Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Parking your ship and other costs  (Read 1973 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Parking your ship and other costs
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:23:58 pm »

I came across this document on another site which sets out the charges for visiting Portsmouth. It gives an interesting insight on what ferry and cruise ship operators have to pay for parking their vessels amd the associated charges.

http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/library/pdfs/from-old-site/dues-rates-charges-2009.pdf

Colin

TugCowboy

Re: Parking your ship and other costs
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:26 am »

Its actually a lot cheaper than I expected!

I pay £2,400 a year for a 17 foot speedboat at a marina thats just given all its parking over to a residential development! Reckon I might give Portsmouth a call ;)

Alex

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:54:56 pm »

I think those charges apply to commercial vessels. The recreational craft in the harbour are all in the private marinas with hefty rates or on tidal moorings with limited access. Two years ago I was paying £1,200 pa for my 20ft yacht in one of the innermost recesses of Chichester Harbour with access of around 1 hour each side of high water only and about an hour's motoring to the harbour entrance. Berths with 24 hour access and close to open water command much higher rates!

Colin

hopeitfloats

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:18:07 pm »

thats a bit scarey. you would need to time your leaving and returning times to the minute.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:23:49 pm »

thats a bit scarey. you would need to time your leaving and returning times to the minute.

It's not as bad as that. You leave as soon as the boat floats off and return on the rising tide so if there isn't quite enough water to get in you just wait half an hour or so until there is. The whole harbour doesn't dry out, there are deep water channels once you can get a quarter of a mile or so out of the berth. You just have to accept when leaving that you are plugging the tide all the way down to the harbour entrance but after that the tidal flows mean that you can pick up the ebb outside. Time it right and you can have a favourable tide from Chichester Entrance right the way down to Yarmouth, it's just like a magic carpet and pretty much doubles your speed over the ground as you pass Cowes. Of course, run out of tide or have a foul one and everything gets very tedious.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.