Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yess'by ..my trawler build  (Read 25363 times)

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Yess'by ..my trawler build
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:17 pm »

You could try Nappy liners. Cheaper and just as strong.

Beware of the dust as it gets in the lungs and stays there forever. Your better off using slow sanding with paper while still protecting your breathing tubes with a GOOD mask.

Hope this helps

Ken

Or how about your wife's panty hose..........for the boat, not for you.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 02:16:19 am »

Well..from a gelatinous ooze to a hull ..smoother than a baby bottom ..

So to recap..
2coats resin on the wood
putty and filler with bondo..sanded
1 coat resin ,chop cloth applied..light sanding
2 more coats with light sanding in between
final coat resin with baby powder mixed..then added the kicker as prescribed
allowed to set ..
Sanded smooth..
I'll never use FG resin with a brush again ..a roller is the only way to go  :-))

a few minor pits here and there nothing a little glazing putty wont fix..

now just have to wait for the running hardware..In the mean time i'll busy with the superstructure..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 03:07:15 am »

Glad everything worked out for you . The hull looks great  :-))
  Now on to the neat detailing part.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 03:21:06 am »

Got the wheel house assembled..
Going py picture's and those drawings ..well i had to draw my own idea of what goes where..7 windows in the wheel house ..7 windows it is ..though I dont know of to many with curved glass! ...
A slight recess there it'll be flat ..Pimp my Boat?
With it in place ..she's taking on a being of her own ..seems to have a certain brow to her..

The roof and visor is next ..no fly deck or any of that noise.Its an extra sail ..and rarely seen on anything other than pleasure craft around here ..

The mast ..and outriggers with paravane fish..Hmmmm

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 11:37:23 am »

Coming along well. In the water by summer then.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2010, 01:11:25 pm »

After a long Hiatus..Im back in dry dock.fitted out with a rudder and steering servo..
Skeg is 1/4 key stock ..drilled for recessed screws..epoxy on the screws and wood then fastened together to the keel ..should keep the water out..
There's a brass bushing I Tapped in to the end to support the rudder
Rudder consist of brass..rod,.065 plate and some angle soldered together

Tiller arm is a Great Planes shaft collar filed to expose the brass and soldered to a piece of flat bar

A steering servo of the Futaba Flavor..the mount is some aluminium scrap I scored at work
servo is bolted to the mount ..the mount is bolted to the frame

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2010, 01:37:16 pm »

The vessel's coming along well. You may want to keep an eye on the rudder when you go t water. You may find it to be a tad small, and the vessel will take quite a bit to turn. Experience will tell. I had to enlarge the rudder on one of my tugs to get e decent turning circle out of it. Nothing to panic about, but something to keep in mind.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2010, 01:51:40 pm »

You think?

looking at the drawing I thought it to be to large?

But now that you mention it ..I sized it up again ..theres a little room to add a flap on the side of the shaft facing the propellor...

LOl...enginners dont make mistakes .....they make revisions !!!!

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

Yeh....."revisions"......you've got that right  :-)) Worked in a couple of power plants under construction. All kinds of design errors along the way. We had books of "Engineering Change Notations"......(MISTAKES!)... that had to be corrected. I guess the euphemistic term sounded better on their resume.

Anyway, here's the change I did to the rudder on my tug to get more area. Worked well, and made an easy change.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2010, 04:13:29 am »

moving along
Made a roof,built a hatch with a lid,built up a mast,cut the scuppers
pondering where the radar goes....

The mast is a turning point ..the rungs are a little heavy and of scale ..buts its all i had ..
The shaft is two pieces of brake line..a few bits of brass..some ol .015 shim stock and a few other bits that lay in the bottom of the my box

At this point ..Im pondering batteries..the mast for what it is has some weight to it..it;s CG is about 7inches up ..Im thinking it may make the boat unstable..
The motor is 12v..lead acid due to geometry is out if the question ..12v NimH ?? a pair?..with a lighter battery(s) i can put additional ballast low in the keel..

More Coffee

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2010, 02:01:18 am »

More saw dust,and chippin ..

Made a muffler out of some brass tube and shim stock..Cleaned it up using my hand held lathe..

Made a radar ..not pictured is an ol' Futaba servo hacked a bit to make it run under the roof

Made two work lights ..awaiting a little clear styrene to seal them up ..

Built a boom for the mast ..again ..some bits of brass and shim stock

Blew two holes in the bow bulkwarks to allow her to be tied up..need to make the cleats..

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2010, 02:46:53 am »

Coming along nicely. You'll be "fishin" by spring.

John

cosmic

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2010, 11:12:58 pm »

Any pictures ,comments or critisism appreciated :-))

Good job! On your next POB consider steam forming the planks, and avoid terminating planks on bulkheads that are located in areas of extreme curvature. I don't know how wide the planks are but they appear to be too much so. 1.5mm thickness is hard enough to form to the bulkheads at the proper width, which I suggest for a hull this size would be about 5mm. With a properly planked hull you won't need to finish the form with resin on the exterior, Instead, give the hull an inimitable "wooden" look by simply painting. You can just thickly paint the interior with poly resin for waterproofing. Over the exterior I use flat acryllic exterior house paint, with satin polyurethane over it for a "flat" weather resistant finish.

