Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Member - Tall Paul  (Read 1854 times)

Tall Paul

New Member - Tall Paul
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:56:36 pm »

Hi All,

Built my first boat; a sea scout in 1958, that ages me.

Have only just built my second quite recently - a skimmer using the free plan from Model Boat magazine Sep 2007.

I know have second hand RAF 43" Launch and a sea scout which bought back happy memories of cycling to Hampsted Heath Pond as a boy.
There was allways an assortment of boats, sailing, solid fuel rocket boats, and of course IC ones (noise, speed and excitement for a boy).

Have just had a 12' X 7' shed built and am now thinking of insulating it, although I will not be in there often during the winter I may be doing a few hours wood working etc. Some people have suggested foam, Kingspan blocks, double sided bubble wrap, glass fibre (as used in loft floors), membranes between out and inner sides of thermal material and then 12 mm plywood which would support shelving supports etc.

I like the sound of the 12 mm plywood for screwing shelving etc but not sure any thermal blocks etc are needed;

cover floor with carpet tiles ?

any body just uses their shed as it comes ?

Many thanks,

Paul.

Tall Paul

Re: New Member - Tall Paul
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:58:10 pm »

oops forgot to mention

I live in Camberley and use the Guilkdford Stoke Park Model Boating Pond next to Guildford Tech College Sunday mornings.

Roger in France

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:10:22 pm »

Good luck with the shed.

Yes, the subject of insulation has been well covered before. If you are going for an inner skin you will need to mount it on battens so filling the space between the battens and the outer wall and cladding makes a good deal of sense. Mice like to burrow in foam! I recommend glass fibre matting. I think ply is great but expensive. Take a look at some dense fibre board or block board.

For the floor you definitely need insulation. I would suggest removable wooden decking, the kind you can buy in DIY stores and garden centres rather like large tiles. Or make your own, they used to be called "duck boards". Whatever you use ensure it is non-slip. I use them just in the walking and standing areas and do not cover under benches, machines, cupboards etc.

Don't forget to insulate the roof as much of your heat is lost there.

Do ensure you have good air circulation to avoid condensation and mould. In the winter some form of constant low level heating will make the shed dry and warmer so that it will only need topping up when you are working.

Roger in France.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:43:49 pm »

I use my shed as it comes with a small gas heater on my feet during the winter, ALthiiough it would be nice to lag it out properly. The main problem during the winter is getting the glues to go off, it takes time when the temp is low!!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

DickyD

• Full Mayhemer
  • www.srcmbc.org.uk
    • SRCMBC
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:55:37 pm »

Hi Paul
Welcome to the forum.
Was the pond on Hampstead Heath the Whitestone Pond ?
I spent my mispelt youth falling in there back in the 1950's.
Richard Solent Radio Controlled Model Boat Club http://www.srcmbc.org.uk

vintagent

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »

I had a 7'x5' shed which I lined with cheap polystyrene foam board, then with 6mm ply sheet, marking the framework on it before fixing so that I knew where to screw the shelf brackets. 
I then laid corrugated cardboard (opened up boxes) on the floor and put down cheapo carpet on top.
For heat I used a 60Watt tubular heater under the bench which kept me toasty all Winter.
This and Radio 4 with occasional prog rock CDs made it difficult for my family to get me in the house!

I had that shed in that form without any problems till we left the house several years later, when the new guy realised its suitability and kept it, although he ripped down nearly everything else!

Regards,
Vintagent

daz

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 12:46:44 pm »

Hi.
     I am lucky because the car will not fit in the garage i have turn it into the boat work shop,
 not that much work gets done {-) {-)  when you work silly hours and have a Young family.

All the Best with the Shed

Best Regards
Daz
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 23 queries.