Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 1:36 Pointy thing  (Read 18160 times)

mogogear

Re: 1:36 Pointy thing
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 07:36:06 pm »

You two are so helpful...... "paper towels " is the term in my head...  O0

Nice procedure...beats trying to punch out holes of make grating from scratch for sure

Tony I has seen the soldering iron tip you manufactured to melt out the pattern for the grating support beams-- great idea...I had been wondering about grating materials and I had thought of using fiberglass screen material found on this side of the pond at home improvement stores for window and door screens. Making a plasticard framework and laying the screen on top ( with perhaps a few coats of paint to thicken up the mesh... a few test panels will let me know if that will work as designed...

Regarding your question elsewhere about the method of firing the torpedo's from the tubes ...any definite answers yet??..I had seen slow burning powder referred to in a few web searches- and compressed air as well....I had never really thought about the mechanism till you stated the question...

It is odd-- with the supply of steam on board in great quantities..the evolution from cold pressure for torpedo propulsion to "hot" pressure, why didn't employ the steam driven piston the force the torpedo into action??  Just an steam amateurs question - as  I am sure there are many learned ones out there that can answer with many obvious reasons that escape me.. :embarrassed:

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2010, 05:33:19 pm »

Ingenuity - No Way but miserlyness  >:-o based on the refusal to pay $100 or so for proper gratings! Isn't that the fun of scratch-building %%

Your idea should work well, Mo. It's all just a case of whatever works at the approximate scale in all these things. I know that my aim is to build something that looks fairly right and where the only thing I have to buy is the glue. Hasn't worked yet though!

As far as the torpedo tubes are concerned, I still have no hard evidence but one of the deck photos shows what seems to be a high pressure hose strung along the after deck stanchions towards the stern and about a foot above the deck. It's not just hung there but tied on as if it were a semi-permanent fitting - i.e. not a fire hose or anything for instant flexibility. It couldbe a connection but I've no way yet of knowing.

I'll put the pic on later so you can have a look

Tony 

mogogear

« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2010, 09:50:20 pm »

I saw the picture you posted of the tube mount elsewhere... Good luck on arriving at your determination of method.

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2010, 09:04:09 pm »

Most of the bits are on - at least on one side :embarrassed:

Now to turn the beast around and start again.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 09:20:17 pm »

Very crisp & sharp detailing tonyH ........ :-)) ....Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

mogogear

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 09:30:11 pm »

Excellent progress...The grating really looks great with the brown contracting color.. :-))  Just out of curiosity..

Is it an optical illusion that the torpedo tubes appear lower than the stanchions and cables?  I was wondering how they would shoot over/ through them..? I assume it is an officers WC enclosure at the Port aft ? I would hate to be in there when the rear tube was need to aimed in that direction  :o

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 08:36:33 pm »

Nice one Tony,
The Gratings really stand out .  {:-{and the boarding ladder really emphasizes curve of the deck migrating to the ships shell plates.. O0. Superbly done
Freebooter :-))
Retired  Ships Officer/ Master.
Experience: 50+ years at sea under Sail, Steam & Motor
Kings Lynn

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 10:30:22 pm »

Cheers Chaps, still a way to go but it's getting there.

Sorry Mo, port side is steerage class heads only (2 between 54). Awficers (1 between 4) to starboard to be fitted but I've got to amend them 'cos I've just found detailed drawing of the plumbing! As far as use during torp firing is concerned, I don't think that Health and Safety was around in those days so the heads came down along with most of the rails.

I'm pleased you like the grating. It does seem to work at that scale.

Crew figures (Russians to be converted) got today so all I need to actually buy now is the anchor chain and the flag!

Tony

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2010, 12:43:29 am »

It Doze seem a shame after all your work (good British workman ship what!) that you should have to put a French flag on her ...  {:-{ on 2nd thought and on reflection of the way she handels   O0 Yes you should stick a tricolour on her as soon as possible  {-)  {-) 
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »

Nah, the steering problem is down to another matter. If you look at the focal point on the attached, you'll see what I mean :-))

On the chest outside the galley is what I mean - not the gun!!!!

Sorry, the image is a bit small but I'm sure its claret

mogogear

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2010, 04:13:20 pm »

{-)  Maybe it steadied the hands of the gunners!!! Good eyes.

Hey Tony a quick question...did you apply your fiber coat over your model hul all at once?  By this I mean , since the hull has curvature on top without the usual edge between the hull and decking - did you apply the cloth and resin or epoxy to the topside at the same time as the bottom? Then just sanded off the drips as one side did have the force of gravity pulling in its favor .

I hope you get what I am aiming for- I am getting closer to that step with my hull ( I also will most likely melt out the foam plug as mine has the rounded forecastle and rear decking.)

thanks for any enlightenment

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2010, 07:21:01 pm »

Hi Mo,

Luckily the original photo is a lot bigger, it's just that I mucked up the reduction :embarrassed:

As far as the hull is concerned, I only used fibreglass tissue/resin on the inside once I'd planked up to about 3/4 height. I stuck the cloth in sections first with spray adhesive just to locate it and then brushed the resin on with a brush head on a stiff wire handle so I could bend it and get into the corners.

