Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Clear Horizon  (Read 10528 times)

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Clear Horizon
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2011, 03:12:00 pm »

Has the new chairman got a strong bias towards fast electric/ic racing by any chance?

Being in one corner of the country, and Norfolk lacking a motorway are two issues that can affect attendance, but there's not much you can do about that.

Targets can sail in almost any stretch of water, whereas submarines- if you want to experience the best of them- require clear deep water. It's also helpful if that water is wade-able to recover the boat if the worst happens.

Venues like that are rather thin on the ground, so submariners are more likely to make an effort to travel.

Also having two events is more likely to thin attendance at either event. A single event focuses attention.

Can't make the May event but will try and get to the September bash.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2011, 02:20:02 pm »

Hi Subs,Thanks for the back up comments,I have passed them on to our chairman in support of our needs
He has got no real preference towards fast electric or anything else for that matter,in fact,he has three subs of his own
so I think its down to inexperience and being pressured by two skimmer skippers for naval day,They will not get much support
from the S.W.A or T.F.72 boys so next year should,if lessons are learned,be back to normal
I will push for re-instatement of the August National sub day at the same time

Regards Donuts

Davy1

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2011, 10:05:07 am »

I see, so the two days are identical.

I would suggest that you do go for the single day (I agree with Andy.) It seems that you have (almost inadvertently) diluted what was probably the best submarine event in the UK (Sorry about the beer metaphors!)

I have never seen more boats anywhere than at Norwich a few years back.

Norwich is actually quite good for a lot of the country - it is a bit up north and there is no London in the way to get to it! A one day event is actually quite OK too. (You were talking about making it a 2 day event, I think.)

I am only speaking as me on this Forum but I think the AMS would agree with the above.

David

Davy1

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2011, 01:37:46 pm »

Actually just another slightly off - topic point.

I don't actually agree with Andy's statement about model subs looking best in clear water.  (Sorry! %))

There is nothing more scale like than some dirty water - like a lot of the world seas.

Sub movies give a totally misleading impression of underwater visibility.

Our American cousins seem to spend a lot of time running model subs in swimming pools but that can be rather restrictive to a good hobby.

David

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2011, 02:32:45 pm »

There's never a shortage of grubby puddles about, but finding water with good clarity, which is deep and enables a good viewpoint is far more difficult.
Many repeat attendees at the Dive-ins travel hundreds of miles to attend, and we've even had international visitors from Belgium and interest from France, Germany, Australia and U.S.A. You would be unlikely to receive that level of interest if it was held in a local pond or lake.

Submarine modellers in the U.S actually spend as much time in conventional lakes as modellers in this country. They tend to hold regular monthly meetings throughout the year, and where available some groups operate in indoor swimming pools during the cold winter months. Bearing in mind the winters in some parts of the U.S are considerably harder than ours, I don't blame them to be honest.

The submarine modellers that appear to spend the most amount of time in swimming pools are the Germans.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:40 pm »

A few good points for our Chairman to mull over
A one Day National event is ,as I see it,the way to go,A two day event would be even better !!!!
An International two day event would be,Probably,the doggies do dahs
Ahhh If only
 By the way,when our german friends are sailing in the swimming pools,do they still put towels out on every sunlounger

Regards Donuts   

silent running556

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2011, 09:08:41 pm »

Any relation to a certain Uncle Albert? :} Now there was a great sailor if ever there was one.
Last seen on the new class of nuclear sub known as HMS Floater i think heading up a creek somewhere as we speak, very hush hush.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2011, 09:09:00 pm »

Two day event in June.  :-))

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:54 pm »

I am actually Uncle Alberts Long lost and illegitamate son,I am now working as a skipper on a splash target
I am in my spare time working on Two Day event for  june 2012

Regards Donuts

Patrick Henry

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 06:54:17 am »

Two day event in June.  :-))

Can I come?

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 07:22:39 am »

Yes, everyone is welcome to come along.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 07:24:12 am »

I fancy sailing the Neptune in a big pool...can you post up some directions Andy?

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 07:46:14 am »

I thought you had sold the neptune?

All details for the weekend Summer Dive-in, including google maps location can be found on an earlier posting. Here is the link-

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=27666.0

You can get door to door directions by clicking on the following link and typing in your postcode in box 'A'-

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/place?cid=8029491325922838352&q=st+albans+sub+aqua+club&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=sub+aqua+club&hnear=City+of+St+Albans,+Hertfordshire

It's a very easy venue to get to, and there is free onsite parking, although space is limited to about 20-25 cars, so if you want to guarantee a spot, arrive early!

The pool is 100ftx60ft and has a 9ft deep end with very low chlorine content.

Patrick Henry

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50:46 am »

Thanks for that, I'll get a print out of the directions.

I sold the original Neptune, it went back three times, had a new power board, then a new esc, then I/we/they/ couldn't stop it leaking, so in the end I got rid of it and bought another one.

Rich

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 10:36:16 am »

I am in my spare time working on Two Day event for  june 2012

Regards Donuts

Another event in June does run the risk of reaching saturation, what with the Summer Dive-in and Alfold events taking place in the same month.

Perhaps if you want to go for a weekender, the August date would be better, as there is nothing else on model submarine related during that month. Either that or perhaps July?

I did consider running the Summer Dive-in during July at one time, however it tends to be a busy month for the venue we operate at, plus the water starts to go a little green as the pool is unfiltered with just a sprinkling of chlorine.

One or two people coming long distance to the Dive-ins make a weekend of it, finding something non-sub related to do on the Saturday, like a bit of shopping, visiting a museum or taking in a show/gig. Norfolk has plenty to offer the tourist, especially those with a nautical bent with the broads and a pleasant coastline.

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 03:02:30 pm »

All suggetsions are being taken onboard.I would like all submariners to have a chat via this or other media and give me some some feedback as to prefered dates,Maybe August this year is feasible,I will try my hardest to organise a two day event if that is what people want

Gentlemen the floor is yours

Regards Donuts

Patrick Henry

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 03:41:59 pm »

At least a two day event makes the trip worth while...

Rich

Davy1

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 03:49:27 pm »

I've enjoyed coming to your sub days in the past and travelling a long distance, and my suggestions are:

- Dates - not too bothered as long as they are posted very well in advance like the January before. I book hotels early etc.

- (For this reason I wouldn't make any changes to this years dates.)

- A one day event is just fine, in fact.  I like to do some Norfolk sightseeing with my other half on the Saturday. A two day event works well for shows such as Merstham or Alfold (Where there is more to see + Traders etc)  but 6 hours of "Tranny" time is enough for a pool side event.

Best of luck with what is always a splendid event and a reciprocal invitation to Barrow in Furness MBC in September!

David

Patrick Henry

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 03:52:48 pm »

What's a hotel? Us poor old pensioners can't afford hotels....we have to sleep on the back seat of the car.  :((

silent running556

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 08:08:18 pm »

Splash target eh, probably i'm like that with onions.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 09:51:04 pm »

What's a hotel? Us poor old pensioners can't afford hotels....we have to sleep on the back seat of the car.  :((

What's that sound I hear, I think it's violins.......

Patrick Henry

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 09:52:09 pm »

You wait until you get to my age...

silent running556

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2011, 08:42:53 pm »

The great ancient one has spoken. 8)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.