Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another new member . . .  (Read 1813 times)

Fenlander

Another new member . . .
« on: May 15, 2010, 05:35:45 pm »

I'm not really a modeller, but I found this forum by chance when I was searching for information on the steam bending of wood for modelling purposes; I haven't discovered too much new stuff on that subject — but instead, a goldmine of other extremely interesting things.

My intention is to build the hull model, at least, of a wooden fishing vessel, about 40' long, full size; it will be a static model scaled to no more than 25" in length, because I'm interested in the design and construction of working boats of this type that were built around the British coast — and that size suits me best as my workshop has very little working space left.  Building an accurate look-a-like model is not so important as long as it is dimensionally representative; it may never get finished — it's the actual process of creating the thing from my own drawings, and seeing it through to the build stage, that appeals to me. The plans I shall do myself: the hull shape will be started off on the drawing board, at the same scale as the model, then finished off using surface modelling software, and when I'm finally satisfied with the shape and form of it, co-ordinates will be taken from the 3D model and transferred to wood, and so on.

As far as possible I'd like to avoid buying wood if I can, as I have a stockpile of various bits and pieces of different woods, although no doubt I'll have to buy some. At the moment though, I'm still exploring this vast website!

Dave

vintagent

Re: Another new member . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 06:58:12 pm »

Fenlander, welcome to the forum from another Fendweller!
In fact I was in March only this afternoon at my son's house.

If you want any info or advice on modelmaking generally, please PM me as I'm a life long modelmaker and a professional (sometimes).
I'm also very interested in the kinds of boats you mention. I once rather grandly planned a collection of 1/4"-1ft. models of most of the inshore craft of Gt. Britain, mainly based on Edgar March's two volumes of that name.
Alas I have too many other interests as well and doing stuff for others left me short of time, but I have a little more now.

Regards,
Vintagent

Fenlander

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 03:28:27 pm »

Thanks for that Vintagent and BoatyBoat.

Vintagent, in one thread I looked at I see that you're another Catia user; it really is a powerful tool, I've used it since its very early days, in 1983.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 04:43:19 pm »

Welcome aboard.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

vintagent

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »

Fenlander, Hoho, CATIA is not a tool I use, but I did play with it when I was a clay modeller for the car industry.  I found it unbelievably long winded, but obviously those trained in it would speed up a bit.  Nonetheless, the Chief "Engineer" took two weeks to draw a revolving dashboard component with a flat screen in it on CATIA. Whereas I "designed the thing and built it in clay, then fibreglass and motoriised it all in a day.  I even had a special switch made and an escutcheon for that switch with car's logo engraved on it by a company here in Cambs.
all before the engineer even showed me his ideas!  he wasn't happy!l
But for designing the nitty gritty of a whole car it seems to be the industry norm.

Alias was the one I could easily learn and get used to.  A truly impressive programme.  Everything from Toy Story to the new Gold interior and it exports directly to 5 axis mills, SWTL, etc. too.

But I was told I was too old at 47 (then) so I twofingered the whole thing and took to the canals.
Never been back and don't even have a passport any more!

Regards,
Vintagent
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 23 queries.