The outside was done with tissue from a local art shop with a good brushing of aircraft dope. 2 caots in most places and 3 in some. Then just a fine sand off with 600 grit and another couple of coats of dope.

Tony

PS

I just had another thought about how you could atttack it. Before I made this verion, I made a small one (1:72) about 2ft long. I split the frames in half along the centre line, planked each half separately and then joined the two halves together, basically gluing along the keel and the centre of the deck line.
I don't know whether you could just put yours on a band saw, cut along the length and do the same sort of thing. In fact I'm sure that there's a pic on the other 'pointy thing' thread showing this being done with another model.

Tony

mogogear

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2010, 08:27:00 pm »

Since I am not wanting to make more hulls from this plug- I am proceeding towards a sacrificial plug :

Fiber / epoxy( so as not to melt plug with resin) the hull ( top and bottom)

After thickness is achieved, add acetone or similar to the inside and melt the blue foam out of the way. I may add another layer inside once I  assess.

Trim up the openings - add combing around the perimeter of my engine compartment

Frame out as needed for strength and mounting of ballast, engine / boiler mounting plate , outdrive gearbox etc. epoxy in rudder tube and locate prop shafts and struts

Construct the lift-off superstructure

etc..

Sorry to fill your thread with is off-topic dribble.. I will not continue after this and will start my own thread :embarrassed:

FWIW- After looking at the torpedo tube pictures you posted - and posed the question---I have been scouring archives on early US , UK and French navy torpedo methods. The area under the "loading end" of your tubes sure look to be connected to a section of linkage as opposed to a tube to deliver pressure.

I am strongly leaning towards a cordite charge that is initiated by that "firing linkage" connected to the trigger hidden in the the protrusions you refer to.

So vote to cordite!!

Thanks again for sharing your thread on your wonderful and timely build and your friendly and helpful answers

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2010, 10:49:25 pm »

Don't worry Mo, the thread's only a framework for stuff that's in the same ballpark. I certainly would not class your posts as ' off-topic dribble'!
I was only thinking of splitting the plug down the centre so you would not have to tidy up the sides, only the keel and, possibly, a bit on the top.
From what I've seen on your web site, you won't have any trouble whatever way you do it :-))

I look forward to seeing the rest of the build.

Thanks for the input on the TT's. I'm pretty certain you're right but I keep on finding new details on the plans that keep on coming out of the woodwork. It's always the same that the best data is always after the part is done {:-{

Tony

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:13 pm »

Almost there. Added 'stuff' such as crew, boats etc. All that's left now is anchor chains, flag, a few more matelots and 2 bottles of vin ordinaire - one at 1:36 and one at 1:1!

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 17, 2010, 07:35:23 pm »

Tony
  Nice job... No reflection on you,( you've done a marvelous job)---  {:-{ and this could only be said about a French Warship ---But I think she looks very pretty  %) :} %% :-))
   Freebooter  ;)
Kings Lynn

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2010, 07:39:48 pm »

My Daughters dared me to post that last tidbit
Jimmy
Kings Lynn

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #42 on: September 17, 2010, 08:42:01 pm »

Excellent model, very envious.

Could put photos on right way round though.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

mogogear

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2010, 03:10:05 am »

Fabulous work and results Tony..maybe a a broadside shot if you please..only for my selfish wants!

MAYBE A GRATUITOUS TOUR OF THE WHOLE SHIP NOW THAT ALL DETAILS ARE INTACT...

As Oliver Twist once said ..." Please, I would like a bit more Sir"

thanks

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2010, 09:30:28 am »

What's the big Q-stick on the front for?

... oh, we done that already.  %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 12:35:36 am »

Down Boy ,,, Put it back in the  box Martin
Freebooter
Kings Lynn

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2010, 05:49:23 pm »

Wadja Mean Jim, She's not PRETTY - she's a mean fightin' machine!!! or my name's not Antoine!!!

Just 'cos she's got style and the biggest decision made on board is which wine to have for lunch (see attached)  %%

Next pic's Mo will be when she's finished and sur l'eau. I'll e-mail the onboard inspection set rather than posting them on here.

Martin, I've still got the mini version for you to play with in the bath Martin - plastic duckies should beware :-))

mogogear

« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 06:10:13 pm »

%% %% %% O0 {-)

That shot is priceless. Thanks Antoine - let me know if you do not have my email addy :-))

I just received a few new books on the early torpedo boats and I am deep in savoring details! The book "The First Destroyers " By David Lyon is really nice with a small set of plans for the Vosper included as an insert

cheers and she is something to behold...BTW-did your ship have a bow rudder like some of the English destroyers???

Jimmy James

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 07:44:15 pm »

Still looks pretty to me  and I've not been on the horrid frog red stuff   {only my normal Pinkers or a G & T}
Hic! Jimmy
Kings Lynn

tonyH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 10:19:10 pm »

Hi Mo,

No bow rudder. That's why she's such a dog to drive as Jimmy J will confirm - with or without the gin O0

David Lyons book is excellent. It's only a pity that Greenwich chare so much for proper drawings. Thats why I've gone continental - they're free.

The chef, by the way, started as a Russian as did all the crew.

Tony
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.