Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boats Magazine Website  (Read 18502 times)

maninthestreet

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boats Magazine Website
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2006, 03:24:25 pm »

I've been away in America for a week - got back and tried to get to the modelboats forum to discover it was gone.
Desperately seeking a lifeboat to get my fix, I tried Modelboatmayhem, and found myself here.

mac.one

• Shipmate
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2006, 04:35:44 pm »

Hi Martin
? ? ? ? ? ? ?Many thanks for the new forum.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Regards Julian.? ;D? ;D? ;D

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2006, 05:18:41 pm »

Hi all,

Nice to see you're all here or getting here. Just got back from Dortmund (great show) was worried about the MB site which I had tried to access just before I left (oh oh gawd almighty Tuesday morning) and got the host page. MB (Encanta) must remember to put a shilling in the meter from time to time :)

Cheers

Doug

Martin,

well done (and so you should be) but you must learn to spell (type) sometime.  ;D See you soon.

Doug
Don't Assume Check

splodger

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2006, 06:59:22 pm »

I think the MB forum sudden disappearance was probably a non-payment issue, the old lot left a lot of unpaid bills apparently, I hope all the magazine contributors are getting what's due to them. Encanta only got very short notice and hope that they've rescued all the forum content, but don't seem too sure as yet. We've been promised a much improved new MB forum early next month, there are a few features on this one that are a definite improvement, but the MB one had been going for some time, so lets hope that the new version is as up to date as this one, don't know how much Martin is responsible for, but it's a very good effort, and I hope it doesn't fade away when the MB one reappears, something about rats leaving sinking ships & all that. Surely there's room for two good and active model boats forums?

Craig Kane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Once a model boater, always a model boater!
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2006, 07:01:06 pm »

Hi All,

Thought I was ging mad - no model boats website forum!!!

Good to see so many familiar names here.

Crisis averted.

CK

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2006, 07:26:45 pm »

with all the old faces logged here do we need the MB forum back. We now have something that is more user friendly and if we need another section adding it added. Mayhem has done a great job in setting up this forum and all of the things that make it so easy to use. How much hassle did we have posting photos on the old forum now click of the additional options and way we go.

Personally MB has to go a long way to improve on what we have here

Marc
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 08:29:40 pm »

I think you are right Riggers, setting up this Forum does away with the need for Encanta to set up their own. I don't think many people would really want two forums which duplicate each other, life's too short. Also, as Dave Leishman says, there are advantages in having an independent Forum which is not hosted by Hobby commercial interests. The enthusiasm for this site, 179 members since Saturday, suggests it now has a momentum all of its own and is likely to stay that way. As I have said in a previous post, there is no reason at all why the new MB site cannot have a link to this one so everyone can be happy. Encanta can use the time saved in setting up a new Forum to review the format of the ME Exhibition, now that WOULD be time well spent!

ron h

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 11:24:25 pm »

I have to say as a new person on this forum ,I like the ease and the way you can post pictures, I am a moderator on an american site, and have done 2 large build subjects taking 4 years, posted over 800 pictures, but to put them up straight from your computer is a very good idea, ron h

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2006, 04:19:32 pm »

Its a bit of a pain that modelboats has disappeared!!

I had a number of PM's that had valuable info on them.  I think I downloaded the page but can't remember if I actually did.  Will check tonight at home. 

I actually though it was my ISP at work buggering about with DNS settings.  If anyone knows of C2k in N. Ireland, they would understand what I mean but alas, when I tried it at home, I got the same globalgold website so C2k are off the hook on this one.  Can't blame them for everything..  well, most things I can!!

Ah well, hopefully my brain is correct and I did download the info.

Declan

riggers24

• Full Mayhemer
  • Just full of stupid questions
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2006, 06:22:55 pm »

I know its a pain, I lost info I had been sent but as word gets around there is a bigger and better forum all the lads and lasses who where on MB will be back. As for the lost info try everyone on here, ask and you get the answer you are looking for.
I will finish the crash tender someday - Still got tooo many toys to play with

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2006, 07:36:46 pm »

Ahh.. Brain was in gear. I did save the PM's to computer so I have the necessary bits and pieces to reflect on.

Its a very interesting site here. Especially the Mersey Lifeboat.  I hope to build a 12th scale version.  Its a long sad story but I was once a crew member on the Mersey and D-Class at our local station. In saying that, I still deal with them professionally as I am now back in with the local Coastguard team .

Fortunately, some of the chaps at other stations (and Poole) are providing me in with pictures and details of sections of the Mersey.

Declan

gribeauval

• Full Mayhemer
  • Tidy Bench -Tidy Mind, Messy Bench - BUSY!!
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2006, 08:30:42 pm »

Ahh.. Brain was in gear. I did save the PM's to computer so I have the necessary bits and pieces to reflect on.

Its a very interesting site here. Especially the Mersey Lifeboat.? I hope to build a 12th scale version.? Its a long sad story but I was once a crew member on the Mersey and D-Class at our local station. In saying that, I still deal with them professionally as I am now back in with the local Coastguard team .

Fortunately, some of the chaps at other stations (and Poole) are providing me in with pictures and details of sections of the Mersey.

Declan

Hi Declan, if there are any pictures of the mersey parts that you need then let me know as I have pictures of just about all of the Scarborough Mersey!!!

Mike
True Lifeboat Nutter!!

dpbarry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2006, 08:45:00 pm »

Cheers Mike.

Thanks for that. You may be called on at some stage. Mind you, my other sources have provided me with may pictures so the more the merrier.  I'm going to grit my teeth soon and ask the mechanic if I can call in some time and take pictures with the digital camera.  He owes me one as I sorted out the Fuel sheet for him that I created in excel when I was a crew member.