Having said all that, let me remark that the job you did scratchbuilding that little sound generator, the one that sounds "It's good daddy", is perfect work, and requires no improvement. ;)   

More Coffee

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2010, 12:34:25 am »

Actually ..the basswood was quite soft and followed the curvature well..

I have considered building a steamer out of 8in drain pipe an electric kettle and so on ..But im extremely limited for room in my little nook between a fridge and washer/dryer..

The Exterior paints by and large can offer an infinite array of colors..I hadnt really a clue where to start on that untill now ..Thanks for that info..
I have, and can air brush ..A single action Pasche H ,what ratio of paint to thinner?

The little sound module...well to assemble, was rather cheap but very labour intensive :}.... Im adding practicle modules such as Basic fileing ,gluing wood,sanding wood,
and Visual tutorials on soldering,cutting,measuring,plus basic electrical....She has her own little chair..and a little spot where she can practice away .. :-))

cosmic

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2010, 01:47:05 am »

The Exterior paints by and large can offer an infinite array of colors..I hadnt really a clue where to start on that untill now ..Thanks for that info..
I have, and can air brush ..A single action Pasche H ,what ratio of paint to thinner?

The little sound module...well to assemble, was rather cheap but very labour intensive :}.... Im adding practicle modules such as Basic fileing ,gluing wood,sanding wood, and Visual tutorials on soldering,cutting,measuring,plus basic electrical....She has her own little chair..and a little spot where she can practice away .. :-))
I don't know about the air brush. The paint i use is the premium grade of Behr brand exterior acrillic . It's very heavily pigmented and I thin it one to one with water, makes it flow and cover beautifully. If you have Home Depot up there, they carry it.
The module: Adorable!

More Coffee

« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2011, 03:55:51 pm »

Puttering and pondering along..
Applied resin to the interior
Made some doors from styrene,an anchor winch,a ladder from 14g house hold wire
a few more bits and tweaks,,touch of sanding she will be ready for paint..

One thing thats boggling me right now is the anchor stowage on the bow..

Paper shows just two pieces of rod glued down with a wooden anchor glued to it..
I intend to use shown anchor ....However ..the aforementioned anchor stowage arrangement simply wont do..
I had been considering the anchor in a near vertical position by manufacturing a stowage out of brass bit's and shim stock..just so the chain end was just above the bow ..anchor would be in a freefall position

Any Ideas out there ?

Myansome

« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2011, 04:34:26 pm »

:-)) Coming on good! Watching your build with fascination. Coo;!

More Coffee

« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2011, 04:49:45 am »

A little further to the end..

Revisited the muffler ..added a base..

I had a set of buttons from a kids toy in the very bottom ,lost and forgotten corner of my bin ..gave them a toss in the garbage ..a couple hours later ..I went and retrieved them post hast ...one is a spot light the other well become a radar dome of sorts.. still in the works

Adding "quarter guards"( I think that's the right term)....Basswood ..Cleaned the hull up with Varosol,scored some lines using a compass ,Contact cement and clamp ...

Cleaned up the keel around the stuffing tube ..I'm completely out of Bondo..which was a good thing ..Fiberglass resin and baby powder ..I made up a putty much like peanut butter..added kicker ..putty knifed it out and sanded smooth

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2011, 06:12:21 am »

....More Coffee says... "revisited the muffler ..added a base"..  :-)) & a very good job too! ..........Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

More Coffee

« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »

Thank you !!

I was going to leave out the lower Quarter guard ..but elected this morning to put it on ..

More Coffee

« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2011, 07:45:01 pm »

Plugging along ..
Primer on Electrics in ...

Have some small toggle switches comming to get rid of the slidder switch ..the reciever and switches will be in the hatch..

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2011, 07:52:19 pm »

Hy MC
Really nice build, lovely lines on that boat,proper job. :-))
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

More Coffee

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 04:30:42 am »

Laid some paint...my skills still need work here..

cosmic

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 04:53:02 am »

Laid some paint...my skills still need work here..

Not so you'd notice. :-)

More Coffee

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 07:34:09 pm »

Thanks for the comments...they are appreciated..

Kid you not at one point I was ready to throw this in the wood stove..I was having alot of trouble with the paint vs wood grain ..
But its essentially not mine...frustrated..turned of the lights..sucked on a beer(s),had a smoke and went to bed ..the next afternoon was a different story..it fell into place

Paint on keel is Tremclad satin black

white is Rustoleum

deck and quarter guards are Behr Flat exterior..$5 bucks for a tester can..that would do a Mister Darby over twice, the whole boat...
ran it through the air brush thinned out with blue windshield washer fluid..about 6-2 ,paint to thinner..On a Passche H using a #5 tip and nozzle
Either Brave or Stupid ..never used this mixture before...but it went on smooth..set up nice ..
My thoughts are to hit it with some satin clear next..

Any one know of a clear coat ,acrylic..water Based? that can be run through a air brush?

Ive learned my lesson ..struggling with spray bombs, rattle cans,dollar store brushes is 20fold the aggravation of setting up /using/and cleaning an air brush..cheaper to ..95% of the paint went on the model instead of a drop cloth or back splash..It also has the full support of the Admiralty..as it doesn't produce fumes
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 22 queries.