Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Horizon Oil Rig - Explosion, fire sinking & oil slick  (Read 11496 times)

The Antipodean

Re: Horizon Oil Rig - Explosion, fire sinking & oil slick
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2010, 02:46:50 pm »

Strange how they keep changing their story, seems that they can't make up their minds if the engineering changes that made the shears inoperable happened or not.
They also seem to be forgetting the damage seal that lead to false pressure readings and was major news a few weeks back.

I find it odd how certain things just get swept under the rug.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2010, 02:58:35 pm »

I suppose I'm disappointed that an engineering solution hasn't been found by now, after all they have a
solid steel foundation to start from, ie. the failed BOP. I can hear Brunell turning over and over in his grave!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

The Antipodean

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:28 pm »

They didn't put any effort into their planning for an event like this, no safety or clean up protocol to go along with the leaps in drilling technology. A lot of Americans are crying out for new laws as the old ones were worked of the buddy system. Basically they are saying that if you don't have the means available to prevent or claen up an accident at this depth you should not begin the drilling.

I live 8 hours away from the closest affected areas and it is hitting my pocket here, seafood has started to jump up in price as the majority of American seafood comes from the Gulf.

w3bby

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2010, 07:52:48 am »

Found this link on another forum, gives the whole massive problem/disaster a local perspective..
http://www.ifitwasmyhome.com/

HawkEye

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »

Here is the link to the all the live ROV streams on one page  -

http://www.sanaracreations.fi/rov-feeds/index.html

( Note : the link appears not to work in Opera browser.)

Arsenic levels rise in seawater around the Gulf of Mexico -  :o

http://www.news.com.au/world/more-bad-news-for-bp-as-arsenic-levels-rise-in-seawater-around-the-gulf-of-mexico/story-e6frfkyi-1225888272667#ixzz0ss8Dc

UGA Department of marine sciences -

http://gulfblog.uga.edu/

HawkEye

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 04:35:55 pm »

personally I think we need to drill a wide hole down to within a few meters of the well pipe, lower a thermonuclear device, plug the nuke pipe and detonate the nuke, this will constrict the well pipe, stopping the flow, either entirely or sufficiently to plug it with rock and concrete without the need to worry about it being blown out.

Russia tried this several times with 100% success rate
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Umi_Ryuzuki

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »

personally I think we need to drill a wide hole down to within a few meters of the well pipe, lower a thermonuclear device, plug the nuke pipe and detonate the nuke, this will constrict the well pipe, stopping the flow, either entirely or sufficiently to plug it with rock and concrete without the need to worry about it being blown out.

Russia tried this several times with 100% success rate

Russia doesn't give environmentalists a voice either.

The reason New Orleans suffered so much during Hurricane Katrina is that once upon a time, when
the Netherlands proposed the Deltawerks, the United States Army Corp of Engineers simultaneously designed
a surge protection system for Lake Pontratrain. Wile the Dutch proceeded to build miles of flood gates, including the
Maeslant Barrier, the Army Corp of Engineers built.... well,... very little... Because the main storm surge barrier that
would protect Lake Pontratrain  was tied up in environmental review. In fact, it never got built... Such a surge barrier
would destroy the environmental balance of the delta.

There is no way that there would be any agreement to pop a low yield nuke off the coast of the United States,...(let alone Cuba)

%)

The Antipodean

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 08:41:13 pm »

The other problem with a nuke is that the rock could also crack and open many more gushers, multiplying the problem beyond the disaster it is now.
This nuke idea has been put forward a number of times down here and the experts have all agreed, don't do it, it is only a few of the radical right talk show hosts that are still pushing ideas like this, but then they are also pro seal clubbing and whale hunting as well.

kiwi

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:20 am »

Hi Martin,
Another possibility, is that BP has never said it is trying to stop the leak, only trying to recover the oil which is escaping.
Give that some thought, and review all the official statements with that in mind
cheers
vnkiwi

The Antipodean

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 04:21:15 am »

Kiwi, BP has said on US tv that they are trying everything to stop the leak, but you may be correct that they aren't worried about stopping it, just recovering enough oil to cover the costs of the press circus.

kiwi

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 07:08:52 am »

Hi Antipodean,
The excuses that have been offered just don't ring true with the bop.
I worked in the oil industry back in the seventies, and to be that slack would see you on shore damn quick.
So just my take on the whole thing.
cheers
kiwi

RaaArtyGunner

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2010, 07:27:26 am »

Whilst not following this avidly am inclined to agree with Kiwi's observation that BP is not focused >>:-(  on stopping the leak it has been "reluctantly dragged" to implement containment.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2010, 08:28:46 pm »

I would not like to be the person writing the cheques at BP.