I'll arm myself with a 128mb & 64mb digital camera card.  ;)

Declan

HAWK

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2006, 08:52:17 pm »

Hi guys,
Thought I might find you all here,look forward to taking up where we left off !!
                                   Regards
                                     Hawk

Colin H

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2006, 10:55:38 pm »

Hi Chaps,

My two penny worth for what it is worth. Model Boats forum was all of you as members and very little to do with the magazine.

As Martin has gone to the time and trouble to set this up for us I for one shall stay here as my main forum. I know the names though have never met the people and I know the knowledge to be had from them.

Now we only need Fred to join Jorg and we shall also have our share of lunacy ;D ;D ;D ;D.

SWMBO is also very happy about the new forum she was starting to complain about me being under her feet.

Yours Colin H.
do every thing today tomorrow may not arrive.

big-geoff

• Full Mayhemer
  • Whats that button for?
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2006, 09:08:47 pm »

What happend?

I go away for a while and everybody buggers of and leaves, wasit summit I said?

I am glad I found this site, I was getting close to having to build sumit.

Good to see you all....

BlazingPenguin

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2006, 10:09:19 pm »

Hi Jan,
Has that idiot finished your Puffer yet ???

Dont say this about Mayhem ?;D ;D

Hes a great man but he has no clue about the time ?;)

There may be a problem with importing data as Model Boats will claim that as their copyright but we would love to get it back if possible!

Martin.
PS. Jan, Do you know much about forums? How do I get a spell checker working?

The copyright... i forgot.

I have the biggest Forum about RC-Controlleed Trucks but no clue about such funny things like a spell checker. ?
Martin I clicked on the menu bar tol left and the forum came up in 'Word' format for some reason...spell checkers there, but dont know how that goes with regard to the Moderator chappie spellchecking!

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2006, 03:02:00 pm »

I would however hate to see the vast amount of knowledge on the old site lost. If it can be recovered then it needs to be edited
to sort out the wheat from the chaff (literally!) and ideally hosted on this site as archive files. I don't see why copyright should be an issue as the views of the people posting are their own and Model Boats (old or new owners) have no intellectual ownership over the material. In theory there is nothing to stop us reposting all the material here - if only we could remember it all.....

The knowledge is still there - it just needs someone to ask the questions again, then they can be answered and the information will re-appear.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

splodger

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2006, 07:45:39 pm »

I think much of what Malcolm says is a bit irrelevant. The new owners of Model Boats seem to be an improvement on the old lot, though one or two aspects of the takeover do seem to be ever so slightly murky. They say that the MB website is going to be relaunched in much improved form within the next few weeks, and if they were able to retrieve the content from the old site, then they are going to include it all in MB forum Mk 2. They certainly aren't going to let anyone else use it, it will be their biggest selling point. Editing would be a good thing, there was plenty of rubbish on the old MB site as well as good stuff, but who would want to go through all that stuff deciding what to chuck out, especially if they already have a magazine to edit? As MF says, there's nothing preventing anyone from repeating on Mayhem anything they may already have put on the MB site, but whose memory is that good? Also, possession is nine points of the law, and I can't see Encanta ever letting go of anything they've got left over from MB Mk1. We're on our own here, making this forum a success is entirely up to the members, and Martin of course. So let's all try to think before posting, no abuse of fellow members, and keep most of it useful and (fairly) sensible.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2006, 10:18:08 pm »

Splodger, do enlighten me on one thing. Your Avatar - is it your Mummy?

Dave Leishman

« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2006, 10:50:05 pm »

One of the problems is that the old MB forums were positively antique compared to modern forum packages (these SMF forums being a case in point). Even if the old data has been saved it leaves MB with a problem.

Reinstall the old forum software, if it can still be found, or install modern software and hope that there's a good import script to get the old stuff into the new.

Personally I wouldn't hold out any hope of the new MB forums containing the old posts, as I very much doubt the old forum software is still available (and no-one in their right mind would create a shiny new website and install antique forum software), and it may be too much work and effort to import.

I think we'll either end up with forums on MB and forums here, or MB may see sense and maybe sponsor Martin for the forums here. That way they still get their logo and name in prominent positions, but none of the overheads of running the forums.

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2006, 11:13:42 pm »

I think that this forum is now my main forum.
The info on the old MB site is held here anyway with the members we already have.
As Martin has gone to the time and effort to make a new forum a little bit of loyalty shouldnt go amiss.
The Forum is dead, Long Live the Forum!!!

Bob
Officially a GOG.

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2006, 11:22:58 pm »

Good point Dave, certainly makes sense IMHO.
Having thought about it I don't think it would matter that much at the end of the day. After all, if anybody needs help on a subject they only need to ask here and I am sure they will still get the help required. Questions are often repeated as topics get shifted deep down in the archives making it hard to find. Plus as new members join they will bring fresh ideas on an old theme. In a way this like having a good clear out of your garage or loft.
Lefthand down a bit..........

Cheers
Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2006, 11:34:40 pm »

In a way this like having a good clear out of your garage or loft.
quote]

Yes, but what a pile it makes on the driveway....  Freds everywhere!

Seriously, I think the momentum is now with this Forum, thanks to Martin's efforts.

Navigator

• Full Mayhemer
  • Everybody Down!
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2006, 06:40:35 am »

You can apply ointment, use a shovel, or get a skip depending on the type of piles your talking about  ;D
Ooops best be careful, don't want to upset anyone. I notice we already have somebody setting themselves up as forum fuzz :-X
Lefthand down a bit..........

Cheers
Dave
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.