without the cloth on the outside....which is why I thought about the chop on the inside ..I still get strenght..

No easy way around some things i guess..

If you use the roller it'll make a nice clean surface on the outside. Most people use a brush and thats where things start to bind up.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 06:31:38 pm »

The Brush....Im guilty :embarrassed:...

I'll give the roller a go... :-))

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 07:39:57 pm »

I've just had this done on my boat.

We found that the cheap foam rollers fall apart VERY quick and become useless in no time at all.  The best thing to use is a metal roller as pressure can be applied nicely to squeeze out the surplus resin.

Your troubles start when you cover the hardened glassed cloth. Please ensure the covering liquid is very runny and thinned out or else you will enter the problem zone that I now find myself in. If it hardens off before it is flat then you will have a nightmare on the 'Sanding scene'

Hope this helps

Ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 09:58:05 pm »

tug Kenny:  I must be using a different type of foam on my rollers I guess, because I've never had a problem with them falling apart. I just did two Springers this winter with the method described and they came off great.......with one foam roller. I do agree the resin is to be runny, however, what we get here in our Canadian Tire Stores is very runny and perfect for the job.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2010, 10:22:20 pm »

I was wondering about the foam roller ..I'm thinking they are the lil' yellow handle disposable rollers

I have a quart of the Bondo FG resin..yeah really thin..and boils off fast with the recommended 10drops that the instructions call for ..Im thinking that maybe 6-8 drops would give me some more extra work time ..
I don't want get into thinning ..the right ratio of acetone to resin to kicker.. is something I'm lost on ..I suck royally at math..its why I use mostly metric measuring tools when I can ..3/32 + 5/64  ya right ..I just lost a half a day ...

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 12:51:54 pm »

Just thought I'd include a picture of the paint rollers I've used with success. I got them from the paint section of Canadian Tire.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »

thanks..

:-)

More Coffee

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

Hi again ..
Any Idea on what/where FG cloth I should get/use..

More Coffee

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 11:44:17 pm »

A hull...

Her future skipper,my toughest critic,Has taken inventory of her design and workman ship and thinks "its good Daddy"..then wants to launch it in the domestic test facility(bathtub)..she's learning
The hull is currently in the shed sporting her first coat of resin..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2010, 12:03:52 am »

Hi again ..
Any Idea on what/where FG cloth I should get/use..

G'day

I got my FG cloth from my local hobby store. They carry a very fine grade that the flyers use.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2010, 01:34:12 am »

Ok ..now i got a bearing ..Thank you ..3/4oz cloth...Its beats the 8oz stuff at the hardware store ..

More Coffee

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 04:14:58 pm »

Well..I searched everywhere in this neck of the woods...Best I could get was  1oz fiber chop cloth..no weaved cloth..I hear the whine of a sander in my near future..

At any rate I did get the rollers..

Right now ..neck deep in bondo...

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 07:15:25 pm »

Well..I searched everywhere in this neck of the woods...Best I could get was  1oz fiber chop cloth..no weaved cloth.

You could try Nappy liners. Cheaper and just as strong.

I hear the whine of a sander in my near future 

Beware of the dust as it gets in the lungs and stays there forever. Your better off using slow sanding with paper while still protecting your breathing tubes with a GOOD mask.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.