BP should have also learned from Piper Alpha (ok it was occidental who owned that rig).  seems to me that BP dont really care
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Nordsee

« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2010, 04:24:14 pm »

As an afterthought, it has been reported today, that a ship has hit, and broken a capped Well, causing a constant stream, indeed a fountain of Crude into the Bay. No one has admitted hitting said Well with their Boat,and it must have been a big boat to have done the damage,  even a Yank should notice that? Well I would have thought so! How long has it been spraying? Also no one has said, maybe all the oil on the beaches is not from BPs Well?But that wouldn't fit the Image , must blame everything on Wicked BP. Greenpeace have once again displayed how childish they are, Do they really think that causing 50 Petrol Station owners to lose a days Income will achieve something! If I had been a Station Manager that fence would have had the attention of an Angle Grinder , also any one on the Forecourt erecting signs or Posters would get a Summons for Criminal Damage. Don't the Police react to something like that? Or is that a silly question?

pugwash04

« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2010, 05:44:55 pm »

Hi,
    I might be wrong but once again I can see the American sue culture in force, don't concern yourself with the 11 men who died or the injured, just how much money can I get !!!. Those responsible should and must be brought to account but lets make sure it's the right people and not just a scape goat !!!!, I believe the drilling rig was American owned and run ?, who was responsible for safe practices on the rig ? so why keep blaming BP ?, the enviro effect is bad but what about the the Exon Valdes or Bopal in India (not sure if the if the spelling is correct) , both companies concered were US owned but as the fallout didn't effect the US directly they were rather quiet. SORRY if my views don't agree with everyone but every argument has several sides

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 06:12:34 pm »

A ship hitting a capped well......well I never.
For those of us who go down to the sea in ships (or used to), specifically the North Sea. The standard Admiralty Charts have a little symbol on them denoting a capped well-head. The North Sea is in general a fairly shallow stretch of water, particulaly in the middle and southern sections. Many capped wells are in this area. Ships of perhaps 60ft draught regularly tromp up and down these waters. As far as I know no well head has yet been decapitated by a pasing ship. From this, I can only assume that whoever laid out a course either ignored the info on the chart or didn't understand its relevance.
This incident (if true) really does open up the old arguments about "competence". Any competent bridge watchkeeper can tell hair raising stories about large ships charging about in places where they shouldn't have been in in the first place. BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »

As an afterthought, it has been reported today, that a ship has hit, and broken a capped Well, causing a constant stream, indeed a fountain of Crude into the Bay. No one has admitted hitting said Well with their Boat,and it must have been a big boat to have done the damage,  even a Yank should notice that? Well I would have thought so! How long has it been spraying? Also no one has said, maybe all the oil on the beaches is not from BPs Well?But that wouldn't fit the Image , must blame everything on Wicked BP. Greenpeace have once again displayed how childish they are, Do they really think that causing 50 Petrol Station owners to lose a days Income will achieve something! If I had been a Station Manager that fence would have had the attention of an Angle Grinder , also any one on the Forecourt erecting signs or Posters would get a Summons for Criminal Damage. Don't the Police react to something like that? Or is that a silly question?

Given the depth of water in that area did your (un-named) source indicate how the (un-named) vessel manged to contact the capped wellhead?

Barry M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2010, 09:02:14 pm »

If it's in water shallow enough to be hit by a vessel then it's a long way from the Horizon's location.

Barry M

Nordsee

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »

I assume he is referring to this: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/07/28/louisiana.barataria.bay.leak/#fbid=qtm8yb_EHgH
Yup, thats the one, most be in very shallow water then, no Warning buoys?

BarryM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2010, 04:26:34 pm »

and not plugged/capped very weel, either.

Barry M

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 11:18:13 pm »

Maybe some might find this interesting...

polaris

• Shipmate
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 11:32:13 pm »

Maybe a bit of fact might help.

polaris

• Shipmate
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.