Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Type VII U-Boat  (Read 12353 times)

dan

Another Type VII U-Boat
« on: May 18, 2010, 05:49:08 pm »

Look What was waiting for me when i got home from school, my very first sub hull. Measuring 81" by 8" at the widest point.

I plan on building this as a static dive sub, how ever i did consider dynamic diving, but would this be possible with such a large model, as i know it would bring the cost down a considerable amount.  I am a complete novice when it comes to building subs, so i am going to be asking quite a few questions, and i apologise if they sound stupid, and for my lack of terminology.

firstly, can you help me with what are the essential components i will need to get the sub on, and under the water statically - WTC, motors, speed controller, pumps + ballast tank, rudder and plane control, what am i missing?

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
Re: Another Type VII U-Boat
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:57:47 pm »

Thats about it, I would always add a pitch controller. I guess your going for a water pump system- sealed tank like Sheerline or internally vented like OTW?

dan

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:07:48 pm »

I guess your going for a water pump system- sealed tank like Sheerline or internally vented like OTW?

Hi Mankster,
i was planning on using a sealed tank, but what are the advantages of the different types?

Desi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 06:11:54 pm »

Hi,
My suggestion to you would be to meet up with a few guys who build and run submarines through a boat modelling club in your area.
Talk to them and you will learn a lot about systems/components they use etc.
The size of boat you have can easily be built as a static diver. You can build your WTC right into the boat, no problem.
Check out my Type 2D scratch build.
All the best
Desi
Toronto

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 06:19:35 pm »

I prefer the sealed tank, as you dont get condensation in the rest of the WTC on a warm day. The balast tanks has to be build to withstand the anticipated pressure though and you will need a pump that will pump against pressure.

Desi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 07:02:54 pm »

Mankster, just to clarify that my ballast tanks are built seperate to the WTC, are all made of polycabonate, and lie just ahead of the WTC and the COG of the boat, works really great when diving the boat. I have had my boat in 10-12ft of water no problem.

dan

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 07:11:34 pm »

could you recomend a pump i was thinking of one of the windscreen washers for cars from halfords, would these work?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:16 pm »

Your not bringing that in the car to Wicksteed are you, Dan?   %)

Seriously though, that a good piece of kit. Should keep you occupied over the summer eh !!!

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:53:43 pm »

Hi Dan, windscreen washer pumps are the impeller type, a very useful attribute and at a full 12volts will pump at 20-22 psi. In a sealed ballast tank system this will fill your tank to a level more than half of the tank volume. Sealed tank systems are exceedingly reliable and pretty foolproof if put together properly. One good aspect of this system is that you can't get the boat to submerge with a dwindling battery, the pump won't run fast enough to produce sufficient pressure to fill the tank so you know when it's time to pack up and go home! There is little to wear out with this system and it's pretty maintenence free so you will have little or no fidding at the pondside.
Remember,if you decide to go for it, ensure you make your ballast tank properly and of robust construction as at full pressure you will have 20 psi in there.
I would recommend to go for a static build every time, if you build it as a dynamic type you will have to ballast the boat down so heavily it will be decks awash  when surfaced and you won't see anything of it when surface running. You will also find you are running around with no option but full power when dived so it will limit your outings due to current drain. There's nothing quite like watching your boat surface and sit proudly out of the water as all the ballast drains out.
Lucky feller, nice big boat, lots of room to work inside, it'll look impressive when it's done and even more so when it's skimming along below the surface of a clear pond.
Good luck with your future project.

dan

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 10:58:12 pm »

Hi,
I would love to get a proper sealed ballest tank, but i can not afford £200 just for the container unfortunately  {:-{
but thanks for the information regarding the pumps, could you recommend a good enough pump for the job?

Thanks, Dan

dan

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 11:21:38 pm »

Your not bringing that in the car to Wicksteed are you, Dan?   %)

Seriously though, that a good piece of kit. Should keep you occupied over the summer eh !!!

Cheers

ken

unfortunatly for me, but lucky for you, i dont think it will even fit in your car ken  :-))

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 11:54:38 pm »

Hi,
I would love to get a proper sealed ballest tank, but i can not afford £200 just for the container unfortunately  {:-{
but thanks for the information regarding the pumps, could you recommend a good enough pump for the job?

