Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Old kit! Waxholm I  (Read 11871 times)

hama

Old kit! Waxholm I
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:50:16 pm »

Hey, look what I found on the net. An old kit that was sold here in Sweden during the -60´s I believe. A model of an old passenger steamer from the very same company that I work for today. The original is gone but these kits pop up now and then on the net, this was more or less intact and in good order. Got it for about 40 pounds so I'm very pleased. I'll see if I can put it together some day.
All the best!
Hama.

kiwi

Re: Old kit! Waxholm I
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 08:19:33 pm »

Hi,
very nice find
kiwi

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:36:11 pm »

Looks like a very nice subject - a lot like the Billing "Bohuslan" though a slightly smaller vessel. I've never seen or heard of this kit before - presumably it was never sold/marketed outside Sweden.
The kit looks rather easier to build than the Billings one (which I bought last year, and am still trying to work out how to build and convert to R/C), though! What size/scale is it?

hama

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 10:03:41 pm »

Thanks guys!
Never thought about the scale.  %%  Just measured her and figured out that it's 1:60 more or less.
Please post pictures of the Bohuslän as you proceed, a fine vessel thats still alive and steam powered as well. When I think of it I believe you can still by the Bohuslän model here in Sweden but manufactured by another company, have to check that up.
Hama

rockets

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:13:18 pm »

Very nice kit Hama, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Rockets.

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 11:16:36 pm »

bloomin'ell hama, thats a well hidden gem :)
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Edward Pinniger

• Full Mayhemer
    • Plastic Ship Kit Previews
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:11:29 pm »

Thanks guys!
Never thought about the scale.  %%  Just measured her and figured out that it's 1:60 more or less.
Please post pictures of the Bohuslän as you proceed, a fine vessel thats still alive and steam powered as well. When I think of it I believe you can still by the Bohuslän model here in Sweden but manufactured by another company, have to check that up.
Hama

What size is your kit's hull, approximately?
I'm not planning on building the Bohuslan in the immediate future, unfortunately, in fact I've had thoughts about reselling it but am reluctant as it's such a nice subject. The problem is the design of the ship, combined with the kit's plank-on-bulkhead construction, makes it very hard to even fit the radio gear, let alone provide access to it for repair + maintenance! The rudder setup is particularly tricky, the only solution seems to be to put the servo in the wheelhouse with the rudder arm going across the top of the main canopy roof.
To make matters worse, most of the cabin + superstructure woodwork is made from brittle and coarse-grained mahogany sheet which will be very hard to cut to shape. And most of the paneling detail, like the deck planks, is just printed on (a common issue with Billings kits). I plan to (assuming I ever build the kit) replace most of this with thin mahogany-stained or veneered plywood.

I'd be interested to know more about the other Bohuslan kit you mention! Nothing about this turned up when I did a search for information on the ship a while back, but this is probably due to the relevant sites being in Swedish.

hama

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:03:15 pm »

Hello!
Length is about 61cm. This is a plastic hull and you lift off the whole upper deck so access is not a problem. The wood for the salons on the other hand is a nightmare, a soft kind of balsa thats very hard to cut and it splits and breaks all the time. I tried to paint it before cutting but there isn't much of a difference. Maybe I'll make a post of the build on the working vessel thread later on.

I found the Bohuslän kit, produced by a company called "BC-modell". It's not listed on their homepage but on the site of a hobbystore in Stockholm, www.wentzels.se look under "skeppsmodeller". It says "out of production until further notice", don't know what to expect. It might well be the same model that Billings used to produce.
All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 06:19:04 pm »

Hello!

I've made a little progress on this kit. I decided to convert it a little bit so that she will be built as she was later in her career. I made icebreaking bow and glassed the aft deck. On the bridge deck she will have the two deckhouses built together forming one large deckhouse.

All the best!
Hama

bbjs

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 10:16:20 am »

Hama

After Billing stopped it was made by now ceased BC Modell....
The good news is there's a new company picking up BC full line including the very beautiful SS Mariefred as well as having plans to
add new models like Norwegian paddler Skibladner :
http://www.atlastmodels.se/

Regarding Bohuslän there's a Swede who built one slightly upscaled (around 55", 1/30 AFAIR) some 20 years ago, still running.
If Im correct running it with a Saito triple. There's some nice pictures and info on the net, I'll dig around in my old links archive.

I must admit I'm jealous on Hamas Vaxholm I, been searching now & then for the last 35 years for a BNIB kit....
Was made in the mid 60s and I remember it from my childhoods hobby stores in central Stockholm.
Keep posting pictures with the progress !!

