Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where's yer bin?  (Read 7307 times)

Bee

Re: Where's yer bin?
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2010, 12:05:04 am »

Just see what happens when the new coalition devolves more power to the regions as promised. <:(

We had weelkly bin collections . Our council told us they would provide 'extra bin collections' hooray. Then we got 'extra bins' and they collect them - sometimes.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 02:11:43 am »

In our little corner of Australia we have 2 wheelie bins, one for general waste, and the other for recyclables. All recyclable materials including paper, cardboard, glass, steel cans including empty aerosol cans, and plastic go into the recycle bin. Plastics are coded 1 to 5, clearly marked, usually on the bottom of the container. Numbers 1, 2 & 5 are recyclable, the others are not. All other waste goes into the general waste bin, which is collected weekly, and the recycle bin fortnightly. Simple  O0 BTW, the council actually provides the bins, the cost of which is probably (certainly??) included in the waste collection levy.

Regardless of all of the above, I am not convinced that all the recyclable material is actually recycled, as there seems to be something of a world wide glut of such material. The theory is good, but whether it works as it should in practice is another matter.

Peter.

vintagent

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 10:53:46 am »

Hmmph!...Bins?

Mungo got big bonfire!

Mungo not talk Councils.

Mungo not vote.

All crawl-a**es, want power.

Regards,
Mungo (Vintagent)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2010, 01:59:52 pm »

Mungo got big bonfire!

Mungo causes ash cloud then - not volcano?

Mungo's details now being circulated to all UK airlines..... :}

vintagent

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2010, 07:34:59 pm »

Mungo not like Tornadoes screachin' round all day from RAF Marham!

Mungo make BIGGER bonfire. O0

BTW We're a two bin council, but just down the road my son has three bins and a box!
Our council has just bought some Dennis half-and-half lorries that pick up both recycling and ordinary rubbish each week, but ...presumably only half as much!
£130,000 each!

When I were nobbut a lad, we had a single tin dustbin that was loaded into one of those Dinky toys with the roller sides.
It HAS to be all that packaging doesn't it?  Or were we just less wasteful?

Regards,
Vintagent

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2010, 08:44:35 pm »

We simply couldn't afford the goods then and couldn't generate this amount of waste in those days. Most things were wrapped in paper or cardboard and were much more environmentally friendly... with the exception of our coal fires of course and you know where the ash went! Thats why we had steel dustbins and dustbin men with bad backs.

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2010, 08:46:36 pm »

Mungo only pawn in game of life! Thats says it all really. :((

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2010, 08:49:34 pm »

When I were nobbut a lad, we had a single tin dustbin that was loaded into one of those Dinky toys with the roller sides.

On one of my first foreign holidays in 1967 we met up with a bunch of students in Salzburg who were touring Europe in one of those old roller siide lorries. They had converted the waste storage into sleeping quarters!

Colin

vintagent

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2010, 10:05:42 am »

Oh, Colin...pongy or what?

Those lorries used to stink something chronic!

As for ash we used it on the garden, mainly my two Nans who lived opposite and had HUGE gardens/allotments.

Sheerline...am I missing something about Mungo there?  I got the Mungo habit when I was living at the boatyard and we had a quiet, OK slightly retarded man who was immensely strong, some called him the Human JCB, but he spoke in that truncated way and the other guys christened him Mungo.  He could lift an oak plank for our boat on his own!!  He could also sink more tea than anyone I've ever known. We usually made a pot just for him!

Regards,
Vintagent

sweeper

• Full Mayhemer
  • When all else fails, read the instructions
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2010, 10:30:22 am »

So we try to do the right thing with regard to rubbish?
While spending christmas down in the south west we had a fair amount of packaging to be disposed of. Yes! Recycle it!
Removed all plastic packing and left the cardboard in the correct place for the weekly collection. It was all nice and dry having been under cover.

Went out shopping during which time it rained/sleeted/snowed.
Returned home to find a massive pile of wet soggy cardboard in the driveway.
Contacted local council to find out why it had not been taken.
Reply "Oh yes, we collected cardboard in your area today". Why was this soggy mass left?
"How large was it?"  It's mainly the packing from a large TV.
"Oh that's why it's still there, we only take small pieces of card that will fit through the hole in the side of the waggon".
And what are we supposed to do with this mess?
"Take it to the dump site" (Only about eight miles away).

So we are "green", I had to squash a pile of very wet packing down to get it into my car and dump it. (Ever thought of how to cut up card that is soaked?).
The first council official that mentions the G word to me will, very likely, get a blast that they will remember for a good while.

The official policy is now "be green - but only if you have SMALL pieces of packing".
Even my cat would laugh at this mess. 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2010, 11:36:41 am »

%% when we think about it more......it wasn't all that many thousand years ago that our forebears had fewer problems...........as they only needed to dispose of

1. a few dozen dinosaur bones that couldn't be used for anything else
2. left over dinosaur steaks from the BBQ that were rancid & even the animals would not eat them  >>:-(
3. human bodily waste
4. dead human bodies

They had no issues with the need to sort PET recyclable plastic to non recyclable plastic....green glass to clear glass....& oil was just still being converted from decaying carbon....to the precious $ as we know it today..... %% {-) O0 ;D :embarrassed: :D .....Derek

Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

vintagent

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2010, 01:07:28 pm »

Ah, so that's why they never dig up old galvo dustbins on Timeteam!

Vintagent

regiment

« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2010, 02:37:12 pm »

got no bins in perranporth only black sacks  collected weekly regiment

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:51 pm »

Hi Vintangent, what a coincidence this Mungo thing is. The film 'Blazing Saddles' contains a character called Mungo, he's built like an ox and actually rides one in the film. He is seen holding a barful of blokes back against a wall and speaks in a similar manner to that you portrayed in your comments. One of his lines was that which I quoted. I can recommend the film as a ruddy good belly laugh all the way through but I guess it's all down to each individuals humour. It's a Mel Brookes film and sends up just about everything and is totally non-pc..... right up my street! :-))

vintagent

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2010, 07:43:27 pm »

Hey Sheerline,
blimey, my memory must be getting bad. I'm sure I saw that film and loved it, but I can't remember a Mungo in it!
I agree it was a brilliant film with the coloured gentleman putting a gun to his own head and saying nobody move or the ****** gets it!

Yep. If it comes round again (and what doesn't on TV?) I'll be sure to watch it.
I reckon that's where my cohorts at the yard would have got the Mungo idea, they just didn't let on.

Regards,
Vintagent

PMK

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2010, 08:00:35 pm »

Ah, yeah - Mungo.
Didn't they have him chained to a tree in that breaking-wind scene?

Talking of whom...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU60tj1CDzg

sheerline

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2010, 11:04:35 pm »

PMK, behave yourself man... any excuse to get a bit of music going!! {-)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 23 queries.