Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yess'by ..my trawler build  (Read 25356 times)

cosmic

Re: Yess'by ..my trawler build
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 09:58:09 pm »

Over the Behr white acryllic on my hull I used oil based Minwax satin polyurethane, the floor grade, also from Home Depot. About $40US per gallon. I don't know how you would thin it for an airbrush, but I'm sure it's do-able and it makes a beautiful durable finish.

bilzin

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 10:15:07 pm »

Plugging along ..
Primer on Electrics in ...

Have some small toggle switches comming to get rid of the slidder switch ..the reciever and switches will be in the hatch..

Ah...somebody else who gets his ESCs from the orient !

More Coffee

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 11:33:01 pm »

Actually...its a Pro-Boat..bought it new,.probably the same thing..
I prefer Mtroniks,but this was in the box doing nothing

More Coffee

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2011, 02:33:37 am »

Over the Behr white acryllic on my hull I used oil based Minwax satin polyurethane, the floor grade, also from Home Depot. About $40US per gallon. I don't know how you would thin it for an airbrush, but I'm sure it's do-able and it makes a beautiful durable finish.
Thanks cosmo..poking around the store ..I found myself in one of those situations that makes a guy go Hmmmm...
I'm gonna test the Behr Flat exterior mixed with Varathane water based Satin clear coat..
See how that goes...I just may end up shooting top coat of Satin Clear..

Paint on the wheel house..I'm missing something here...this boat is more and more looking like it came out of a Dick Tracy flick.
So I Picked up some light grey today ..gonna do the decks,and wheel house roof ..hopefully it adds some contrast...The solid colors are nice ..but I do think some neutrality is in order. 
I guess ..maybe.. I'm half smart and plenty dangerous <*<

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2011, 03:08:29 am »

Looking very good. You should be proud.

John

nhp651

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2011, 08:48:36 am »

Looking gorgeous.....what a lovely and very businesslike shape to her hull.
neil.

More Coffee

« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 12:45:12 am »

Paint : Re-Visted
Shot the decks and wheel house with some light gray, Behr exterior,flat paint and primer, blown on with my Passche H with #5 tip thinned with Windsheild wash ,running the gun at 75psi.
still have some white to shoot ,but as i was shoting grey, shoot everything

General mock up, plans call for a couple windows in the aft part of the cabin..found these little picture frames at the dollar store..gold colored ,,made of some kind of metal .

More Coffee

« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2011, 01:05:12 am »

have an idea what i may use as fishing gear..Now I wish I had a Lathe...

See Santa was it really worth a boot to the head for showing up empty handed!

More Coffee

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 10:06:01 pm »

Chugging Along..

Got to making the bouys,Some beads ,wooden balls, brass stock ..paint..
a fore mast. The VHF antenna,saw that in Pats Baywatch boat build,I soldered brass to get it ..then realised after i had styrene that could have done the same ,waste of blood pressure. the antena on the other side is just brass wire and a small piece of brass tube
Radome is a "Start Black Copy" button out of an old printer milled to resemble something of that nature.
The muffler didnt grow on me so I fabbed a new one,with an air intake next to it.
Started making a rear deck ..a larger winch will be here with a little netting
to smaller spools will also grace the deck, as well as a bait table.

More Coffee

« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2011, 02:01:28 am »

Finished the mast.
Anometer is some beads, brass wire and tube,

GPS is one of those screw cap/plugs you get with assemble yourself furniture

Copy button/ Radome installed,

And antenna's..

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2011, 03:05:50 am »

All that hard work on the hull preparation has certainly paid off, it's a magnificent finish :-)) The quality of the fittings is also very impressive, in fact, you're making a wonderful job of the whole project. I'm looking forward to pictures of further progress.

Peter.

More Coffee

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2011, 01:53:57 am »

Thanks for the comments!!!

I must be mad ..1mm x 1.5mm leds wired for sound... used armature wire to make the leads. .013 wire through .020 holes in the bulkheads.. Im blind now..

Lights look OK.I should have played with the resistor value's to dim some ..but If it's loud ,bright or shiney ..kids want in ..

More Coffee

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2011, 03:34:50 am »

No pics ..
but

Domestic Test Facility test's where commenced.
Proboat 50amp ESC..Johnson 550"ish Motor,Dumas 1.75dia prop(three feather) ...smoked a 15amp fuse..in 30 seconds full throttle
....Hmmmmm..Theres probably more to gear reduction than I gave credit to ..
replaced with a 25amp ..appears OK..

Still to much for a pair Of 3800Mah Nimh flat packs.
way reduced run time I suspect.

