Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I,m a member of the Galactic Knights Costuming Club and The Air Cadets  (Read 9487 times)

PMK

Hey, Welshtrooper,
Have you considered sticking one of those visible green lasers inside those blasters? Would it be allowed, even?

Welshtrooper

He he nice one PMK, you can however get the electronics to put inside the blasters to give lights and sounds, but they cost a bit but do give the blaster that bit more of a realistic edge. My blaster as it stands is worth about £150, but with the electronics it pushes it towards the £300-£400 mark. I cannot put them in this blaster as it was a prototype for me, but I am looking into building a few more, possibly with the electronics in them.

PMK

£400?? Phew! You're a dedicated fella, I'll say that much.

So where do you get the electronics from? Is it some sort of special kit dedicated to the purpose? Or is it not possible to knock-up some homemade circuits for flashing lights and whizz-bang zappy sounds?
Or is there more to it than that?
By the by, I wasn't kidding about the laser. You'd be surprised by just how visible the beam is - especially the green and blue ones. Dirt cheap, too. You can buy a 5-milliwatt green laser diode these days for something like five ~ ten pounds. One of those should be dead easy to fit inside your blaster. And if your mate had a dirt-cheap photo diode or two strapped around strategic parts of his body, could be made to trigger some sort of "I've been hit" alarm. The whole caboodle would probably cost no more than a few beers.

These are just thoughts. Pardon me if I'm waffling.

Welshtrooper

Well I could put one in but I wouldnt be able to use that one for trooping as the lasers are not allowed on troops for safety purposes, the normal thing for the blaster flash efect is either a very bright ordinary LED or a Luxeon LED which is almost as bright as a laser but much safer. The electronics for the blaster can be bought ready made for around £130 not including the LEDs for the barrel and flash and main flash LED at the muzzle, this gives a veriety of sounds and settings for the different blaster effects. With this installed the cost to anyone buying the blaster goes up because of the fitting out involved. You can make a basic sound and light card but you need a specific chip to program the sounds into then add a 555 timer and decade counter for the light effects, but you need a bit of electronics knowledge to work out the nitty gritty of the circuit.

bbdave

Bet that lots warm i used to do war of the roses re-enactment and a couple of hours in plate knocking each other about was no joke must have drank gallons, i moved onto ww2 after that the comfort of cotton!

i remember seeing the storm troopers with modified mg34s german webbing etc in fact all the empire uniforms were very german esk. a full harness is cheap though at around £500 as a full gothic harness would be about the £10000 mark depending who makes it are there any trade shows for this type of stuff not seen them at any re-enactment markets.

Welshtrooper

Hmm wouldnt know there Dave, most of the stuff our sand troopers have are either modified or self made, there are one or two MP40 clip pouches hanging around on Ebay from time to time, these are what they use or modify, as for the back packs they are made from the same bits and bobs that the original Star Wars props were made from. You are correct on the MG34 it is the base for the Heavy Blaster, but the Light Repeating Blaster (the Big Gun) is a British Lewis Machine Gun.

bbdave

Where can i get a good Biker scout helmet would like to add one to my medieval ww2 and nam collection

Dave

Welshtrooper

Hmm dont know off hand Dave but I can ask some of my GK friends and find out.

jonny shoreboy

Re: I,m a member of the Galactic Knights Costuming Club and The Air Cadets
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »

@Welshtrooper:

Love the costumes mate, and love your work! Must be a lot of fun going to events and stuff. I imagine you get a lot of camera action! By the way I live a short drive away from this shop and although you probably know all about it I though others on here might enjoy a look around!!

http://www.jedi-robe.com/home.html

Number 6

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2010, 07:03:17 pm »

Don't under estimate the power of the Dark Side of The Force.... I'd love full Stormtrooper uniform but bit too pricey for me, some attended at Crewe Militaria this year, very impressive. Couple of Stormtroopers, Sandtrooper, Jango Fett, Imperial Officer and a Darth Vader...scared me. Just so long as don't turn out like this guy... :-))

garston1

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2010, 09:34:00 pm »

May the Farce be with you! :}
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.