Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PT-41 gun boat  (Read 3749 times)

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
PT-41 gun boat
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:05:44 pm »

This PT boat has a fibre glass hull and plastic superstructure, fitted out with a Graupner speed 600 motor and a Marine 15 amp speed controller, also there is the Italeri PT boat crew fitted, she measures 30inch length x 8inch width.

Thanks
Russ

Perkasaman2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: PT-41 gun boat
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 01:07:43 am »

Hi Russ, This is a lovely model based on the Scott Paine inspired American 77 foot Elco PT. The 41 was made famous in the book/film 'They were Expendable' for  carrying General MacArthur to safety from Corregidor. Paine received little recognition in the UK although his last hull design  (Hants & Dorset) post-war was for the RAF. Sadly, British Powerboats dissolved soon after WW2, although his excellent H & D hull form appears to have been largely adopted by Vosper for the RAF's next and last true  ASR, the 68 foot, Griffon powered RTTL's. I cannot recall a kit ever being available for this  1941 Plywood Derby Winner - but it's a credit to the builder.  :-)

Robert Davies

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 01:22:29 am »

Hello Russ,

What can you tell us about the build?

I wasn't even aware there had been a source for one of these early PT boats.

-Rob

ps To reiterate Perkasaman's recommendation, if anyone's at all interested in PT Boats, get a hold of the movie 'They Were Expendable' featuring John Wayne. There's some wonderful contemporary footage to be seen in that film - The less said about the film 'PT-109' the better as far as genuine PT Boats are concerned.....

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 05:00:30 pm »

Boat now sold.

Thanks

Russ

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 05:15:06 pm »

Although this was in the 'for sale' section, I've moved here.... just for reference to this type of boat.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

rathikrishna

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 02:28:13 pm »

SIR..i saw, one thing in your photo, is you have connected your motor directly to the final shaft..when i do like this my motor burns out quickly...i always use toy motors for my models. rated at 6 volts, i takes it from r/c toys..why this happening with me...?..will you help me once..?

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 08:03:02 pm »

SIR..i saw, one thing in your photo, is you have connected your motor directly to the final shaft..when i do like this my motor burns out quickly...I always use toy motors for my models. rated at 6 volts, i takes it from r/c toys..why this happening with me...?..will you help me once..?

Hi Rathikrishna.

For the motor to burn out then it might be taking to much power to turn the propeller.

If you use small motors then it is best to use a gear box to reduce the the load on the shaft.

Hope this helps

Ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

rathikrishna

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 08:21:04 am »

OHHH...Sir..i was wandering through all of your photos...excellent work....ohhh...ok Sir...i have collected some gearboxes, same from R/C toys, but even at 6 volts full, the RPM of the final shaft is too low, but with a high tourque....my craft not propelling much to foreward...what can i do to change these to my crafts...? please...

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 09:04:53 am »

rathikrishna,
There are lots of other sources for larger motors.
These include old battery drills and screwdrivers and bubble jet printers.
These larger motors will propell your models faster and can still give you a long time on the water.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

rathikrishna

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 01:57:59 pm »

GREATTTTTTT.......i got it....yummy yummy.....thanks again.........a million.......
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.