Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good neighbours.  (Read 1556 times)

The Antipodean

Good neighbours.
« on: May 16, 2010, 07:51:53 pm »

After many years of living in America and having neighbours that really scare the crap out of me I finally met the guy from over the road.
I don't have a workshop so when I am working on my projects they are normally on the front lawn as the back yard is a little overgrown and full of snakes.
My over the road neighbour comes wandering across and is very curious about what I am doing, the planking on a Plaudit hull, seemed to pique his interest a little so I grabbed my almost finished tug I have indoors to show him roughly how they turn out.
Didn't think too much of it until he comes wandering back across the road carrying two pieces of oak under his arm. He had made me a pair of bases for the two boats I am working on currently, beautifully made with beveled edges and sanded to a glassy finish,and then offered me a pile of oak and gave me a 20litre bucket of cabinet making adhesive. Turns out that he was very impressed with my work and had previously worked at a cabinet making factory and had a mountain of culls and buckets of glue.
Seems that if I need anything he will gladly either provide it for me or let me use his workshop to get it done.
After 10 years in America I finally met a great neighbour, it seems they still exist.
Sad thing is that now I have met this guy I am moving to a new house as I have got a job as a caretaker at a gated community. I have no neighbours there but it does come with a great test pond for my boats. I just have to keep it clean and test the pH levels daily.
It is good to know that there is still good people out there that will do something for anybody and that they want nothing in return.

PMK

Re: Good neighbours.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 09:25:30 pm »

Neat tale!
Just one question (because I'm curious/nosey)... Why did your neighbour scare the c--- out of you in the first place? He sounds like a cool dude, so what did he do that spooked you so?
Wehavetoknowthesethings.

Good luck in your new job, btw.

The Antipodean

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 04:16:22 am »

It wasn't the guy from over the road that scared me. I have lived in 4 different houses since I have been here and I don't know if you are familiar with the movie Deliverance but a lot of my neighbours have been very similar to the bib overall wearing Bubbas that were in that movie, you don't make eye contact and you make sure you don't play any music other than the two main types, Country and Western.
I have had police in my drive at 3am as they take out the Meth lab next door and heard shootings down the road. Things are a little calmer now as we have moved but the neighbours down the hill turn their backs on you if you look in their direction and the ones up the hill play their sound systems so loud you can't hear your TV in your front room. The guy over the road has always kept to himself, always waved as he drove by, we just never had any reason to talk to each other. Turns out we have a lot in common and he is a really great guy.

tobyker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 11:59:02 pm »

The best people to live next door to are successful dealers in stolen property, As the poem says, "good fences make good neighbours."

Harbottle

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:52:30 pm »

Never mind the Bubbas ... I don't like the sound of those snakes!

The Antipodean

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 11:35:27 pm »

The best people to live next door to are successful dealers in stolen property, As the poem says, "good fences make good neighbours."

Now that made me laugh  out loud, the missus too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.