Lessons learned

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2011, 10:32:01 am »

....................25 MPS........Hmmmmmmm.  I think I'd be checking for some binding in the drive/prop shaft system.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2011, 11:02:58 am »

Thanks ..I Checked that out. I should note to that the fuses are Power Fist brand from Princess Auto.
Its smooth..with a little end play..Maybe to much end play? I should maybe put a thrust washer out board ?

I ran the same motor ,battery config on a 40mm prop. no problems on another boat..

Pondering again ..maybe a 1.5prop, Or even another 1.75 prop..with less pitch ..

The Dumas I think has a pitch of 2.

Your Intial suspecions on the rudder are proving correct though. Im now thinking its to small.

However..I cant make it taller as I wont be able to remove it or put it back in ...So I intend to add a piece to the opposite side towards the prop on the rudder shaft.
This should catch more prop wash and aid in turning.The rudder will be facing more than 2/3's of the prop when turned vs the 50% of the prop that the rudder currently gets

oldiron

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2011, 12:41:33 pm »

Thanks ..I Checked that out. I should note to that the fuses are Power Fist brand from Princess Auto.
Its smooth..with a little end play..Maybe to much end play? I should maybe put a thrust washer out board ?

I ran the same motor ,battery config on a 40mm prop. no problems on another boat..

Pondering again ..maybe a 1.5prop, Or even another 1.75 prop..with less pitch ..

The Dumas I think has a pitch of 2.

Your Intial suspecions on the rudder are proving correct though. Im now thinking its to small.

However..I cant make it taller as I wont be able to remove it or put it back in ...So I intend to add a piece to the opposite side towards the prop on the rudder shaft.
This should catch more prop wash and aid in turning.The rudder will be facing more than 2/3's of the prop when turned vs the 50% of the prop that the rudder currently gets

I use a fair bit of Princess Auto stuff too, but sometimes the quailty is not always at the top. I wonder if they are blowing too early?
  your end play should be minimal, not tight, but not sloppy either. All the forward thrust should be taken by the thrust bearing and not the motor.
 Since you are using the "domestic test facility" you are running the vessel at stall when you're taking your readings. This will give a much higher amperage reading than if the vessel was underway.
 Its turning out nice though no the less. Just a little teething problem we all go through.
  Good idea to try and extend the rudder a little towards the prop. It'll give it a more balanced effect too, that will make it easier on the servo.

John

More Coffee

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2011, 01:28:29 pm »

Theres enough end play to suggest its there..and thats it.

Thanks ..
I was not aware that Stalling a boat would require more power than underway..I just assumed thrust was thrust..

ZZ56

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2011, 10:50:27 pm »

What kind of Johnson ''550'' do you have?

I got two from Princess Auto that draw less than 3 amps (each) running 2" props.  The dual-shaft ones with the pre-attached leads.  http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v323/DestructorBot/Tug%20Build%20number%202/P1000069.jpg

More Coffee

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2011, 04:15:11 pm »

Its just two I got of the shelf there. Other than Johnson theres no other marking.It has an internal fan.
Theres endplay ..But im also thinking that the dog bone may be to tight.I'll adjust it .

This type of motor may be suffering from underloading voltage wise.not enough voltage to sustain the load,just means it draws more current. Its quite hard on them. A higher voltage would require less current..

hemayann

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2011, 09:57:47 am »

hi is it possible for me to buy a sset of them plans or do you no where i wan get a set? ***email address removed*** email me
cheers ethan

***Please PM this member if you have information***
It is really not secure to publish your email on any open forum
Malware looks for emails and sends SPAM and perhaps more malware

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2011, 10:53:41 am »

hi is it possible for me to buy a sset of them plans or do you no where i wan get a set?***email removed*** email me
cheers ethan
Mate the moderators will tell you it is not a good idea to put your email address up on the forum.
There is Personal Message function to communicate direct with other members.
Quite a few of us have fallen into that trap.

***sorted, cheers***

More Coffee

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2011, 07:49:16 pm »

Actually ...ahh..no ..I only saw this set on E-Bay once and never saw them again ..There are similar set's on E-bay..worth a look I guess

hemayann

« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2011, 07:31:21 am »

where can i get a copy of these plans?

More Coffee

« Reply #73 on: December 18, 2011, 03:38:15 pm »

Wish I could tell you .
I havent seen another set,and as I said I carved mine up building this boat.

Ebay Canada or USA is your best bet,there have been similar plans avaliable but like  the ones I "had"

cosmic

« Reply #74 on: December 18, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »

Try eBay at http://www.ebay.com/sch/vergina123/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686 . All plans on CD (print them at Kinko's). I built their bunker boat, a menhaden fishing trawler.

Another good source: free plans from http://www.freeshipplans.com/ .
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.