Cheers, Bjorn

hama

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 11:11:55 pm »

Hello Bjorn!
I guess we share the same language?
Thanks for the link, great find.
As for the W1 model, keep looking. I just made a random look at "Tradera" I think and got lucky. I've seen them a few times on e-auctions but they tend to become quite pricey. Lucky for me the seller was a true gentleman and didn't want to send it by mail as he "didn't want anybody buying it without seeing the state of it". I just had to go over there and collect at a fixed price, 500SEK.
I will post the progress but it will be slow as I'm building other things as well.
Good luck on your search!
Hama.

bbjs

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:37:26 am »

Hello Bjorn!
I guess we share the same language?

Yes, and with me living some 25 km NE Stockholm, I guess we're almost neighbours.
 :-))
Thanks for the link, great find.
As for the W1 model, keep looking. I just made a random look at "Tradera" I think and got lucky. I've seen them a few times on e-auctions but they tend to become quite pricey.

Yes in deed, TBH I've seen it three times, one incomplete badly built for about the same money you paid.
Two nicely built (Nautica shop & Nautica auction) but then more than ten times what you paid.....
I'll continue to monitor Blocket and Tradera, one day I may get lucky.

Seen your other build in here, so I understand you're busy (very nice btw) but when you do progress with W1
I'll be happy for an update !

Cheers, Bjorn

hama

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2010, 06:36:05 pm »

Hi again!
Some progress, started to build the upper parts together as well as built new parts for the extended salons. Dryfitted the lot to see how she will look.
All the best.
Hama.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 06:58:18 pm »

That's coming together Very Nicely!  :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

hama

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 07:42:05 pm »

Thanks Martin!
It's fun now when she's beginning to take shape. Hope to paint the hull soon.
Hama.

hama

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 09:29:42 am »

Some more progress. Used the rest of the pre-made railings I bought cheap for another boat some years ago. Ain't 100% correct but it works for me, glued a wood strip on top of it that I put varnish on. Top railing on the bridge was also switched to a wooden one. Managed to get the transfers for the company logo on the funnel, one of them had cracked and was in five pieces! After all they are some 40 years old. Next will be to put glazing on and glue the roof on. Soon time for bathtub tests I think.
All the best!
Hama.

Peterm

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 12:03:03 pm »

Looking good!   Pete M
I`m not just old, I`m ancient

hama

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2010, 06:56:34 pm »

Thanks Pete!
Started on the lifeboats today. Also realized that I shall raise the waterline a bit, especially in the stern, after checking with pictures I have.
All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 09:12:46 pm »

Update!
More or less done, there are some more details to ad and some touchups here and there. But, bathtub tests done with good result so next thing will be sea trials the next days. Had to change motor as the 6V 280 motor made her a racing boat, found a "flat" small mabuchi motor that seems OK. Time will tell.
All the best!
Hama.

hama

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2010, 01:55:11 pm »

Hi!
Maiden voyage accomplished with success, only thing I forgot the camera so I had to use the phone instead. Speed was OK, still a little too fast but nothing to dramatic. Funny as the motor is barely visible in the hull as it's so small. She ran completely silent, something I hoped for as she's supposed to be a steamer. No water what so ever in the hull. Perhaps I will test to run the bigger motor on 3V just to compare, don't know.
All the best!
Hama.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2010, 02:11:50 pm »

Looks great Hama, what a lucky find. Now for some little passengers perhaps ?  Smoke would be great too but tricky. A Good model, well done.
..well can you land on this?

hama

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2010, 02:56:46 pm »

Thank you for your kind words!
You're absolutely right in both suggestions. There should definitely be some passengers on deck, is there any in about 1:60? Smoke would be great, I have some ballast to play with so it could be done. I have never had a smoke generator before, I'll think of that.
All the best!
Hama.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2010, 06:54:25 pm »

She is truly beautiful. Well found, well done and thank you for showing her to us.
Toby.

Arrow5

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2010, 07:17:37 pm »

Model raiway figures ?  OO  1/76th ?  The "Noch" brand is extensive but seem to be  only in HO 1/87th.  Worth a look at them to see the variety of people.
..well can you land on this?

hama

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2010, 09:13:23 pm »

Thanks Toby, really appreciate it!

Arrow5, I'll check that out, thanks for the tip. There is a model railway shop in town that I pass sometimes, guess I'll have to go inside next time.
All the best!
Hama
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 23 queries.