Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any good suggestion for (Scale speed) Tug use ESC ??  (Read 4139 times)

Jackyfatcat

Any good suggestion for (Scale speed) Tug use ESC ??
« on: May 10, 2010, 05:52:42 pm »

Dear All, currently I'm using Novak ESC "Super Rooster" for my 36'' Tug Boat. My Application: 7.2V 4000Mah Ni-cd, motor 550 size with Robber 5:1 gear box, copper Propeller 3 Blade size 2 1/4 inch. I can play more than 3-4 hrs journey (estimate 4KM distance). Now I'm found out as subject ESC is already discon.  <:( I don't know what to do if the ESC break down. As I know Novak have another similar ESC model (Super Duty), no matter the spec is higher than current version. But, this model have a built in problem "Forward to Backward.....few second Delay", in order to protect circuit somehow....  :o Hoped anyone can teach me what to do with it, any good UK ESC suggestion ! Many thanks!  :-))   

Hoped u enjoy my little boat.

tbone

Re: Any good suggestion for (Scale speed) Tug use ESC ??
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 07:35:47 pm »

The delay from forward to reverse is the brakes coming on; this esc was designed for cars/trucks.  You may be able to disable the brakes.

Jackyfatcat

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:02:47 am »

Thanks for your advise. But, as subject ESC can't be disable from the Radio control set. As you said the ESC original for Car model, the delay system is design for protect circult. That's why it is very difficult for me to get the better one. On the other hand, as subject ESC is very very save energy & the temp not even warm at all , gave me a long run on my model. 

Best regards! :-))

FullLeatherJacket

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 08:33:58 am »

http://www.action-electronics.co.uk/pdfs/P80.pdf
I've always wanted to sell some electronics to China!!
Seriously, this will do the job. It has equal power forward and reverse; autoset neutral (no flashing lights or buttons) and will handle 20A continuous current. It doesn't have BEC but that's not a big problem.
PM me for further details if you like.
FLJ

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
  • Very passionate about ships
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:42:05 am »

Robbe also has some very good ESC's.
The ESC's of the Rookie and Rocar series are well equipped to protect it against loss of connection from the transmitter, too much amps and some more useful safety measurement.
I've been using these kind of ESC's for quite some time now, and never had te replace them due to failure.
I'm using fuses of 10amp's more then the ESC can handle as it's own protection works great.
They give much value for money.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.
A day without learning is a lost day

barryfoote

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:36:42 am »

You cannot buy better than ACTion Electronics gear. Superb quality and good prices. They will certainly sort you out. I have one of their P94's in my 35 inch tug and it does the job superbly..

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:08:45 am »

I'm using fuses of 10amp's more then the ESC can handle as it's own protection works great.

Greetings Josse
Why would anyone use fuses 10amp more than the ESC can handle ?
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 09:58:31 am »

Esc's can sometimes short out when they blow. Happened to a Mtronicks one I had when I fouled on some weeds - shorted out the battery wires and started a fire.

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 11:35:31 am »

The fuse is to protect against short circuit only.
The protection against to high amps works fine, never had any problems with it at all.
Therefore a fuse wouldn't be needed.

Greetings Josse
Under construction: diving support vessel Well Enhancer scale 1:75, a very big and very ambitious project that keeps on going and going till I finally solve all ambitious things about it and have it working.

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 02:24:59 pm »

The protection against to high amps works fine, never had any problems with it at all.
Therefore a fuse wouldn't be needed.

Greetings Josse
Not till it happens the first time.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

tweety777

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 03:09:38 pm »

That's true, but the protection has proved that it works pretty good very many times, and has saved me quite a lot of fuses.
Besides that, if a fuse burns you'll loose power for the propulsion, while the build-in protection only has to be reset by releasing the throttle, wait a few seconds, and hit the throttle gently again.
Therefore the model can free itself of whatever caused the engine to start consuming that much power.

Greetings Josse
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 22 queries.