Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Plans for Royal Navy WWII chariot  (Read 11130 times)

George

Looking for Plans for Royal Navy WWII chariot
« on: May 21, 2010, 04:49:56 am »

Hello to All,

Is there anyone who has plans for a Royal Navy WWII chariot ? I would like to try to build in a scale size that could be made into a functional remote control static diving version. I understand there would be problems because of the figures riding it but I would like to try to build one. I just need plans of one with measurements and pictures with figures on it for detailing purposes would be very helpful.

Thanks In advance for your help.

George

pugwash

Re: Looking for Plans for Royal Navy WWII chariot
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:13:11 am »

If my memory serves me well  - when I was nowt but a lad I am sure there was a chariot in the Drill Shed at
HMS Ganges - probably ended up at the Submarine museum at Gosport - a telephone call should answer that
but the museum is well worth a visit anyway.

Pugwash

Deep Diver

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 07:31:52 am »

Hi George

Try the Association of Model Submariners, I do know that Alf Blake has one in his work shop, and I also think we still have some old Mk1 drawings in the office, will have a look when I get to work, the thing is I can only copy in A4 size.

PM me your address and if I still have them will post them off to you next week

Deep Diver

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 07:47:06 am »

Hi George

Contact A1 Down under models, they produce a fine Chariot, based in Ashbourne, UK....

Thanks

Russ

sjoormen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:03:19 pm »

Hi
Have you tryed this site:
http://www.heiszwolf.com/subs/

Look under plans ok2

admiral donuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 12:48:39 pm »

Hi George,I have a full set of Royal Navy Chariot drawings,all marked Most Secret,including a set for a Wellman Two Man Sub
Would these be what you want

Regards, Donuts 

Mankster

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wheelerdealer
    • RC Model Submarines
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 12:50:50 pm »

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 01:29:01 pm »

The late Steve Webb made a fabulous model of a Chariot which won a Silver at the ME some years ago. Unfortunately I never got to see it sail, but it did work well I believe.

I've attached some pictures of Steve's model. Note that the suits unfortunately rotted, I'm not sure what caused this, chlorine from a swimming pool perhaps?

The main problem with chariots is stability. If you use action men or other injection moulded figures, they're rather heavy, and this doesn't help lower the COG at all. I would look into making the bodies from foam, and using epoxy resin glass over the foam with some tissue, just to give the figures some rigidity. This should make a very light pair of figures which should help keep the model upright.

George

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 01:40:48 am »

Hi George

Contact A1 Down under models, they produce a fine Chariot, based in Ashbourne, UK....

Thanks

Russ

Can anyone give me a link to the above mentioned A1 Down under models ?  I tried a search and after 10 + pages, I could not see it.

Thanks,  George

George

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 04:09:11 am »

The late Steve Webb made a fabulous model of a Chariot which won a Silver at the ME some years ago. Unfortunately I never got to see it sail, but it did work well I believe.

I've attached some pictures of Steve's model. Note that the suits unfortunately rotted, I'm not sure what caused this, chlorine from a swimming pool perhaps?

The main problem with chariots is stability. If you use action men or other injection moulded figures, they're rather heavy, and this doesn't help lower the COG at all. I would look into making the bodies from foam, and using epoxy resin glass over the foam with some tissue, just to give the figures some rigidity. This should make a very light pair of figures which should help keep the model upright.

I remember Mr. Webb`s chariot. It was posted in several submarine websites. He even sold copies of his chariot. I wounder if there were any kits left after his passing away. I lost his contact information , would anyone know how to contact his wife to see if any kits are somewhere collecting dust and would like to find a new home?

Let me know please.

Thanks Again for your help.

George

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 11:33:27 am »

I wasn't aware that Steve kitted the chariot. I don't have any contact details I'm afraid.

Deep Diver

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 01:57:11 pm »

Steve only did the one, it was an old member of the AMS that did a run on the chariot, he was last seen in Mordon Essex,

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 08:10:25 pm »

That was Ron Evans wasn't it? Steve started out with one of his kits, but didn't think it was accurate enough and decided to grow his own.

A guy in Canada has built a chariot. It doesn't look as accurate as Steve's or Alf's, but he has had a good stab at it, and he may have some mouldings-

http://s181686668.onlinehome.us/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9690&p=56434&hilit=chariot#p56434

gingyer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 10:56:45 pm »

I used to have A1 models details and can't find them
If you ask A model world then they will have them as
he attends his shows :-))

George

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2010, 04:19:16 am »

Hello again

Thanks to All for your Help so far. One problem, since I live in Canada and my knowledge of model clubs is VERY limited, can anyone give me link to the club mention that the chariot builder may be a member of ?

Also Anymore pictures of R.C model versions would also be greatly be appreciated for detailing purposes.

Thanks Again to All.

George

6705russell

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem Forum is the Best!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 06:28:44 am »

Hi George,

This is the one i built from A1 models....

Russ

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2010, 10:21:11 am »

Hello again

Thanks to All for your Help so far. One problem, since I live in Canada and my knowledge of model clubs is VERY limited, can anyone give me link to the club mention that the chariot builder may be a member of ?

Also Anymore pictures of R.C model versions would also be greatly be appreciated for detailing purposes.

Thanks Again to All.

George

If you take a look at the link I posted to, you will see that the builder lives in Toronto, Canada.

George

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2010, 11:43:14 pm »

Hi 6705russell

Could you tell me when you bought the chariot model from A1 Models? I have been to both sites and I can not find it.

George
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.