Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dunkirk evacuation 1940.  (Read 5501 times)

tugmad

Dunkirk evacuation 1940.
« on: May 02, 2010, 01:34:44 am »

On May 22nd and 23rd there is going to be an exhibition to bring to the fore the part that Thames tugs played in the Historic evacuation of Dunkirk and the surrounding areas,
about 50 tugs attended or worked in the south coast ports during this time, we would like to bring this to the attention of the general public.

So we are putting on a display of Pictures, information and Models of some of the tugs that were there,
any help with further information or models would be appreciated.
so far we have models of:-  The Contest,Challenge,Crested Cock, Ocean Cock. Simla, Tanga, Fabia,Lady Brassey, Sun XV, SunXI,and Racia.
any further help would be appreciated.

There is also the opportunity to go aboard and look around the last Empire Tug afloat in the UK   The CERVIA Ex Empire Raymond at present moored in Ramsgate harbour.

Geo B

tugmad

Re: Dunkirk evacuation 1940. Ramsgate 22,23 &26th may
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 09:55:48 am »

Chantry model club put on a good display of models of tugs that went to Dunkirk in 1940 and the last Empire tug afloat in the UK the Cervia was also open to the public,her are a few pictures taken over the 3 day event.   And a link to a lot more   http://www.michaelsbookshop.com/510b/id13.htm  there is also a link once opened to a lot of pictures of Cervia and all the other happenings at Ramsgate over the last few days.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Dunkirk evacuation 1940.
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:09:49 am »

Great coverage on the BBC today! I'm sure I spotted 'Bluebird of Chelsea' in the flotilla... or her sister....

..... in part:
  http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8707657.stm
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

tugmad

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:43:16 am »

Hi Martin  yes Bluebird was definately there  :-))

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:46:11 am »

Hi Martin  yes Bluebird was definately there  :-))
  Sorry but he is stuck at home,  <:( <:( <:( <:(

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

tugmad

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 12:33:00 pm »

not you   silly boy %) %) Bluebird of chelsea she is a rather lovely looking motor yacht. {-) {-)

bosun

• Full Mayhemer
    • bosunsmodelboats.com
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 01:59:30 pm »

Hy Tugmad
Absolutely stunning display, great pics especially on the link, is the Sun XV one of yours, I know you like your Sun Tugs just by following your previous posts. Well done to all concerned, excellent.
Bosun
bosunsmodelboats.com

tugmad

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »

Hi Bosun   No the XV was made by one of our other members I am gradually getting them on the right track O0 O0 {-) {-) the sun XI is one of mine.

Geo

Patternmaker

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:08:28 pm »

I saw the 4 Leigh Cockle boats leave to help with the evacuation, and 3 return, Endeavour was lost, she hit a mine while under tow.

tugmad

Re: Dunkirk evacuation 1940. ENDEAVOUR
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:40:46 pm »

Hello paternmaker,  There were actually  six Liegh boats  readied for Dunkirk , Reliance  Defender, Endeavour, Resolute Renown and Letitia,
Resolute is still under sail. Letitia is still fishing, official No MN19. Defender was last seen rotting in the Channel Islands , and the fact that I saw her in Ramsgate yesterday and she is in the photographs attached to this thread Endeavour is still going great she did lose her rudder and was towed back to the UK by the Coaster Ben & Lucy,  the Renown was the one that never came back.

Hope this helps clear any confusion

George.

Appologies to micheal childs.

Mike S

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 06:25:27 pm »

Hi Tugmad,

I went down to Ramsgate yesterday (Wed. 26th May) to see all the various stuff going on as part of Ramsgate Dynamo Day. The Ramsgate Maritime Museum was an unexpected bonus, and the exhibition was superb.

A brilliant day out, pity about the weather, it was grey, overcast, and bl**dy freezing!!, but still, this event only comes around once every five years. Here's a few pictures of the stars of the show parked up in the Ramsgate Royal Harbour Marina.

Cheers

Mike

Patternmaker

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 06:47:08 pm »

Hello paternmaker,  There were actually  six Liegh boats  readied for Dunkirk , Reliance  Defender, Endeavour, Resolute Renown and Letitia,
Resolute is still under sail. Letitia is still fishing, official No MN19. Defender was last seen rotting in the Channel Islands , and the fact that I saw her in Ramsgate yesterday and she is in the photographs attached to this thread Endeavour is still going great she did lose her rudder and was towed back to the UK by the Coaster Ben & Lucy,  the Renown was the one that never came back.

Hope this helps clear any confusion

George.

Appologies to micheal childs.

Yes George you are correct it was the Renown that was lost with all hands, I only saw 4 boats leave from their moorings at Leigh, although there
were 6 Leigh Bawleys in total that went to Dunkirk. I lived on a houseboat about 600yds from Leigh Cockle sheds where we got our fresh water
from.

vintagent

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 08:24:42 pm »

Patternmaker, my old boat Vanity ended up there before she was sold to Bristol.
Then they hauled her out and kept her at dauntless's yard for a while.

Also, my Uncle Ted Parker had a Dunkirk little ship on the Essex coast for years.  Most of my childhood weekends were spent there, while my Dad did a lot of work on her. Ted was useless unless bricklaying for which there was almost no use at all on a 32Ft. Thorneycroft!
She had a Meadows 4ED engine. Very sought after now by Frazer-Nash fans and I believe Lagondas too.  I wish I'd pinched the plaque out of the wheelhouse..."Dunkirk 1940".
But she will become another model on the to-do list.

Regards,
Vintagent

Patternmaker

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 10:26:44 pm »

Vintagent, Dauntless boat yard has expanded and still thriving. also Johnson & Jagos at Leigh where Letitia was built in 1938 they also built MTBs & MLs during the war.

vintagent

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 09:47:39 am »

Blimey!  J&J still there!  Well that's something.  I used to live in Westcliff, later Southchurch and Leigh was always my saviour when I was fed up.  The Crooked Billet, the cafe next to the Ship, the Peter Boat and of course, a plate o' cockles.  Then up to Two Tree Island, watch some clever devils with their R/C aircraft and get the head cold blown away on the sea wall and back for a cup of hot chocolate at the golf driving range and jump on a Tilbury electric for the short train ride back home.  Not a bad Saturday or Sunday.  I've had worse!
Of course after alighting the train at Southchurch, I'd call in at the Model Boat Club for a spot of tethered hydro.

Happy days, Patternmaker and I see you're still over that way.

regards,
Vintagent

Patternmaker

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2010, 08:11:18 pm »

Vintagent  I know It's off topic but might be of some interest, the reason I have included a link of my memories of the 1953 floods is because the Leigh Cockle Boats were involved in another rescue in 1953

The Crooked Billet and Peter Boat still there very upmarket now; you would not recognise Two Tree Island now it's a large marina, no trees now. Our houseboat (converted Thames Barge) was moored just behind Leigh Station; we had to move in 1947 because they were going to build a Marina there.
Moved our boat to Small Gains Creek Canvey Island. After The 1953 floods they dammed the creek which meant we couldn't  move again. Moved into a bungalow in 1957 the first time in my life living on land.
Regards Mick 

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__319_path__0p2p19p.aspx
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.