Thanks, Dan

You only need some PVC pipe, sheet and adhesive to make a tank.

dan

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 07:16:12 am »

i already have some pipe, and i was going to make 2 end caps from resin with the help of a friend, and use a O ring on each cap to help keep it water tight, then i would have metal rods going from each endcap, with nuts on to add a little bit more pressure to keep it water tight.  :-))

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 10:27:25 am »

Hi Dan, Halfords, as you originallystated can supply the type of pump you require. Most car pumps are similar in output but make sure you get an impeller type and not the geared version.

dan

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 03:35:23 pm »

Hi Guys,
Ive had the pipe delivered today which ill be using for my WTC. before i start cutting it to different lengths i need to know a few things.
Will the Ballast tank need to be situated in the centre of the model, I'm assuming it does because if its too far forward or back, when filled the model would just lean in that direction, am i right?

Also, I'm going to be cutting all these little holes in the hull (sorry i don't know the name) now once the sub in under water all the holes are going to let water into the hull, now this will add weight to the model, so if i emptied the ballest tank to make the sub rise again, would all this extra water stop it from submerging? if so how do i prevent it.

finally, how much weight/water will it take to submerge a sub this size?

sorry for the stupid questions  :embarrassed:

Desi

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 04:18:57 pm »

Dan,

Flood holes are the little holes...

Basically all you have to worry about is displacing enough water from your ballast tank, to submerge or bring out of the water the casing  and corning tower of your submarine. All of the boat above the water line should be able to go under when you fill your ballast tank and when you pump the water out the boat rises out of the water till the waterline. The critical part is to take on just enough water in the ballast tank to achieve this... any more and your pump is having to push out more water, drains the battery quicker and it also takes the boat longer to achieve the waterline.

The flood holes help to vent the air trapped under the casing and inside the corning tower. All my boats have the hatch on the corning tower hinged, which releases a significant air bubble on every dive. I also have a hatch on the stern of the boat to get some more air out. Air will move towards the back end of the boat when you are diving the boat. I also drill a hole right at the end point of the boat to get the last of the air out. If you do not do this the trim of the boat will vary on every dive depending on how much air you have trapped uder the casing/corning tower...

All the best with your project.

Lloyd

dan

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 04:32:29 pm »

thanks for the information lloyd  :-))

dan

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 08:26:05 pm »

started to create the WTC today with a bit of help from tug-kenny. 2 will be used to house different electrical components, and the larger centre one will be used as the ballest tank. the next stage will be to make the end caps that will keep the water out. these will be cast in resin, i am currently working on a plug for them. tomorrow i plan on either making a start on the flood holes, or work on the conning tower, eitherway i plan on having a day dedicated to the sub... right after i get back from my lake if the sun is shining like it did today.

timsenecal

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:19 pm »

excuse my stupidity, but which manufacturer's kit is this?

thanks

Peewee

• Full Mayhemer
    • Paddleducks
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2010, 10:22:42 am »

As the holder of the Model for 18 years before Dan, i believe the following.

Hull is based on the 32nd Parallel moulds, conning tower from the US and the fittings made by Martin Hartshorn  who was based in Guilford.  6 Hulls were made initially though more could have been.  OTW took over the moulds at somepoint.

regards
Ian
Still sane? who knows who cares?

Deep Diver

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2010, 02:26:53 pm »

If it is one of Martins old hulls? they were made by one of Martins mates,also most of the work was done in Alf Blake's old shop, I have one in my loft & it has been there for the last 12 yrs just the hull and deck in 4 parts.

Peewee

• Full Mayhemer
    • Paddleducks
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2010, 03:49:27 pm »

It certainly is yes.  He was supposed to produce an etched deck that never materialised.  <*<  but that was 18 yers back so i'm not hopefull  {-) {-)
Ian

dan

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »

i now have the joy of creating my own etched deck  %%

Peewee

• Full Mayhemer
    • Paddleducks
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2010, 04:17:27 pm »

But think of the pride once done, your doing a great job.  we must catch up at wickstead tomorrow.
Ian

dan

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2010, 05:09:04 pm »

yea, ill be there, probably with my incomplete warship  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.