Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mantua Bruma Build Log  (Read 4091 times)

Jeremy

Mantua Bruma Build Log
« on: May 13, 2010, 01:53:12 pm »

As a newcomer to model boats and having chosen the Billings Nordkap kit as the place to start, I found the advice and experience in various build logs extremely helpful. With Nordkap now finished and wanting to remain with plank on frame kits, I decided to have a go at the Mantua Bruma.  My hope in starting my own build log is that it will attract advice and comment along the way, not only helpful to me but also to others who may have chosen to invest in this elegant kit. So here goes:

Two weeks in and the hull framework is completed, the motors and RC trial installed and planking of the deck now underway.

Mantua provide a motor kit with one motor driving both props but it is very expensive and the gear drive is apparently noisy. For a lower cost, and based on recommendations, I have opted for two 385 motors and 35mm 3 bladed props, one RH and one LH.

I waterproofed the hull frame, deck underside and motor/RC mountings with diluted aliphatic glue. Remembering the amount of epoxy resin I coated the inside of Nordkap with, I hope this will be enough. It may depend on whether my planking skills have improved to the point that the hull does not leak.

Since Nordkap where I used model railway track pins to secure the planks whilst drying, I have come across the Miskin plank on frame clamps. Incredibly expensive though they are (£9.95 for 10), they may prove to be worth their weight in gold. When it comes to planking the hull, they should hold the plank firmly onto the frames much better than pins.

Looking ahead to planking the hull, I aleady have a question. Should I butt up the planks against the side of the keel at the prow end or run them over the keel to meet in front. If fitted against the side of the keel, do I have to leave space for the second planking to butt in front of the first or does this then over lap the keel? I haven't explained this very well but someone may understand me!

Well that's it for now. Back to planking the deck.

des321

Re: Mantua Bruma Build Log
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 06:42:57 pm »

Hi Jeremy,
Looks like you made a good start. Shame you weren't at Black Park today, I took my Bruma. Sailing conditions were just right. I have attached a photo of the bow of mine which may be of some help.
Des

Jeremy

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 06:50:48 pm »

Hi Des

Sorry I missed you today.  If you could send me a message or e-mail next time you plan to go with Bruma, I will try to get there.  Thanks for the photo of your bow.  However, I am still not clear exactly where to butt the planks against the keel, particularly as there are two layers.  Is the sharp end of the bow achieved by filing the square cross section of the keel at the front or do the planks overlap the front?  I would welcome your advice.

Jeremy

des321

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 06:04:18 pm »

I overlapped the planks, alternating from each side every two planks. I recall the bow was quite straight forward. It is the stern where you will have more fun!

Jeremy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:58:06 pm »

A week down the track and the deck planking is complete.  Planks meet more or less OK at the bow end - not quite so good at the stern.  Final sanding and two coats of sanding sealer still to do.  Now for the hard part, planking the hull. <:(

des321

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:23:36 pm »

Well done Jeremy! You are doing fine, and with some speed. The key to planking the hull is to let the planks go where they are inclined. Do not be tempted to twist or bend where they don't want to go! Cutting fillets to fill gaps at the bow and stern is relatively easy. When the first layer is finished sand to a good smooth contour all over (adding filler if necessary) before starting the second layer. You will then find the second layer a lot easier.
Des

Jeremy

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 01:53:03 pm »

First planking underway - it's slow work! The balsa strips are brittle and, even with the Mantua curving tool, some have cracked at the stern. I will need filler over planks 2 and 3 working from the deck down to restore the required curve. The deck was sprayed with Humbrol acrylic varnish after sanding sealer had been applied. There are indentations where the clamps gripped too hard but I will have to live with these.

Jeremy

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 08:37:45 pm »

Still planking....I decided to work up from the keel as well as down from the deck - not as per the instructions but it seems to me easier if you have a steadily reducing gap to fill. We shall see. The stern end presents a real challenge. I have been advised to let the planks decide where they want to fall. Prop shafts now in place and there is room for the propellor.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 20 queries.